Those of you who get A's in medical school, how do you study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superior_vena_cana

Reaction score
I know pre-clinical grades mean mostly squat but what are some of you doing to get information to stick? I'm mostly scared of boards because I've noticed it takes me a LONG time to become acclimated to new material while many of my peers get it dialed down very fast, even if it's just reading notes or attending lecture. Anki seems to work for me after I have learned the material but it seems I hit this point too late in the game before a test. Sketchy, FA, BnB are great but typically the details tested on in-house exams go way beyond the detail of those resources.

I'm not lazy and willing to try new methods to move up but just wanted to hear what others have/are doing. I usually hit the 80-85 mark on exams but really want to make sure I rock boards.

PS I'm still a 1st year.

Members don't see this ad.

Watch BnB, hammer zanki, hammer the in house PPs the few days before the test. Rinse and repeat. When you start systems throw in Q banks.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I know pre-clinical grades mean mostly squat but what are some of you doing to get information to stick? I'm mostly scared of boards because I've noticed it takes me a LONG time to become acclimated to new material while many of my peers get it dialed down very fast, even if it's just reading notes or attending lecture. Anki seems to work for me after I have learned the material but it seems I hit this point too late in the game before a test. Sketchy, FA, BnB are great but typically the details tested on in-house exams go way beyond the detail of those resources.

I'm not lazy and willing to try new methods to move up but just wanted to hear what others have/are doing. I usually hit the 80-85 mark on exams but really want to make sure I rock boards.

PS I'm still a 1st year.
I use Anki as my 3rd pass of the material, so I watch a lecture on 2x speed and take notes, review those notes in detail, then make cards from that and do those cards every day till test day. For instance today I did 840 reviews between Zanki and my cards (but usually I do around 450, we had some thiccc a** lectures last week for neuro). Also BnB and some FA (also only a first year, not all A's but doing well)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1) Watch BNB/pathoma/rad costanzo/whatever on relevant topics

2) Cram all of the zanki cards related to said videos/topics within first few days of a block

3) Spend the remainder of block going over lecture-specific points, practice q's, etc.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

PS I'm still a 1st year.
My best students use a multitude of sources, including, but not limited to:
Lecture notes
BnB
Anki/Zanki
UWorld
FA
Pathoma
Goljian [sp?]
Sketchy Micro

Repetition drives learning and retention.

See also:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Anki/Brainscape/Drawing = holy trinity (for me at least)

• Love
Step 1: Watch Pathoma (this is for 2nd year if you're in a systems curriculum, so for 1st year you can use BnB-- you want something that will give you a good bird's eye view of everything)

Step 2: Watch decent professors' lectures on 2x speed. I say decent because you honestly shouldn't waste your time watching lectures from professors who don't know how to teach and just word vomit on the powerpoint slides. I have certain professors who I know I will always watch, and certain ones who's powerpoints I never even click on.

Step 3: Highlight important points while watching the lecture. Do not highlight everything, or you're defeating the purpose....

Step 4: Look at how many Zanki cards are in the deck for the system you're on. So, if you're a 1st year doing cardio, click on the cardio phys deck and see how many cards there are. Divide that by number of days till the test (I usually try to go 5 days to a week before the test so I can have a few days to have seen the cards)

Step 5: Zanki grind, top priority every day

Step 6: Review highlighted parts of powerpoints at the end of every week leading up to the exam

Step 7: Practice questions the day or two before the exam.

Step 8: Profit

This has been my method and so far in M2 I've been around 10% above the average on every exam.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I’ve got mostly B’s, but I also attribute that to being a single mom who doesn’t study in the evenings/weekends, with the exception of an hour a night after kiddo goes to bed. I listen to lecture/read the PP, do Draw it Know it, Draw out everything (very kinesthetic learner), Picmonic, Sketchy, Osmosis. I also work on call as a nurse and actively look at patients symptoms and try to figure out their diagnosis before I look it up. I find that has helped me immensely on getting clinical correlations on exams. The straight theory stuff I utilize Osmosis and PowerPoint notes the most.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the responses everyone! It seems that I have to hit the material from multiple angles not just PP, this may help too since I often have a hard time picking out what's important vs whats not, but if I see something on Osmosis, BnB, Sketchy as well as class PP I can probably guarantee it's important.

I suppose the class that has made me second guess myself as future doctor is one in particular: Gross Anatomy.

I have never felt so clueless in my life as in that class which is actually making me depressed since I have leaned towards surgery since undergrad and this class alone has made me rethink if I even have what it takes as an OMS I. Also it seems that a lot of those additional resources don't cover the detail that my lectures do.

