Thoracic surgery questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dulop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a sense of the lifestyle in a thoracic practice (non-cardiac). What are the hours typically like in comparison to other fellowships and specialties? Is the pay holding steady and well compensated or is there speculation of a downward trend in reimbursement?

thx

Members don't see this ad.

Re: reimbursement
I don't think it is any different than any other surgical procedure, but I don't know the hard data.

I have a general question for people:

What difference do the hours make if you are enjoying what you are doing?

If you want to be a thoracic surgeon, it shouldn't matter if you are working 70 hours a week or 100 hours a week because you are doing what you want. If your primary concern is the number of hours you are working, then you should ask the question "what fellowships/specialties have the lowest number of hours worked?" and go from there. In fact, if you don't know the number of hours worked by a thoracic surgeon based on your experiences rotating with one, then you are still probably far enough removed from attaining said fellowship that (a) things will change by time you get there so everything said on this thread will be moot and (b) there are more relevant and general questions you can ask (as in, questions answered by the Cardiothoracic Surgery FAQ at the top of the surgery forum).