Thoracic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WantsThisBad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there is no forum for thoracic I figured ide ask here. How does one go about getting into thoracic surgery? Is there a residency specific for it or do you get to it through a different surgical residency route? Any help would be great. thanks - Nick

Members don't see this ad.

WantsThisBad said:
Since there is no forum for thoracic I figured ide ask here. How does one go about getting into thoracic surgery? Is there a residency specific for it or do you get to it through a different surgical residency route? Any help would be great. thanks - Nick

You should probably do a search since this is a fairly popular topic now - but in general, it's a 5-year General Surgery residency followed by a 2-3 year Cardiothoracic Surgery fellowship. Some residents choose to do research during residency, so that may push the duration to 7-8 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 3 pathways to thoracic surgery certification:

1) general surgery + fellowship = 5 +2/3 years
2) 4 + 3 general/thoracic pathway (done at same institution) -- certification in both general and thoracic
3) integrated 6 year program -- certification in thoracic only

So far, 4 programs I believe have pathway #2 -- WashU, UVa, Mayo, and UTSW. No program that I know of offers pathway #3.

anybody know of any programs doing the 6y (ish) thoracic only?
also who are the thoracic oncology felowships meant for?

Joel Fleischman said:
anybody know of any programs doing the 6y (ish) thoracic only?
also who are the thoracic oncology felowships meant for?
The Burgerman General. Guaranteed 400k Salary upon cert.

um......
at anyrate... My question regarding thoracic onc fellowships was asking are these intended for people right out of general surgery or are they for those post CT surgery fellowships?
I have heard that these Onc type fellowships do not give certification just the chance to claim expertise.

I believe the boards still written for C AND T, thus you need to have some exposure to C even if you just want to do T. I know BWH has a Thoracic biased programs... any others?

AJ2000 said:
2) 4 + 3 general/thoracic pathway (done at same institution) -- certification in both general and thoracic
3) integrated 6 year program -- certification in thoracic only

Does anyone have any more information on if/when the 4+3 and 6 year integrated programs will become more wide spread? Is there a trend toward replacing the typical general surgery + thoracic residencies with these two options, or will the new 80/8 hour work weeks result in longer residencies and thus and even longer time spent getting into CT surgery?