Those of you who got into Columbia HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoWork91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm applying to dental school this summer and really want to get into Columbia (two reasons - it's a good school and my significant other will be in New York). My stats are at their average (at least last year's) so I need help with other parts of my app! I have a lot of everything - community service, research, lots of dental clinical experiences, etc. but not sure what I should focus on and highlight in my application, particularly in the personal statement. These are the kinds of things I want to know:

What did they like about your application and why do you think they invited you for an interview?

After going through the interview, getting to know the school and speaking with adcoms there, what does it seem like they are mainly looking for in applicants?

If you have no idea, it's okay. I'm just wondering if you were given any insight into this kind of stuff anywhere along the road. I'm not looking to portray myself as something I am not and I'm sure as hell not going to make anything up. I just want to know what kind of things to highlight and elaborate on to increase my chances of getting an interview there.

Thanks in advance guys!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted this cycle. I had solid stats but I think it was mostly my personal statement and I had two really good letters of recommendation (along with two average/mediocre). My interviewer referenced both my unique ps and my good letters and it definitely was a huge factor for my acceptance, along with a good interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't Columbia like high DAT scores? I think I've read this before on SDN.

Diversity

Sorry I'm a little dense sometimes, are you saying being a minority helps with acceptance at Columbia? Or are you saying diversifying your application to include a wide range of excellence in different important areas (GPA/DAT/LoRs/PS/EC/etc)?

I'm interested in applying there as well and am curious.

Yes, a high DAT is really important. They told us at the interview that either we had a really high DAT, or there was something else about us they found interesting.

Also, OP, consider NYU, UPenn and Temple if your goal is to be near NYC. Philly is just a quick (2 hr) bus or train ride away. You can also consider the Boston schools (BU, Tufts and Harvard.) Boston is a 4-5 hour bus ride and you can find cheap tickets.

P.S. I'm not trying to dissuade you from applying to Columbia. I wish you the best for your application. Just wanted to give you some other ideas as well. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, a high DAT is really important. They told us at the interview that either we had a really high DAT, or there was something else about us they found interesting.

Also, OP, consider NYU, UPenn and Temple if your goal is to be near NYC. Philly is just a quick (2 hr) bus or train ride away. You can also consider the Boston schools (BU, Tufts and Harvard.) Boston is a 4-5 hour bus ride and you can find cheap tickets.

You wouldn't by chance know the avg GPAs of the accepted for Columbia?

I don't know if they've calculated this year's, but you can find the past year's on the website. I believe it's usually around a 23.

I don't know if they've calculated this year's, but you can find the past year's on the website. I believe it's usually around a 23.

http://dental.columbia.edu/page/class-statistics

They want some high stats and have 80 seats. 3.6 GPA overall/science and 23/23 AA/TS. I have a higher DAT (24/25) but a much lower oGPA (3.2) (also have 200+ hrs of shadowing).

Do you think I'd be wasting my time and money applying there?

Last edited:
C/O 2016 - 22.9 DAT, 3.6x GPA. Diversity goes beyond being a minority.

http://dental.columbia.edu/page/class-statistics

They want some high stats and have 80 seats. 3.6 GPA overall/science and 23/23 AA/TS. I have a higher DAT (24/25) but a much lower oGPA (3.2).

Do you think I'd be wasting my time and money applying there?

Well, I am not an admissions director, and I haven't even heard back if I was accepted/waitlisted/rejected, but no, I do not at all think you would be wasting your money. My impression is that they care more about the DAT than a GPA anyway, and your DAT is exactly what they are looking for. Obviously these things are crapshoots but I think you have an excellent shot. Make sure to apply early... (although I'm not sure they care about that as much... one of the admissions directors told us repeatedly that they review all applicants and some of her favorite students had applied later... though I don't think it's worth the risk.) So yes. Apply.

