Those Familiar With The Cali Terrain (Cali Residencies)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clement

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK...I'm hoping someone will save the day by telling me, "it ain't so..."
There are rumors floating around at my school that the USMLE is pretty much a must if you wanna have a shot at most Cali residencies.
I'm interested in psych.
Online, UCSF's psych department looks like this:
MD
MD
MD
MD
MD
MD
MD
No token DO
MD
MD
MD

Now the Fresno UCSF has some DO's.

Anyway, do I HAVE to take the USMLE? I've been studying for three months and my NBME's are telling me that I'm passing by mere hairs. On the other hand, I feel confident about the COMLEX based on practice exams.

PLEASE CHIME IN!!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyway, do I HAVE to take the USMLE? I've been studying for three months and my NBME's are telling me that I'm passing by mere hairs. On the other hand, I feel confident about the COMLEX based on practice exams.

PLEASE CHIME IN!!

Hey there,

Touro-DO grad. Took USMLE. Did well. Matched in psychiatry at respectable program . . . on the East Coast.

Psych + DO + West Coast = extremely difficult proposition.

Psych + DO + West Coast - killer USMLE score = no solution

If it's at all consoling, the West Coast is tough for DOs, regardless of specialty, period. (The lone exception being perhaps family med, but that ain't no cake walk either.)

Notice I say "West Coast" and not just California.

I can give you more details if you wish, but that's my overall experience from friends and people in my class.

bth