Thanks for the responses everyone! It seems that I have to hit the material from multiple angles not just PP, this may help too since I often have a hard time picking out what's important vs whats not, but if I see something on Osmosis, BnB, Sketchy as well as class PP I can probably guarantee it's important.

I suppose the class that has made me second guess myself as future doctor is one in particular: Gross Anatomy.

I have never felt so clueless in my life as in that class which is actually making me depressed since I have leaned towards surgery since undergrad and this class alone has made me rethink if I even have what it takes as an OMS I. Also it seems that a lot of those additional resources don't cover the detail that my lectures do.
Anatomy is it’s own beast and school specific. Outside resources won’t likely help. For boards, the anatomy in uworld/Zanki is more than enough.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Anatomy is it’s own beast and school specific. Outside resources won’t likely help. For boards, the anatomy in uworld/Zanki is more than enough.

Want to point out that the MSK/Anatomy stuff in Zanki is an absolute killer for COMLEX as well. I didn't do it and really wish I had, because I definitely left some points on the COMLEX table by not doing so.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

[/QUOTE]

Draw it to Know it. Seriously. It saved my life in Anatomy, along with the ‘Complete Anatomy’ app for IPad. In addition, I think it’s through SUNY, there is cadaver lab practice quizzes for identification. HUGE help. My professors are so detailed that OMS 3/4 tell us in 1/2 that we don’t even need to really study for the Anatomy portion of COMLEX - and they’re right. With those two apps alone I’m able to keep up with the insanely detailed stuff they want us to remember. Anatomy is kind of school specific, but those two resources are AMAZING. I can’t recommend them enough.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a basic question and the answer is probably "go through these resources as many times as necessary" but for a slow learner like me how many passes do you recommend for each resources?

For example on BnB do you watch it once? Twice? Three? Do you take notes? Do the quiz right away or later on?

Draw it to Know it. Seriously. It saved my life in Anatomy, along with the ‘Complete Anatomy’ app for IPad. In addition, I think it’s through SUNY, there is cadaver lab practice quizzes for identification. HUGE help. My professors are so detailed that OMS 3/4 tell us in 1/2 that we don’t even need to really study for the Anatomy portion of COMLEX - and they’re right. With those two apps alone I’m able to keep up with the insanely detailed stuff they want us to remember. Anatomy is kind of school specific, but those two resources are AMAZING. I can’t recommend them enough.
[/QUOTE]
I just tried the free trial on it! Did you draw it from scratch every time or fill in labels over and over?

This might be a basic question and the answer is probably "go through these resources as many times as necessary" but for a slow learner like me how many passes do you recommend for each resources?

For example on BnB do you watch it once? Twice? Three? Do you take notes? Do the quiz right away or later on?
Depends on the time you have and how much reinforcement of the material you need. First pass should be just listening, no notes or anything. Just really focus on the material. For Pathoma, sometimes I'll do a second pass where I'll add little notes in the margins of the book that goes along with it. One time I did a third pass the day before the exam because I wanted another general overview. It just depends honestly.

So I got an Apple pen and I draw over it as I watch it. Then I may draw it all by hand, I’ll draw it on whiteboard, I’ll print it off and draw it....whatever I need to grasp it. It usually takes me watching it once and drawing it once to commit it to memory/understanding.

Watch BnB, hammer zanki, hammer the in house PPs the few days before the test. Rinse and repeat. When you start systems throw in Q banks.

Do you make your own Anki cards for your in house PP slides/lecture recordings? I did this earlier in the year and it worked very well, but consumed 100% of my time. It would feel nuts/impossible to try and add Zanki to the schedule.

Reference: made 500 new cards every 2 weeks + did all daily review. Let the deck RIP when moving onto materials for the next exam.

Last edited:
BnB + FA annotating
Sketchy micro and pharm
Pathoma

Do the above + watch lecture and re-write ppts day before exam.

Profit.

Made Anki cards from school lectures and add any extra information from First Aid/ BnB/ Pathoma, etc, depending on what review source I use for specific lectures, but my school is great about teaching board-relevant material so YMMV.

This is pretty typical though. What I did extra to really get into the 90s consistently was tie in each card I was doing to another subject. i.e. When doing renal and doing a card on the physiology of a specific part of the nephron, I’d name whatever physiology I was covering, then ask myself what drugs act there, and diseases related to pathology at that specific segment. It took longer and I didn’t do it for EVERY card, cause I didn’t always remember to, but subject integration is key to doing well on boards. A lot of people tend to just study everything separately and don’t tie concepts in with each other.

