Thomas Jefferson Medical College Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I've seen nobody is offering "good payment record" discounts due to the current crisis in the market. I did not like Wells Fargo, answering system like any big company and no discounts whatsoever. THE was the nicest but it looks like they don't know what the terms are going to be until midsummer (and does not look that good). Access had the best deal with a .25% reduction for automatic withdrawals. All of them 0% origination and default fees and one capitalization right before repayment starts. Please share your findings/opinions as I have not decided yet.

Consideration might also be given to "outside" lenders -- i.e., lenders other than the three that Jeff prefers -- if better service or terms are available.

Is there any variability in default fees or capitalization options?

Members don't see this ad.

Consideration might also be given to "outside" lenders -- i.e., lenders other than the three that Jeff prefers -- if better service or terms are available.

Is there any variability in default fees or capitalization options?

I've been looking but could not find anything better. Let me know if you do.

Yes, there is variability, but all the "preferred" lenders offer you the best option, no default fees and one recapitalization right before repayment.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen nobody is offering "good payment record" discounts due to the current crisis in the market. I did not like Wells Fargo, answering system like any big company and no discounts whatsoever. THE was the nicest but it looks like they don't know what the terms are going to be until midsummer (and does not look that good). Access had the best deal with a .25% reduction for automatic withdrawals. All of them 0% origination and default fees and one capitalization right before repayment starts. Please share your findings/opinions as I have not decided yet.

I felt exactly the same about Wells Fargo, plauto.
Access Group does have the .25% reduction, however THE does not capitalize interest during any deferment/forebearance you get during residency (Access Group does).
Anyone know which will end up being more important for us?
I am leaning towards THE. I just can't figure out if their suspension of consolidation, bonus, etc is really smart (why pretend there's not not a credit crisis, and respond accordingly?) or a sign of trouble.
This is why I didn't go into finance...

THE: "The T.H.E. Medical Program will only capitalize interest on your loans when your loans enter repayment status. When you complete your schooling and move into your grace period status, your interest is not capitalized. If you move directly from your grace period into a deferment or forbearance status, your interest is not capitalized. Not until your loan enters repayment status will your accrued interest capitalize."
Access Group: "Interest accrues during forbearance regardless of whether the loan was subsidized or not during school. This interest can be paid as it accrues or it can be capitalized at the end of the forbearance period."

I felt exactly the same about Wells Fargo, plauto.
Access Group does have the .25% reduction, however THE does not capitalize interest during any deferment/forebearance you get during residency (Access Group does).
Anyone know which will end up being more important for us?
I am leaning towards THE. I just can't figure out if their suspension of consolidation, bonus, etc is really smart (why pretend there's not not a credit crisis, and respond accordingly?) or a sign of trouble.
This is why I didn't go into finance...

THE: "The T.H.E. Medical Program will only capitalize interest on your loans when your loans enter repayment status. When you complete your schooling and move into your grace period status, your interest is not capitalized. If you move directly from your grace period into a deferment or forbearance status, your interest is not capitalized. Not until your loan enters repayment status will your accrued interest capitalize."
Access Group: "Interest accrues during forbearance regardless of whether the loan was subsidized or not during school. This interest can be paid as it accrues or it can be capitalized at the end of the forbearance period."

Thanks for sharing. Let me look more into this. I am planning on paying the interest as I go during med school though so probably I'll end up with Access.

Did any one who interviewed last week (march 12) at jefferson get a reply/decision?

Hello everyone. I am really looking forward to meeting you all this Fall. I don't have a chance to right now but I was thinking that we really need a facebook group. Anyone want to start one?

has anyone seen a match list for jeff this year?

No, but I've seen (rather heard) the Rads match: 16 and 4 into Jeff, which is a very good program. Keep in mind, their class is 220'ish.

