Those Damn Unofficial Withdrawals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McBatCommander

Loser Looking To Succeed.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So 4 years ago, as my 18 year old self, I start my first semester of college. Turns out I was not nearly ready and stop going two months in, resulting in unofficial withdrawals. I called that school today and asked if there was any process that I can go through to petition those into coming off my transcript. Turns out that unless I attend the school and take them there, and assuming they are required for my major, I will retain them. Well I live in another state now so that clearly isn't happening. So here I am worried about what kind of impact that will have in the years to come. I finished this semester with all A's, but knowing that I have a bunch of F's that will linger and inadvertently drag my GPA in the end hurts my morale.

So I am just wondering the opinion on what I should do. Now, the classes were Spanish I, Gen Psych, Bio 1 w/lab and College Algebra. I think my school combined the Bio lecture and lab into one grade, but does anyone from experience know if this means two F's, or will it still it be one? And does anyone have any ideas at all of getting around this?

So far I've taken Gen Psych and College Algebra and came out with A's, and hope to do the same with the other two classes. So I figure that as long as I spend the rest of my semester rocking out the high grades, and keep a gpa that will at least get my foot in the door once they are converted for the med schools, I can simply explain myself and they will hopefully ignore that first bad semester.

So anyone with experience with this sort of situation got any words of wisdom or advice? I don't want to think I'm out of luck so early in the game. If all it takes is to work even harder, then so be it. I don't even mind.

Members don't see this ad.

It definitely won't be a deal-breaker. It's just something you have to explain in your app. If you have a recent history of consistent scholastic success, a few bad grades from freshman year won't keep you from getting into medical school.

DO schools will do a grade replacement if the classes are equivalent and if the repeat has the same amount of credit hours or more.

As far as if your bio grade is one F or two, you will need to order a transcript and see for yourself. It's pretty school-specific.

Good luck.

Same position as you for different reasons. It'll hurt but I don't think it'll be a problem in the end. I've went through what are my chances forum a bajillion times and I'm pretty sure I know what people would say If I posted my stats right now. You could go through there and find threads that are similar to your situation. If I posted right now I'd get a lot of SMP and DO responses.

But not really. Even with a few F's, if you can point at your transcript and tell them thats when you decided on medicine it won't be a problem. But kind of in the position don't talk about it, be about it. Have a really strong upward trend and keep it up, and by the end of the process you'll have a shot MD. (ok so maybe, depends how bad it was, but you get my drift yeah?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of the WAMC forum, I would suggest taking a peek at the post-bacc forum and the non-trad to see how people have overcome low GPAs.

For the record, I have a few Ds and Fs on my transcript. I didn't do an SMP and I'm in an MD school right now. I don't think a few bad freshman grades will keep you out of a good portion of MD-granting med schools.

what is the policy in retaking classes to replace old grades?

Does AMCAS take every single grade you've ever had in your life no matter what?

As in, are there any loopholes I could exploit to avoid that GPA bomb?

From the sounds of most posts not really. That postbac forum is def worth a look too. If they were like, college classes that didnt count for credit: Like say you had to take a writing class before you could take comp I, could be possible. I had one of those. but on the official transcript it says 0 credit hours or something like that.

Naw, I don't think so. I could be wrong though, but I haven't heard of any weird loopholes. Texas has a fresh start program after 10 years or something. AMCAS asks for transcripts from every college.

No loopholes. They want every single college class you ever took even if it was from the 60s. Texas schools use a different app.