I realized that for me to get As, I had to spend far too much time memorizing random minutiae. When I stopped doing that, I started getting mid to high Bs and had far more time to be a normal person. For me, it was just what was more important. But, my studying is basically BnB, pathoma, sketchy and then cram class ppts. Seems to work out. It’s just not that fun cramming the ppts.

1574304360262.png

Reactions: 7 users
I realized that for me to get As, I had to spend far too much time memorizing random minutiae. When I stopped doing that, I started getting mid to high Bs and had far more time to be a normal person. For me, it was just what was more important. But, my studying is basically BnB, pathoma, sketchy and then cram class ppts. Seems to work out. It’s just not that fun cramming the ppts.

I’m an M4. I cannot emphasize this enough. You have to decide what your goals are and what’s most important to you. A’s in medical school require memorizing a lot a facts with questionable clinical relevance. If getting high Bs and having the extra time is important to you, do that. Now you have to take into account future career goals as well, and I will say I busted my ass the first two years and it paid off because it aligned with my career goals and personal objectives.

With all that said, I cannot emphasize spaced repetition enough. My system that I found successful was go through lectures and BnB (which becomes the best resource when you reach systems based lectures) taking notes directly into first aid. I would take notes in margins or on a separate sheet of paper. (I had my FA hole punched and placed in a large binder). I would make MY OWN anki cards from the notes. By this time you have had two passes between taking the notes and going back to make Anki cards. Pound Anki while doing questions. I would take a Zanki card and add it to my deck if I missed the question due to poor application or lack of knowledge ( not due to reading error, etc.) lastly sketchy micro + pharm and their associated Anki. This system is time consuming but once you reach the Anki questions phase it reaps benefits continuously with minimal effort. I never took a day off (Anki 7 days/week). I also went to a school that lecture wasn’t mandatory which allowed me to review lectures at my pace usually after BnB because lectures Can be parced down to clinically relevant for you current level and test relevant(the rest can be ignored). I found that if you could be a couple days ahead on BnB/Anki making then going back to review lectures and add Anki cards was easy peezy. Then the week before the exam is pounding Anki and questions. This translated exceptionally to step studying where you can reset your deck and pound even more questions without much thorough review required.
Anki cards: I encourage making your own because the process is learning, however time consuming. If you use someone else’s cards you inevitably have to edit them. Also don’t just make cards with facts, really emphasize why something happens such as a particular symptom in a disease. I basically made Anki cards the way goljan thinks.

Questions are what i feel gives me that edge. I start doing questions as early in the block as possible. Biggest mistake is to wait until you feel like you know the material to do questions. You learn sooo much from doing them. I do all of the Rx and Robbins/Cotran qustions for each block for second yr. First year i did all the BRS and lippincott bchem, BRS anatomy and lippincott micro but wish I had done Rx for micro and bchem last year. I start the blocks by seeing how many hours of video (BB sketchy pharm/micro and Pathoma) i have to watch and how many questions (Rx and robbins) i need to do to finish until 5 days before the systems block exam and break up hours of video and number of questions by the day (comes out to about 15- 20 questions per day. Schedule to finish everything about 5 days before exam this way you can get 2-3 passes. I also do the anki pepper decks for each sketchy video and see those about 2-3 times before the exam (get anki on your phone to maximize your time here). When I answer questions I do them all first in a row without looking at answers and reviewing them till the end (dont do a question then review the answer just do them all then review). At the end i review the questions and look up and retype the answers I got wrong typing the ones i got wrong in a word document based on the information on that topic/question in First aid robbins and pathoma which helps really drill it in. I am using the questions to guide my studying in this way. 4-5 Days before exam I review my word document and do a final pass through first aid and pathoma chapter by writing out all the stuff I feel weak on. Keep in mind this schedule brings me to about 10 to sometimes 12 hrs per day studying but it gets me As but like anything if you want As youre gonna have to bust your butt. In the long run boards will be more intuitive so its not useless time spent. Oh yeah i dont really study class material lol i cram whatever is in the class slides that wasnt taught in FA Pathoma sketchy the 1-2 nights before. There is enough overlap that when youre skimming the class slides you know most of everything at this point because sattar ryan and sketchy are so darn good and thorough

Last edited:
Questions are what i feel gives me that edge. I start doing questions as early in the block as possible.
I think this depends on the person. I've been 10-15% above average on every exam this semester, and I save questions till a day or two before the exam. I find that I get nothing out of "learning" from questions, it just makes me anxious feeling like I know nothing and I feel like I've wasted the questions (I always remember answers if I try to go back and do the questions again). I use the questions to test myself at the end. I've heard of people doing it both ways, though, so I think it's just whatever works for you! I use other resources to learn and then tackle questions when I feel ready. Definitely would recommend Robbins as well for second year, I've done all of the questions for every block thus far and they're pretty helpful.