Well, I am not an admissions director, and I haven't even heard back if I was accepted/waitlisted/rejected, but no, I do not at all think you would be wasting your money. My impression is that they care more about the DAT than a GPA anyway, and your DAT is exactly what they are looking for. Obviously these things are crapshoots but I think you have an excellent shot. Make sure to apply early... (although I'm not sure they care about that as much... one of the admissions directors told us repeatedly that they review all applicants and some of her favorite students had applied later... though I don't think it's worth the risk.) So yes. Apply.

Okay thanks. I was just looking for your opinion. I know you're exaggerating to be nice, that's okay. I'm going to visit in person one of their advisers sometime before app opens up and see what they say and how they feel about my app. Some advisers don't like hurting peoples feelings so they soften their words, that's why its better to go in person so you can sense their initial emotional reaction about your app, its a more accurate tell. I'm definitely going to apply as early as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thanks. I was just looking for your opinion. I know you're exaggerating to be nice, that's okay. I'm going to visit in person one of their advisers sometime before app opens up and see what they say and how they feel about my app. Some advisers don't like hurting peoples feelings so they soften their words, that's why its better to go in person so you can sense their initial emotional reaction about your app, its a more accurate tell. I'm definitely going to apply as early as possible.

Ryansgs are you from the New York area? Do you have easy access to the school? I'd go speak with an advisor too but I'm not that close to New York

I think that's a great plan, but I also do honestly think you have a really good shot. :)

P.S. I'm not trying to dissuade you from applying to Columbia. I wish you the best for your application. Just wanted to give you some other ideas as well. :)

Yep, I plan to apply to NYU, UPenn and Temple as well. I have a 22AA/22TS with no section below a 21 but I understand this isn't considered really high at Columbia. That's why I need to make the rest of my app very attractive.

I know it's too big of a risk to retake...

Oh no... I wouldn't do a retake. If it makes you feel any better, I only had a 21AA/22TS and I got an interview. I did have other life experiences though, and I think that is what helped me.

Ryansgs are you from the New York area? Do you have easy access to the school? I'd go speak with an advisor too but I'm not that close to New York

Going there will kill a day for me, so I'm going when I have a day off from class. Though if I do get accepted I have family living near there with whom I can live with and that would give me easy access in the future.

Last edited:
Yeah I won't retake. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

As someone else said, diversity goes beyond being a minority. I think I was accepted there because I have a few years of work experience, a non-science major, have lots of community service and a desire to serve the under served. They are looking to have all sorts of different personalities to make a well rounded class, much more so that most of the other schools I interviewed at it appeared. Plus, you do need the numbers.

Ah, if only I could achieve that coveted 23 GPA... My B+ in gen chem has lowered me all the way to a 3.95.

:p

Did all of you guys have really interesting and catchy personal statements?

Did all of you guys have really interesting and catchy personal statements?

Well, I think we all hope that our personal statements are interesting and catchy, and no one really writes one intending for it to be boring or unoriginal, lol, but yes, I think that mine is what helped me to gain an interview. Basically, without getting too specific, what I wrote about is why I had originally chosen my previous career, and what lead me to want to leave that job and begin a career in dentistry. I had worked in low income communities before, and it was what initiated my interest in public health and specifically, dental health.

I was told by my interviewer at a different school that my back story helped me to stand out. Also my DAT was a little lower than the Columbia average, so I am pretty sure that having a back story helped me to gain an interview. Anyway, I think it's a good idea for you to think about experiences you've had that have lead you to this career path. I mean, for example, since I had worked in low income communities, I have demonstrated that I have a real interest in seeking out people who need our help the most. I think it's easy for anyone to say that they want to do service work as a dentist, but if you show that you have a history of doing that, the adcoms are more likely to really believe you. So, whatever your reasons are for entering the dental field, think about what you've done in your life that demonstrates that you will continue to do that. Maybe you are an artist and you like using your hands, and you want to use your talents to help people to feel confident and smile more. Or, perhaps you've worked one-on-one as a tutor and you really enjoy working individually with a person and helping them to understand concepts that they didn't previously understand. Maybe you are a business person and you want to someday own a practice in field that will benefit your community.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Best of luck.

