Those of you spending your intern year close to home, what's your plan for med school loan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowlightfox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm spending my preliminary year at a hospital near my house before I move off to a place much further for my residency, and since I'm not yet married or fell under any other such types of circumstances, I did not mind living with my family during this year. Because of the fewer number of financial obligations I have compared to my peers doing residencies much further away, I was exploring the option of how to take full advantage of this year for the sake of paying off the loans.

Are any of you doing your preliminary year or first year of residency in a similar position? Have you gotten any useful financial advice or tidbits you would like to share?

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of posts on the general residency forum of SDN discussing similar questions. It depends on how much you can tolerate your family, what your financial goals are, etc.

There are a lot of posts on the general residency forum of SDN discussing similar questions. It depends on how much you can tolerate your family, what your financial goals are, etc.

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd use the opportunity to dump money into my student loans or invest rather than spending it on housing. Probably investing over paying off loans since the interest rate is set to 0% for a while. But a financial advisor would better be able to answer those questions.