I've been looking all over for it. I don't think they've posted it yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was searching the forums for info on what the class schedule will be like, and I found what I thought was a pretty sweet schedule: nothing before 10am, Fridays off, only 2 hrs on Tuesdays...then I realized the search function had put me in the pharmacy school forum. Oops.

no word yet

Last edited:
Could anyone tell me when i have to fill out this MPN stuff and choose my lender? I filled out all the other forms already and am under the impression that i need to wait until they give me the financial aid package before i pick a lender. Anyone want to help me out here? I have no clue what i am doing. Thanks

I am in the same boat as you. I believe we have time, at least until June when new interest rates come out and some lenders might change their terms. Don't quote me on this though, I was planning on checking with the fin aid office

Hey plauto, will you let us know what you learn from the finaid office re the mpn time-line? It would be nice to have more time to consider. We should all get the 6% rate though, since our loans will get disbursed after 7/1?

And can I just say, I was ridiculously excited about the facebook group? I can't go on at work, but I'll definitely be checking it out from home.
:banana:

I've been looking all over for it. I don't think they've posted it yet.

Jefferson, in the time that I've been here, has never posted a match list online. At the end of the school year, they will print a copy in the alumni bulletin - which is sometimes available online. They have paper copies available in the dean's office and the student affairs office, but nothing online.

If I get real ambitious, I may try retyping it. I don't know, though - it's pretty lengthy. The match list this year was EXCELLENT - some people got amazing residencies at top notch places. So that's encouraging. :)

I was searching the forums for info on what the class schedule will be like, and I found what I thought was a pretty sweet schedule: nothing before 10am, Fridays off, only 2 hrs on Tuesdays...then I realized the search function had put me in the pharmacy school forum. Oops.

I think I posted one somewhere last year - maybe the Jefferson 2011 thread.

I'll try to find it again. If there's no luck and (again) if I'm feeling ambitious, I can try typing something up...if I can find a copy of the first year schedule! :laugh: I don't remember exactly what the class schedule was like for first year. But I'll try to find something.

just posted on the Registrar's page:

Jefferson Medical College
Full-time, Tuition - $42,533
Information Technology Fee - $300
Library Fee - $200

that's some serious coin ... :(

Don't live in Jefferson Housing!

I'm a 4th year here at Jefferson, if I can give you one piece of advice, avoid Jefferson housing (Orlowitz and Barringer), especially Orlowitz at all costs. The following pertains to the Orlowitz Building:

1. The company that runs the apartment buildings owns/runs several building in Philly and it is my opinion they could care less about Jefferson student housing. I feel they know it is convenient, first years are promised a spot, and the rent is comparable and in some cases, slightly cheaper than other options in the area, but trust me, you will regret it.

2. There are mice in the basement (laundry floor) of Orlowitz and classmates on the lower floors have had rodent problems in the past.

3. The heating, while supposedly being fixed with a new system, is a major issue. It typically malfunctions a few times a year. This winter was the worse. For 3 weeks this winter, when it was 30 degrees during the days in the 20s/teens at night, the heating was not working properly. The way they handled the situation was horrible. They paid for you to stay in a Holiday Inn Express for a night if your room was cold, but you had to check out every morning, come back to your place, and if the heat still was not on (which it wasn't), you had to request the Holiday Inn again, spend the night, then check out again. I had a easy rotation and my unit held up relatively ok, but it was a major inconvenience, I can't imagine how bad this was if you had a demanding schedule (which is typical). Most people just used extra blankets at night because the Holiday Inn thing was a major inconvenience, especially with the time constraints in medical school and your life is in your apt. Also, PMC (Philadelphia Management Company) sent out a notice something to the gist of they expect all rent and won't be giving any discounts. Some students talked to some Jeff administrators about the heating issue. The Jeff administrators responded with a letter more or less stating the school was concerned, but PMC told them (the adminsitrators) stay away from the building (Jeff doesn't own the building).

4. Several units have problems with hot water in the showers at times.

5. Management has become more responsive over the last year or two, but if anything goes wrong in your apartment, you might have to ask 3, 4, 5 times to get something done. It has happened to me on more than one occasion.

