Thomas Jefferson Medical College Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just withdrew a few days ago, so hope the spot goes to one of you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone seen a match list for jeff this year?

A friend of mine put this together (what a trooper).

It's a good list! Just make sure you remember a few points:

- schools/hospitals are known for particular specialties - big name places aren't always the "best" for a given specialty
- many places you likely won't have heard of prior to medical school are leaders in particular specialties
- a low number of matches in a particular specialty doesn't mean we did poorly (it depends on how many people chose to apply)
- there are less than 255 matches because the senior class had fewer students than the current freshman class
- there are a lot of Jefferson matches largely because Jeff's got lots of great programs plus many people want to stay (so I'm told by a number of seniors)

2008 Match List - Jefferson Medical College:

Anesthesiology (12)
Drexel
Harvard-BID
Jefferson (2)
Johns Hopkins
Mount Sinai
St. Vincent's Hospital
SUNY Health Science Center-Brooklyn
UC-San Diego
UPenn-HUP (2)
Yale

Dermatology (3)
Cleveland Clinic
Jefferson (2)

Emergency Medicine (19)
Christiana Care (7)
Drexel
Jefferson (3)
Stanford
SUNY Health Science Center-Brooklyn (2)
UMDNJ-R.W. Johnson
UMichigan
UNC
UPittsburgh
Temple

Family Practice (17)
Brown
Bryn Mawr Hospital
Cambridge Health Alliance/Tufts
Christiana Care
Excela Health/Latrobe Hospital
Hunterdon Medical Center
Image Family Medicine/Hillcrest Medical Center
Jefferson (2)
Lancaster General Hospital
Lehigh Valley
Middlesex Hospital
Oregon Health & Science University
Reading Hospital and Medical Center
Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa
UColorado-Denver
Valley Baptist Medical Center

Internal Medicine (49)
Baylor
Brown
Duke
Einstein/Montefiore Medical Center
Emory
Harvard-B&W
Harvard-MGH
Jefferson (12)
Johns Hopkins
Lankenau Hospital
Loyola University Medical Center
Mayo
Mount Sinai (3)
National Naval Medical Center
North Shore University Hospital-Manhasset
Northwestern
Oregon Health & Science University (2)
Rush
Scripps Mercy Hospital-San Diego
St. Louis
Temple (2)
Tufts
UChicago
UMass
UMDNJ-R.W. Johnson
UNC
UNew Mexico
UPenn-HUP
UPittsburgh (3)
UTexas SW-Dallas
WashU-Barnes-Jewish
Yale-Greenwich Hospital

Medicine-Pediatrics (2)
UMaryland
URochester

Medicine-Primary (1)
UPenn-HUP

Neurology (5)
Columbia/Cornell-NY Presbyterian-Columbia Medical Center
Jefferson (3)

Neurosurgery (1)
Barrow Neurological Institute

Obstetrics-Gynecology (14)
Columbia/Cornell-NY Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center
George Washington
Jefferson (2)
Johns Hopkins (2)
Orlando Regional Healthcare
UConnecticut
UMDNJ-R.W. Johnson (2)
UMissouri-Kansas City
UPenn-HUP
UTexas Medical Branch-Galveston
Virginia Commonwealth

Ophthalmology (11)
Case Western Reserve
Columbia/Cornell-NY Presbyterian
New York Medical Center-Brooklyn/Queens
NYU-North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System
Temple
Tufts
UFlorida-Gainesville
UPittsburgh
Wayne State
Wills Eye Hospital
Yale

Orthopedics (10)
Albert Einstein Medical Center
Duke (2)
Harbor-UCLA
Harvard-MGH
Jefferson
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-Shreveport
NYU
Tufts
UPenn-HUP

Otolaryngology (2)
Jefferson (2)

Pathology (1)
Harvard-B&W

Pediatrics (10)
Jefferson/duPont Children's Hospital
St. Christopher's Hospital (3)
UArizona
UMichigan
UPenn-CHOP (3)

Pediatrics/Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry (1)
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center

Psychiatry (6)
Jefferson (2)
Tripler Army Medical Center
UPenn-HUP (2)
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base

Radiology-Diagnostic (15)
Brown
Christiana Care (2)
Jefferson (4)
Kaiser Permanente-Southern California Region
Mercy Catholic Medical Center
Mercy Hospital
Morristown Memorial Hospital
Ohio State
UMDNJ-R.W. Johnson (2)
UMinnesota

Radiation Oncology (1)
Jefferson

Research (1)
UWashington

Surgery (15)
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Christiana Care
Jefferson (3)
Nassau University Medical Center
NYU
St. Vincent's Hospital
UArizona
UIllinois-Chicago
ULouisville
UVirginia
Yale

Vascular Surgery (2)
Dartmouth
Stony Brook

Urology (4)
Georgetown
Mount Sinai
Temple
URochester

Congratulations on being accepted!