I think this depends on the person. I've been 10-15% above average on every exam this semester, and I save questions till a day or two before the exam. I find that I get nothing out of "learning" from questions, it just makes me anxious feeling like I know nothing and I feel like I've wasted the questions (I always remember answers if I try to go back and do the questions again). I use the questions to test myself at the end. I've heard of people doing it both ways, though, so I think it's just whatever works for you! I use other resources to learn and then tackle questions when I feel ready. Definitely would recommend Robbins as well for second year, I've done all of the questions for every block thus far and they're pretty helpful.
Yeah i get that. I think doing questions when you know nothing is a waste of time but I have found doing them when you know at least something it has been helpful for me. I usually wait till ive done pathoma for the block which usually takes me 2 days and then I start doing questions so ive at least seen the material even if I dont know it ive seen it once. the questions are sort of a second pass for me and then my third pass is reviewing the answers. The reason i like doing them early is because it guides my studying since topics that are asked in questions are usually important topics so i dont waste time on lower yield stuff thats all. The more questions the better

Last edited:
Questions are everything.
Colleagues and staff at my school say if you do 5,000 questions you'll get at least 50th percentile.

My issue was always just doing a ton of review, anki, etc. I've def flipped the script on that bc I know you have to for boards.

Doing 10-15 on a day on Rx, and then reviewing the QUESTION with BnB/Sketchy/FA/Pathoma is gold.
Everything sticks better bc you are associating it with a question and seeing it in an actual boards style presentation.

Last edited:
  • Love
Questions are everything.
Colleagues and staff at my school say if you do 5,000 questions you'll get at least 50th percentile.

My issue was always just doing a ton of review, anki, etc. I've def flipped the script on that bc I know you have to for boards.

Doing 10-15 on a day on Rx, and then reviewing the QUESTION with BnB/Sketchy/FA/Pathoma is gold.
Everything sticks better bc you are associating it with a question and seeing it in an actual boards style presentation.
Most of the kids I know who got 250+ did at least 6500-7000 questions so that makes sense. Im sure after a certain amount you get diminishing returns but I could see doing 5000+ would likely get you a score higher than 50 percentile if youre doing everything right

Most of the kids I know who got 250+ did at least 6500-7000 questions so that makes sense. Im sure after a certain amount you get diminishing returns but I could see doing 5000+ would likely get you a score higher than 50 percentile if youre doing everything right
Yup - have a buddy in Touro NV who did 7,000+ and copped a 249.

Are you an OMS2?

"Learning" from UWORLD is a must though...

Questions are what i feel gives me that edge. I start doing questions as early in the block as possible. Biggest mistake is to wait until you feel like you know the material to do questions. You learn sooo much from doing them. I do all of the Rx and Robbins/Cotran qustions for each block for second yr. First year i did all the BRS and lippincott bchem, BRS anatomy and lippincott micro but wish I had done Rx for micro and bchem last year. I start the blocks by seeing how many hours of video (BB sketchy pharm/micro and Pathoma) i have to watch and how many questions (Rx and robbins) i need to do to finish until 5 days before the systems block exam and break up hours of video and number of questions by the day (comes out to about 15- 20 questions per day. Schedule to finish everything about 5 days before exam this way you can get 2-3 passes. I also do the anki pepper decks for each sketchy video and see those about 2-3 times before the exam (get anki on your phone to maximize your time here). When I answer questions I do them all first in a row without looking at answers and reviewing them till the end (dont do a question then review the answer just do them all then review). At the end i review the questions and look up and retype the answers I got wrong typing the ones i got wrong in a word document based on the information on that topic/question in First aid robbins and pathoma which helps really drill it in. I am using the questions to guide my studying in this way. 4-5 Days before exam I review my word document and do a final pass through first aid and pathoma chapter by writing out all the stuff I feel weak on. Keep in mind this schedule brings me to about 10 to sometimes 12 hrs per day studying but it gets me As but like anything if you want As youre gonna have to bust your butt. In the long run boards will be more intuitive so its not useless time spent. Oh yeah i dont really study class material lol i cram whatever is in the class slides that wasnt taught in FA Pathoma sketchy the 1-2 nights before. There is enough overlap that when youre skimming the class slides you know most of everything at this point because sattar ryan and sketchy are so darn good and thorough

What do you recommend for OMM practice questions? Or is that something you just cram without doing practice questions?