6. There are 3 elevators there are several times 1 of them is broken or not working properly.

7. The plumbing must be horrible, there are several water shut downs per year for a few hours at a time. To their credit, we usually get advanced warning about this.

8. The heating/ac system is being overhauled, but this requires them to do work in your apartment, which could cause a major disturbance, if only for a short while. Believe me, when you are trying to pass anatomy, you won't want this.

I'm sure I could write more, most of the students at Jeff would probably agree with me. The building is a lot of 1st and 2nd years med students along with some students in other schools (PT, nursing, etc.), but there are a good amount of 3rd and 4th year students - I would say most of us have stayed despite the short comings because of the convenience of living across from the hospital and many of our our clinical sights AND the fact that we are settled here, the inconvenience of moving and finding another apartment was a huge issue for me as well. I really have loved my time at Jefferson, it is a great school, but I seriously would reconsider living here if you have the option to live somewhere else.

Ok, sorry to upset anyone, hopefully you don't cross off this school because of housing, Jeff is a great place to go to school.

I interviewed on Mar 12 and got a letter on March 23rd saying I was placed in the Alternate category.......what's my chances of getting in anytime soon??

Don't live in Jefferson Housing!

I'm a 4th year here at Jefferson, if I can give you one piece of advice, avoid Jefferson housing (Orlowitz and Barringer), especially Orlowitz at all costs.

You forgot to mention the frequent false fire alarms that go off in Orlowitz...at 3 AM...in the middle of January....

I really have loved my time at Jefferson, it is a great school, but I seriously would reconsider living here if you have the option to live somewhere else.

Absolutely - Jefferson is a good school, and there are MANY other places to live around here that are just as close, better in quality, and even more affordable.

Many people choose to live in Barringer and Orlowitz during 1st year to "get to know their classmates" - but this is NOT necessary. There are many opportunities to get to know your classmates without needing to live in Barringer or Orlowitz. (To be fair, there are far fewer complaints about Barringer than there are about Orlowitz.)

And some people don't like living in the student housing here anyway - they'd rather live some place where they can have pets, and some place that's sort of out of earshot of the hospital's helicopter pad....

I interviewed on Mar 12 and got a letter on March 23rd saying I was placed in the Alternate category.......what's my chances of getting in anytime soon??

It's hard to say - no one can really tell you how much waitlist movement there will be. But keep in contact with the admissions people and Dr. Callahan. If you really want to go here, be frank about that when you email them.

hiker123, u were there on the 12th too... wonder if i met u! did you get the notice via snail mail? or email?

I got a letter via snail mail..... So have you heard anything yet UCI Girl?

i haven't heard anything yet. I heard we would find out this coming week... still have my fingers crossed for jeff! lol

Haven't posted in a while but i just got back from the FA meeting. It was pretty standard stuff. You can pretty much get all the handouts online if you haven't gotten them in that first packet already. Other than that is was nice to see some of the people that will also be attending. The room was like a sauna.

Can anyone tell me where I can find information about the rent at the three housing options? I've been pretty busy with school and haven't done a huge search, but I haven't seen any prices where I've looked.

hello all!

so i got a call from dean callahan today! Im really excited.... but her message said congrats and that she had good news.... but im not sure if its an acceptance or a waitlist! I hope its an acceptance and I didnt misunderstand her! Anyone else with a similar experience?

do they call waitlist applicants?

So I too got the call from Dean Callahan!!!!!!!! SWEET! Took a little time but i got it!!!!!!!!! NICE Jefferson 2012!

congrats coolness! i hope mine was an acceptance call too lol!

Congratulations to those who have been recently accepted. You made me re-live that wonderful phone call. I look forward to meeting you.

I know 2nd look is April 24-25, but I haven't received an invitation yet. Has anyone else received an invitation? And is anyone else going to bring a significant other/spouse along?

I know 2nd look is April 24-25, but I haven't received an invitation yet. Has anyone else received an invitation? And is anyone else going to bring a significant other/spouse along?

got my invitation about 2/3 weeks ago. I asked about bringing my spouse to the night reception on the 24th but was told I can't. I'll try calling again though. Maybe if several people call....