I'm a first-year at Jefferson (!) and I've noticed a number of questions about the school (just joined SDN). I'll try to answer as many as I can (from my perspective). Feel free to post further questions about anything else you'd like to know!

Class Schedule:

Here's a typical first-year day (with some of my personal favorites added!*):

8-9: Wake up (*after the snooze bar x3)
  • *Roll onto the floor
  • *Check NYT/ESPN.com
  • *Shower (and all that jazz) and get dressed
  • *Get a large coffee from Wawa
  • *Breakfast? No time!
  • *Strut into class 5 minutes late (through the back)
----------------------- (school-mandated schedule) ------------------
9-12: Class
  • also available online as PowerPoints with attached audio - it's really good (and up within an hour of the lecture)
  • sometimes (rarely) starts at 8
  • most people go to class but it's not mandatory
  • *take notes in a frenzy (actually no, pretty much everything's in the course syllabi they provide)
12-1: Lunch (all activities optional)
  • frequent talks/gatherings for different interest groups accompanied by a free lunch (!) - e.g.: "A day in the life of a pediatrician", "Health policy and the future of medicine", "My summer in a rural clinic in Ghana", etc.
  • people often grab lunch together in the area (at one of a gazillion places)
1-3 or 4: Practical (hands-on, variable)
  • labs (anatomy, histology)
  • Small Group discussion (2 physicians + 8-10 students per group) - e.g.: "How to take a medical history", "Ethical issues in medicine", etc.
  • skills sessions (stethoscope usage, BP-measuring, etc.)
  • class (very rarely)
  • 2-3 times per week (other days this is free time)
----------------------- (school-mandated schedule) ------------------

4-7: Chill/Exercise/Dinner
  • *it's soothing to sit and do nothing
  • *I hate going to the gym but it's good for your lifespan (so they tell us)
  • *I often order in, pick up something from around the area, or grab food with some friends - this is variable: some people enjoy cooking
7-10/11: Work
  • *study (libs, coffee shop, my room, on-campus building)
  • *the length of studying is directly proportional to the proximity of a test
10/11-12/2: Random
  • *TV (esp. online), surfing the net, socializing, etc.
  • *winding down for bed
*there are also intermittent clinical visits with physicians that you schedule yourself throughout the year

Miscellaneous:

• on test weeks, pretty much everything turns into studying (surprise, surprise!)
  • tests are on Fridays so there's always a huge, well-attended class social (usually a random Philly bar or club) that evening
  • the "post-exam weekend" is completely free (and amazing!) and often spent hanging out with friends or heading out of the city - to NYC and DC, for example
  • the week after a test, people usually take things pretty easy in the evenings (i.e. select studying)
  • a couple of popular weekly social gatherings include pub trivia on Wednesdays and discount drinks at Marathon Grill on Thursdays
  • there's also always some kind of intramural sport going on in the evenings throughout the week (e.g. basketball, volleyball, softball, soccer, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, the first day of orientation/registration is Monday, August 4th. Here's the scedule new students were given (in case you want to let your parents/family members know as well):

http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/admissions/OrientationProgram.pdf

Good luck, I hope you get in and I also hope you have a great trip!

Also, an aside, I think I'm speaking for all of us newbies when I say thanks to people like you Jefferson2011 and all of the rest who are helping to answer our questions and get an idea of what to expect. Y'all rock!

Hey,

Do you guys know when orientation is? I haven't been accepted yet, but I'm planning a trip this summer and I don't want to miss out on the possibility.

Thanks! Hope to be seeing you all this fall. :)

I was wondering how formal everyone is dressing for Second Look. Suits and all or just a professional casual wear?
No suit for me. I'm wearing what I'd wear to work (blouse & slacks/skirt), on the advice of a friend (fellow med student.)

Has anyone received their financial aid award package yet? I am not sure whether I am late in receiving it or if they are still working on all of them.

Thanks.

Has anyone received their financial aid award package yet? I am not sure whether I am late in receiving it or if they are still working on all of them.

Thanks.

I've been wondering the same. calling fin aid now

thanks for posting your typical day, it helps a ton.

edit: so is there a consensus on which loan company to take? I still haven't chosen one. It seems as if all of them are pretty similar in that they charge the same interest rate, but am I overlooking something?

I was thinking the exact same thing! how do you choose your loan company??

