Quantcast

Those of you who frequently use Anki/similar, about how many cards do you study on average?

Achieve USMLE Step PREP Success | Picmonic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowlightfox

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, do you make your own decks or do you use pre-existing decks made by others?

I'm curious to know about how many cards do you see yourself looking over each day on average. I recently adopted the flash card strategy, and I really liked it so much that not only do I use it when learning another language, but it also actually improved my MCAT score significantly, and I want to continue using Anki in medical school.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, do you make your own decks or do you use pre-existing decks made by others?

I'm curious to know about how many cards do you see yourself looking over each day on average. I recently adopted the flash card strategy, and I really liked it so much that not only do I use it when learning another language, but it also actually improved my MCAT score significantly, and I want to continue using Anki in medical school.

I just started using FC and used Memorang for the last course of M1 (clinical microbiology), now I use both everyday to review for an hour or so. I'd say in totally it's between 80-140 flashcards that I go through. It's really quick and I'm just doing a "do I know this or not" kind of thing and f I don't know it I read the answer in full to freshen up.

shadowlightfox

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started using FC and used Memorang for the last course of M1 (clinical microbiology), now I use both everyday to review for an hour or so. I'd say in totally it's between 80-140 flashcards that I go through. It's really quick and I'm just doing a "do I know this or not" kind of thing and f I don't know it I read the answer in full to freshen up.

Damn. 80-140? Now I feel I might be using too many flashcards for me. When learning Japanese, on busy days, it's about 400 cards I usually review. Takes on average 45 minutes overall. The most I've ever went over in one day was I think 600?

t5Nitro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Damn. 80-140? Now I feel I might be using too many flashcards for me. When learning Japanese, on busy days, it's about 400 cards I usually review. Takes on average 45 minutes overall. The most I've ever went over in one day was I think 600?
I usually range between 500-1000 cards/day. I tend to make 70-100 cards per lecture. 600 is a good number.

shadowlightfox

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I usually range between 500-1000 cards/day. I tend to make 70-100 cards per lecture. 600 is a good number.

How long does it usually take for you to review your cards? I assume you're making it via Anki, right?

t5Nitro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it usually take for you to review your cards? I assume you're making it via Anki, right?
I make them with anki and then it might take me 2-4 hours to go through them. I never pay much attention to the time. Making them takes the longest.

FourniersGreenGang

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey @AlteredScale, what do you think of FC/Memorang? I was considering using one but I've just heard so many mixed things, just wondering your take.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey @AlteredScale, what do you think of FC/Memorang? I was considering using one but I've just heard so many mixed things, just wondering your take.

I started using memorang during our microbiology block of M1 but I used some of the second years cards and it was a great source for recalling the material. Been trying to use FC the whole summer but I'm no too sure how effective it is yet :/ the whole system seems a little hectic with grading the cards based on how well you know it but it seems like it's just like anki?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

runwodgg

Reaction score
Been trying to use FC the whole summer but I'm no too sure how effective it is yet
11.gif

Dr Tony T. Chopper

Professional Whippersnapper
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been asking around for a while now but, is starting FC on day 1 a good strategy for a solid foundation come dedicated time? I've already done the three hole punch FA thing so I'll be annotating along the way by adding loose leaf notes inside so dunno if I should use both.