I doubt that they will allow significant others since they were hesitant to let me come just because I deferred admission! I was told that I was "supposed" to go last year, but that they would let me join you guys...good thing since I already bought my plane ticket. :eek:

Hey everyone,
Does anyone know what is on the agenda for 2nd look? I am from Seattle and would like to make it over to Philly for a weekend vacation, but I can't make it until Thurs night, the 24th. I would love to get any feedback from someone that knows what will be happening during this event, especially on whether it is worth it for me to head over, even though I would be missing the Thurs portion of it.
Thanks!

Hey guys, I interviewed on the 19th of March, and still haven't heard back. I know people from the 12th just heard last week, so I'm still hopeful. Anybody from the 19th out there who has heard back? I'm nervous as hell.

:eek:

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone has a pet (dog or cat) and what they plan to do about that in terms of living arrangements. Are there any places for people to live with pets? I really don't want to leave my doggie with my parents...

Thanks!

Also, can someone tell me what a usual day of class looks like for 1st and 2nd year students? Approximately how much time will we be spending in class as an M1? Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. I have a dog and have been faced with the same issue. The on campus places obviously don't allow pets and I'm sure the frats dont either. That leaves getting a place on my own which is quite expensive. I've been thinking about trying to find someone to room with that either has a dog or is ok with dogs. I dont have many options and my fall back is to put he up for adoption which I cant bear to do. Anyone have any thoughts?

Rent in a dog friendly apt. There are tons of rentals around, and they aren't that expensive. Very comparable to what you would pay for Jeff housing. If you look now, you'll probably find a place near campus too.

Hey Jeff peoples. Anyone get an acceptance or any type of call from Dean Callahan yesterday? From what I've seen there's a backup in the schedule. Any body have any news or updates?!

Any input is really appreciated.

:banana:

I was just wondering if anyone else has received a phone call from Dr. Callahan recently? I got a call from her yesterday but I was in class, and by the time I tried to call her back she was out of the office. I called this morning and found out that Dr. Callahan is going to be out of town on vacation until the 21st of April, and no one there had any helpful information for me.

So my question is; Has Dr. Callahan called anyone else for any other reason than to inform you of an acceptance?

I would really like to attend Jefferson, so I am sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear what she needs to talk with me about. All she said in her voicemail was that she was sorry that she had missed me and that she would try to get a hold of me again before she left on vacation.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Any input would be great!:scared:

I'm in the same boat. I have a dog and have been faced with the same issue. The on campus places obviously don't allow pets and I'm sure the frats dont either. That leaves getting a place on my own which is quite expensive. I've been thinking about trying to find someone to room with that either has a dog or is ok with dogs. I dont have many options and my fall back is to put he up for adoption which I cant bear to do. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hello harshRX2012, maybe we could try to figure something out together. That might also be good because then our pups would have someone to play with while we are in class. Have you looked into any of the brownstone situations nearby? If we could find a few more people to rent a house maybe we could have a dog friendly home...just a thought but also I am married so my husband would be living with me too. We're very nice and clean :) Think about it. I can't bear to leave my pup either...

WSU, call Dr. Brooks she can tell you what your status is. I just got waitlisted.
good luck.

FFF981

Thank you for your reply.

Did Dr. Callahan call you to tell you that you were waitlisted?
I have never heard of a dean calling applicants just to inform them that they were waitlisted. Maybe I am just wishfully thinking.

Good luck to you as well!

Hey,

Do you guys know when orientation is? I haven't been accepted yet, but I'm planning a trip this summer and I don't want to miss out on the possibility.

Thanks! Hope to be seeing you all this fall. :)

I was wondering how formal everyone is dressing for Second Look. Suits and all or just a professional casual wear?

Hey everyone!

Im so ecited to attend jeff! But i cant make it to the second look.. these trips are getting pricey...

does anyone know if the school has anything to help students find roommates?? I really dont want to live alone

any suggestions?