And also does anyone know when classes actually start? I need to fill out that part on my housing application lol :rolleyes:

thanks for posting your typical day, it helps a ton.

edit: so is there a consensus on which loan company to take? I still haven't chosen one. It seems as if all of them are pretty similar in that they charge the same interest rate, but am I overlooking something?

Jefferson is aight...Anatomy kicked my *** (I still passed easily) and I had to work incredibly hard at it..but right now I'm coasting through physio..soo easy..enjoy your time off before school starts cuz anatomy will suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received the list of student hosts for second look yet? I think it's weird I haven't gotten it yet. Also, is anyone staying over in Philadelphia Friday night as well? I want to go to the bars with the medical frats but I don't want to drive 4 hours home 1) drunk, and 2) at 2 in the morning. :)

Has anyone received the list of student hosts for second look yet? I think it's weird I haven't gotten it yet. Also, is anyone staying over in Philadelphia Friday night as well? I want to go to the bars with the medical frats but I don't want to drive 4 hours home 1) drunk, and 2) at 2 in the morning. :)

I got it by email about a week ago but I deleted it and cannot post it here for you. Sorry!

Hey all....
Got an email on this a few days ago...hope it helps. (......PM me and I'll PM u back..) Thanks to all the Jeffersonians for all your help. I was considering living on campus but might start looking for other options. Still a lot to consider as I have absolutely no idea where or how to look. No worries though...or at least not till June :)

Hey all....
Got this on email a few days ago...hope it helps. (att.) Thanks all the Jeffersonians for all your help. I was considering living on campus but might start looking for other options.

Hey guys -

It's really great that you're willing to help each other out and share info like this! That kind of attitude is definitely prized and cultivated at Jefferson. :)

Also, an aside, I think I'm speaking for all of us newbies when I say thanks to people like you Jefferson2011 and all of the rest who are helping to answer our questions and get an idea of what to expect. Y'all rock!

No problem! If anyone else has any other Qs, just fire away.

Just another last minute plug:
Whether or not you're set on Jefferson, check out Second Look! It's immensely helpful, especially come May 15th ... and the days after if you get off a waitlist. You'll get to meet plenty of prospective and future classmates, which will give you an idea of what it's like to be at Jeff. Also, upper-years will definitely have plenty of golden housing advice for the surrounding areas.

Any news, Plauto?

yep, just got off the phone with them. Here's the scoop:
No reason to rush to get the MPN done. As long as all the other paperwork is filed you'll have your fin aid package on time. In fact, they recommended I wait until May. Jefferson is adding Chase to their preferred lenders list due to THE dropping out. Chase is starting a new program for med students (http://www.chasestudentloans.com/medical/index_chep.html)and the details are not going to be fully worked out until May. For those of you who haven't looket at it yet, there is a healthy discussion going on in the fin aid forum about lenders. Chase seems to offer the best deal at the moment. However, I am trying to find out whether in the future they can retroactively get rid of the benefits they are offering now. At least 0% origination and deafult fees are immediate benefits that can't be taken away later on (that is, for a previous year!).

yep, just got off the phone with them. Here's the scoop:
No reason to rush to get the MPN done. As long as all the other paperwork is filed you'll have your fin aid package on time. In fact, they recommended I wait until May. Jefferson is adding Chase to their preferred lenders list due to THE dropping out. Chase is starting a new program for med students (http://www.chasestudentloans.com/medical/index_chep.html)and the details are not going to be fully worked out until May. For those of you who haven't looket at it yet, there is a healthy discussion going on in the fin aid forum about lenders. Chase seems to offer the best deal at the moment. However, I am trying to find out whether in the future they can retroactively get rid of the benefits they are offering now. At least 0% origination and deafult fees are immediate benefits that can't be taken away later on (that is, for a previous year!).

wow wish I had known this, but thanks for posting! I already got my fin aid package... I filed the paperwork a few weeks ago.

I know it's tough, but wait it out before signing the MPN and choosing your lender. With THE dropping (THANKS), I think Chase is getting picked up. However, all of the "bonuses" they offer are limited in that they can throw them away at any time.

I'll probably go down to Finaid sometime this week and ask about how the direct lending program is going.

I know it's tough, but wait it out before signing the MPN and choosing your lender. With THE dropping (THANKS), I think Chase is getting picked up. However, all of the "bonuses" they offer are limited in that they can throw them away at any time.

I'll probably go down to Finaid sometime this week and ask about how the direct lending program is going.

direct lending....does Jefferson participate in that?

I was thinking the exact same thing! how do you choose your loan company??

