Those funny little questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What do we put for those funny little secondary questions that ask you about any special or unusal experiences. If you ahve something that stands out can you explain in more in that section?? Or is it to explain something like aleave of absence,felony, or poor grade. I don't wanna look like a jerk, but i also do not want to miss out on an interview because someone didn't understand what I have done. Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Those questions are there for you to tell the adcom what makes you different than their other applicants. I think the strategy is to focus on a POSITIVE experience you've had that not many other people would have.

Take me for example: I was a firefighter trainee with my school's fire dept. I bet not too many people have done that, so I talked about it. Also, while the majority of people do research, I wager that not too many people have to train monkeys to perform a task as part of the experiment. I did, so I talked about that. By the way, I was asked about both of these experiences in my interviews.

So I'll say it again: Basically, this is your chance to tell them what makes you special. AND it gives them more stuff to ask you about at interviews, so pick stuff that you can and would want to talk about in greater length and detail.

I wrote about swimming at an NCAA Div. I school , and how swimming shaped my character, and afforded me many opportunities. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, I was speaking for the TMDSAS app. I noticed you were from TX. I am not sure about the AMCAS app.

Hopefully you don't have a lot of felonies that need to be explained away. :wink:

Seriously, use this opportunity to write more about special, and yes, positive things that stand out. I wouldn't include explanations for poor grades or that sort of thing. Instead, include things that aren't necessarily premed-related, and that therefore wouldn't really fit in your statement, but that you want the committee to know (and ask you) about. Like UCMonkey said, this is a great place to give the committee interview fodder.

Best of luck!