Those at Michigan...am i missing something about Ann arbor?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

pacbum

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
so any of you going to Michigan, whether it be undergrad, grad, dental, or whatever, what's so great about Ann Arbor? I heard that it was such a cool college town, but personally, when i was there, it wasn't anything that special. granted i may have been there during -20 degree weather, but just seems very barren. it seemed like all there was to do was go out on main street to a couple of places, or to go to state street. i imagined a much greater variety of things to do, and places to go out...so was i missing something?

i loved the dental school there. i loved the feeling of being part of a great institution of michigan. just wanted to know a little more about ann arbor.

Nasem

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2006
Lansing, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am from michigan, while I never attended ann-arbor, but Its common knowledge for us michiganians thats its one of the best schools in the country. ann-arbor has a very strong teaching background in technology areas (such as engineering / computer science / etc) and also thier dental program is legendary and is in par with university of detroit mercy's program.

both michigan schools of dentistry are amazing, I would love to be accepted in either one in the future....

Only down side is, michigan weather, like the saying goes "if you don't like michigan weather, just wait 5 minutes".

About the Ads

IheartTeeth

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
yea....its not a very cool campus in my opinion....but thats prolly because i'm in love with the beauty and splendor of MSU's campus and the East Lansing community....just plain amazing....so sad to leave :(

Nasem

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2006
Lansing, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
yea....its not a very cool campus in my opinion....but thats prolly because i'm in love with the beauty and splendor of MSU's campus and the East Lansing community....just plain amazing....so sad to leave :(

You go to MSU ? omg I do too lol.
This is my first semister actually... maybe you can tell me some tips on which profesors you liked and which you didn't for classes like orgo / biology / etc etc :)

mkogz5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2005
Cleveland
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
so any of you going to Michigan, whether it be undergrad, grad, dental, or whatever, what's so great about Ann Arbor? I heard that it was such a cool college town, but personally, when i was there, it wasn't anything that special. granted i may have been there during -20 degree weather, but just seems very barren. it seemed like all there was to do was go out on main street to a couple of places, or to go to state street. i imagined a much greater variety of things to do, and places to go out...so was i missing something?

i loved the dental school there. i loved the feeling of being part of a great institution of michigan. just wanted to know a little more about ann arbor.

ann arbor is amazing, i did my undergrad there. once you're there for 2 weeks you'll realize why, trust me. first, there is stuff to do 24/7, 2nd it is really really nice, clean, and safe, and 3rd... michigan sports/culture/people. it's amazing, trust me

pacbum

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
thanks for the replies everyone...

another question too, how bout transportation? when i was there taxis were really expensive. and there didn't really seem to be any public transportation. i have a car and a motorcycle but i dont think id bring them with me, mostly due to the weather. is your own transportation necessary? or can you get around without it?

ZafiraAQP

10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
uhmmmm i am starting to like Michigan now!!!!!!!!!! Tell me more!!!!!!!! how about the dental school itself?

pacbum

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
again thanks for all the info guys

i loved the actual dental school...seemed like they had a really well rounded program, and you start clinical work from your first year (read about their vertically intergrated clinics). i also like integrated science classes...my opinion is it will help on the new boards.

the one thing holding me back was the city of ann arbor as opposed to some other cities on the east coast (like boston, ny, or philly) but you guys seem to love ann arbor. i think i'd love the feeling of being a part of a school as spirited as michigan, so makes the decision very tough at this point. but thanks again for all the input. any more input would be greatly appreciated.

hey cbr, do you ride a cbr? i ride a kawi...want to bring it, but afriad of the winter there. where do you store the bike during the winter...is storage cheap there?

bisulfite

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
Undergrad here,

I absolutely love Mich and I wouldn't trade my experience here for anything. The sports (btw the Indiana game was tight), the social life, the world class facilities and faculty, and one of the most classic college towns ever make this place truly amazing. The school is so large and diverse that you meet new and interesting people everyday.

There are few things I genuinely dislike about mich. Firstly, the weather can get sickening after a while. That first snowstorm of the year is always magical, but after that you're just like, "When is this gonna end?" Secondly, the work can be horrendous at times, almost to the point that there's not enough time. All nighters in the ugli are commonplace here, and if you were to walk in on any given night around 2 or 3 am at any library on campus, there will be a slew of students trying to finish work. But, I really think this makes the campus exciting, lively, and intellectual. Everyone is smart and tries their hardest to excell, which definitely rubs off on everyone else.

Other than those few, measly complaints, I'd recommend Mich to anyone who wants the classic college experience.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.