And also does anyone know when classes actually start? I need to fill out that part on my housing application lol :rolleyes:

Pretty sure classes start August 11th and that orientation week is from August 4-8th.

Can someone tell me what time the revisit events start on Friday? I was planning to come down on Thursday for the reception but work has gotten in the way (boo...) and I sent back the invitation w/o making a copy of the schedule. Thanks in advance

Can someone tell me what time the revisit events start on Friday? I was planning to come down on Thursday for the reception but work has gotten in the way (boo...) and I sent back the invitation w/o making a copy of the schedule. Thanks in advance

8:30 am is breakfast, 8:45 financial aid overview starts, 9:30 is the welcome :)

Hey guys jefferson2011 was nice enough to post the the match list in another thread. Just so you guys don't miss it I thought I'd copy paste it.

The 2012 class thread is difficult to search for so I thought I'd make the link search-able by adding this thread under "Pre-Allopathic":

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=488127

Also, here's this year's match list!:
*<255 because the senior class is smaller than the current freshman class

2008 Match List - Jefferson Medical College:

Anesthesiology (12)
Drexel
Harvard-BID
Jefferson (2)
Johns Hopkins
Mount Sinai
St. Vincent's Hospital
SUNY Health Science Center-Brooklyn
UC-San Diego
UPenn-HUP (2)
Yale

Dermatology (3)
Cleveland Clinic
Jefferson (2)

Emergency Medicine (19)
Christiana Care (7)
Drexel
Jefferson (3)
Stanford
SUNY Health Science Center-Brooklyn (2)
UMDNJ-R.W. Johnson
UMichigan
UNC
UPittsburgh
Temple

Family Practice (17)
Brown
Bryn Mawr Hospital
Cambridge Health Alliance/Tufts
Christiana Care
Excela Health/Latrobe Hospital
Hunterdon Medical Center
Image Family Medicine/Hillcrest Medical Center
Jefferson (2)
Lancaster General Hospital
Lehigh Valley
Middlesex Hospital
Oregon Health & Science University
Reading Hospital and Medical Center
Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa
UColorado-Denver
Valley Baptist Medical Center

Internal Medicine (49)
Baylor
Brown
Duke
Emory
Harvard-B&W
Harvard-MGH
Jefferson (12)
Johns Hopkins
Lankenau Hospital
Loyola University Medical Center
Mayo
Mount Sinai (3)
National Naval Medical Center
North Shore University Hospital-Manhasset
Northwestern
Oregon Health & Science University (2)
Rush
Scripps Mercy Hospital-San Diego
St. Louis
Temple (2)
Tufts
UChicago
UMass
UMDNJ-R.W. Johnson
UNC
UNew Mexico
UPenn-HUP
UPittsburgh (3)
UTexas SW-Dallas
WashU-Barnes-Jewish
Yale-Greenwich Hospital

Medicine-Pediatrics (2)
UMaryland
URochester

Medicine-Primary (1)
UPenn-HUP

Neurology (5)
Columbia/Cornell-NY Presbyterian-Columbia Medical Center
Jefferson (3)

Neurosurgery (1)
Barrow Neurological Institute

Obstetrics-Gynecology (14)
George Washington
Jefferson (2)
Johns Hopkins (2)
UConnecticut
UMDNJ-R.W. Johnson (2)
UMissouri-Kansas City
UPenn-HUP
UTexas Medical Branch-Galveston
Virginia Commonwealth

Ophthalmology (11)
Case Western Reserve
Columbia/Cornell-NY Presbyterian
New York Medical Center-Brooklyn/Queens
Temple
Tufts
UFlorida-Gainesville
UPittsburgh
Wayne State
Wills Eye Hospital
Yale

Orthopedics (10)
Albert Einstein Medical Center
Duke (2)
Harbor-UCLA
Harvard-MGH
Jefferson
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-Shreveport
NYU
Tufts
UPenn-HUP

Otolaryngology (2)
Jefferson (2)

Pathology (1)
Harvard-B&W

Pediatrics (10)
Jefferson/duPont Children's Hospital
St. Christopher's Hospital (3)
UArizona
UMichigan
UPenn-CHOP (3)

Pediatrics/Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry (1)
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center

Psychiatry (6)
Jefferson (2)
Tripler Army Medical Center
UPenn-HUP (2)
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base

Radiology-Diagnostic (15)
Brown
Christiana Care (2)
Jefferson (4)
Kaiser Permanente-Southern California Region
Mercy Catholic Medical Center
Mercy Hospital
Morristown Memorial Hospital
Ohio State
UMDNJ-R.W. Johnson (2)
UMinnesota