As an OMSI, when do you recommend starting UWorld?

-Again, I'm a "slow learner"
As far as questions,

I know people say to use it ASAP (second year) bc it's such a strong learning tool.

But I believe in having all sketchy pharm/micro down block 5, then start with 5-15 questions Rx questions block 6, block 7 continue Rx and add in some UW on wknds to slowly build up to that level, and dedicated of course only UW.

Last edited:
My school has mandatory attendance, which I hated the first year, but absolutely loved the second year.

The reason for this change of heart was because in second year my curriculum became "systems based" and therefore all the classes complemented each other, and the tests were all given together. This meant the Rat Race of a Physio Exam Week 1, Biochem Exam Week 2, OSCE/PD Exam, OMM Practical Week 3, and so on so forth went away and I could really focus on actually having all my lectures done BEFORE class with my notes all organized and set up.

I would bring all my completed Anki flashcards to class, annotate them with whatever pertinent facts were being presented that day, go home, study, prepare for next days lectures, and so on so forth.

Always doing many questions whenever you get the chance.

I utilized BRS in the first year a lot for additional questions.

There is no "trick" - You just need to do the work. Some people like big picture and moving into smaller details (Board prep first --> Hone in on class lectures for "minutiae" -- But I'm the opposite, I saved Board Prep resources "big picture" stuff for later because the devil is in the details and I much rather like to understand the difficult things and paint my own picture, then see how it fits in with the board review big picture concepts.

Sorry for the tangent but, basically, my advice is you have all your lectures/notes reviewed before class for annotation purposes, and utilize your board prep to help hone in on major concepts.

I hate myself so I watch every second of every lecture my school assigns. I don't have a life. ^_^;

My school has mandatory attendance, which I hated the first year, but absolutely loved the second year.

The reason for this change of heart was because in second year my curriculum became "systems based" and therefore all the classes complemented each other, and the tests were all given together. This meant the Rat Race of a Physio Exam Week 1, Biochem Exam Week 2, OSCE/PD Exam, OMM Practical Week 3, and so on so forth went away and I could really focus on actually having all my lectures done BEFORE class with my notes all organized and set up.

I would bring all my completed Anki flashcards to class, annotate them with whatever pertinent facts were being presented that day, go home, study, prepare for next days lectures, and so on so forth.

Always doing many questions whenever you get the chance.

I utilized BRS in the first year a lot for additional questions.

There is no "trick" - You just need to do the work. Some people like big picture and moving into smaller details (Board prep first --> Hone in on class lectures for "minutiae" -- But I'm the opposite, I saved Board Prep resources "big picture" stuff for later because the devil is in the details and I much rather like to understand the difficult things and paint my own picture, then see how it fits in with the board review big picture concepts.

Sorry for the tangent but, basically, my advice is you have all your lectures/notes reviewed before class for annotation purposes, and utilize your board prep to help hone in on major concepts.

I hate myself so I watch every second of every lecture my school assigns. I don't have a life. ^_^;
I can’t believe Touro is still doing the traditional curriculum first year and systems second year. It makes no sense.
Also, shout out to Dr. Bruno and the Fish.

I can’t believe Touro is still doing the traditional curriculum first year and systems second year. It makes no sense.
Also, shout out to Dr. Bruno and the Fish.
Its really not bad, I appreciate the intense basic sciences prior to coming into systems. Now I can draw all my own connections as I review year 1 material for board prep XD

I miss me some Bruno lol

Loved reading all the responses on this! Without wanting to hijack the thread: do you guys recommend Rx over Firecracker? Looking for something with spaced repetition throughout M1 until starting Uworld.

Does anyone organize the lectures powerpoint notes into a word document? If so, how do you do it? I did that this 1st semester and I can definitely say I won't be doing that for this second semester because it was honestly a total waste of time.

Not sure why you're asking this if you already know it's a waste of time. This was my study method in undergrad and also agree with your assessment that it's grossly inefficient for med school.
Does anyone organize the lectures powerpoint notes into a word document? If so, how do you do it? I did that this 1st semester and I can definitely say I won't be doing that for this second semester because it was honestly a total waste of time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Not sure why you're asking this if you already know it's a waste of time. This was my study method in undergrad and also agree with your assessment that it's grossly inefficient for med school.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile
Oh ahaha sorry. I was wondering if anyone does it differently that might make it worthwhile.
Thank you :D