Radiation Oncology (1)
Jefferson

Research (1)
UWashington

Surgery (15)
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Christiana Care
Jefferson (3)
Nassau University Medical Center
NYU
St. Vincent's Hospital
UArizona
UIllinois-Chicago
ULouisville
UVirginia
Yale

Vascular Surgery (2)
Dartmouth
Stony Brook

Urology (4)
Georgetown
Mount Sinai
Temple
URochester

does anyone have an address for the accepted students day on april 25th? i lost the letter they sent us

does anyone have an address for the accepted students day on april 25th? i lost the letter they sent us

4/24 5-7PM Hamilton Building, 1001 Walnut st

4/25 8.30 AM Bluemle life sciences building Room 101, 233 south 10th st.

4/24 5-7PM Hamilton Building, 1001 Walnut st

4/25 8.30 AM Bluemle life sciences building Room 101, 233 south 10th st.

The Hamilton Building is actually on Locust Street (still 1001) as it says on the inside of the card. I got here a day early and was surprised to find that the card says two different things...

So some people are going to start out at the wrong place??

The Hamilton Building is actually on Locust Street (still 1001) as it says on the inside of the card. I got here a day early and was surprised to find that the card says two different things...

So some people are going to start out at the wrong place??

you're right. It's on Locust!

anyone get accepted off the waitlist lately?

Initially I posted a rough experience that I had with Jefferson, but then I felt bad about going out and telling everyone about it. I guess that my initial reason for posting my story was to vent rather than to share/get imporatnt information.

I having been checking this thread fairly frequently to see if anyone has posted any new information about Jeff waitlist movement. Has anyone out there either been accepted off the waitlist recently or been in contact with the school and gained any useful information?

just wondering where everyone is.

I having been checking this thread fairly frequently to see if anyone has posted any new information about Jeff waitlist movement. Has anyone out there either been accepted off the waitlist recently or been in contact with the school and gained any useful information?

just wondering where everyone is.

I don't have any info about the waitlist, but I was sort of wondering the same thing. Where is everyone?...To answer my own question and yours, I think a lot of people are facebooking now. I have been talking to some people on it. You should find the link earlier in this thread and join. You may be able to get some better answers since there are a few first years that have been writing and whatnot.

Good luck to you if you're waiting and to those accepted and attending Jeff next year, CONGRATS! I am so excited to meet you all in the fall!

Jeff recommends several lenders, all of which appear to charge origination or default fees. Also, the language in Jeff's literature is a bit heavy-handed:

"The University Of
fi ce of Student Financial Aid strongly recommends ALL TJU students borrow Federal Stafford Loan funds using one of our suggested lenders. We make this recommendation to streamline the Federal Stafford Loan application process and ensure all students receive their Stafford funding in a timely fashion. Access Group, Chase, Citibank and Wells Fargo are national lenders with a track record of providing

excellent service and expedient disbursement of funds."
page 3: http://www.tju.edu/financialaid/JMCEntInt2008.pdf

What gives?

I was looking at the facebook group and there isn't too much waitlist discussion. As someone on the list, I am curious to find out if things are moving. Does anyone have any information to share?

Hey all, I've decided Jefferson is the place for me. So excited for August! Everyone seems so happy and the location and facilities are great. Except I still have no idea what to do about housing in August. I wouldn't mind living in the dorms (barringer) but I think an off-campus apartment would be cheaper and better.

If there is anyone still looking for a roommate for a 2 or three bedroom apartment I would be seriously interested. I am 22/m and likes keep a very clean living area. I would like rent to stay in the 600-750 range. Thanks!

Any updates from people on the High Priority List?? Has there been any movement?

Also...has anyone been in touch with Dr. Callahan/Brooks recently??

I'm SO nervous!!! :scared:

Has anyone completed their MPN? which lender are most of you going with? im thinking chase right now... whats everyone else doing??

Couple questions:
1. Does anyone know of any row houses near the school that they'd recommend? I'm looking for a 1 bedroom, preferably walking distance to the school (but open to other options as well).

2. Has anyone been able to open up the academic calendar for the year? Every time I try and open it i get an error...

Thanks!

Couple questions:
1. Does anyone know of any row houses near the school that they'd recommend? I'm looking for a 1 bedroom, preferably walking distance to the school (but open to other options as well).

2. Has anyone been able to open up the academic calendar for the year? Every time I try and open it i get an error...

Thanks!

housingmaps.com is a mash-up of google maps and craigslist, so you should easily be able to search for the type of housing you're looking for.

Couple questions:

Thanks!
You start with HF&D!!!! August 6th