P.S. If you do get an interview, I do remember my Columbia interviewer harping on the fact that I had no demonstration of manual dexterity. Sooo, if you really care enough, and want to be able to prove this to your interviewer... better start learning how to knit now, lol.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I got interviewed and accepted almost entirely due to my GPA (3.897 when applying) and DAT (24 AA/25 TS).

On a side note, how do people know the quality of their letters of recommendation? Someone in this topic mentioned having some good and some average letters.

Last edited:
Well, I think we all hope that our personal statements are interesting and catchy, and no one really writes one intending for it to be boring or unoriginal, lol, but yes, I think that mine is what helped me to gain an interview. Basically, without getting too specific, what I wrote about is why I had originally chosen my previous career, and what lead me to want to leave that job and begin a career in dentistry. I had worked in low income communities before, and it was what initiated my interest in public health and specifically, dental health.

I was told by my interviewer at a different school that my back story helped me to stand out. Also my DAT was a little lower than the Columbia average, so I am pretty sure that having a back story helped me to gain an interview. Anyway, I think it's a good idea for you to think about experiences you've had that have lead you to this career path. I mean, for example, since I had worked in low income communities, I have demonstrated that I have a real interest in seeking out people who need our help the most. I think it's easy for anyone to say that they want to do service work as a dentist, but if you show that you have a history of doing that, the adcoms are more likely to really believe you. So, whatever your reasons are for entering the dental field, think about what you've done in your life that demonstrates that you will continue to do that. Maybe you are an artist and you like using your hands, and you want to use your talents to help people to feel confident and smile more. Or, perhaps you've worked one-on-one as a tutor and you really enjoy working individually with a person and helping them to understand concepts that they didn't previously understand. Maybe you are a business person and you want to someday own a practice in field that will benefit your community.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Best of luck.

P.S. If you do get an interview, I do remember my Columbia interviewer harping on the fact that I had no demonstration of manual dexterity. Sooo, if you really care enough, and want to be able to prove this to your interviewer... better start learning how to knit now, lol.

Ahhh thanks so much! You're awesome!

Ahhh thanks so much! You're awesome!

Aww, you are very welcome. :) I remember the stress of trying to get into school in order to be near my significant other so I completely understand where you are coming from. Everything worked out for me though and I am sure that it will for you, too!

Aww, you are very welcome. :) I remember the stress of trying to get into school in order to be near my significant other so I completely understand where you are coming from.

In the same boat. It narrows the options, eh?

Hey guys, so I'm applying to dental school this summer and really want to get into Columbia (two reasons - it's a good school and my significant other will be in New York). My stats are at their average (at least last year's) so I need help with other parts of my app! I have a lot of everything - community service, research, lots of dental clinical experiences, etc. but not sure what I should focus on and highlight in my application, particularly in the personal statement. These are the kinds of things I want to know:

What did they like about your application and why do you think they invited you for an interview?

After going through the interview, getting to know the school and speaking with adcoms there, what does it seem like they are mainly looking for in applicants?

If you have no idea, it's okay. I'm just wondering if you were given any insight into this kind of stuff anywhere along the road. I'm not looking to portray myself as something I am not and I'm sure as hell not going to make anything up. I just want to know what kind of things to highlight and elaborate on to increase my chances of getting an interview there.

Thanks in advance guys!! :)

Simply stated -- to get an interview there you must have ~23 DAT and a decent GPA. To get an acceptance, you need to stand out during your interview -- this is where your life experiences and uniqueness plays a role.

Simply stated -- to get an interview there you must have ~23 DAT and a decent GPA. To get an acceptance, you need to stand out during your interview -- this is where your life experiences and uniqueness plays a role.

I'd generally agree with this. I don't think you HAVE to have a 23; I know people who have gotten interviews with a 21. My GPA was a bit below their average, but my interviewer told me that they took into consideration the prestige of my undergrad, and my personal statement/letters of rec were distinctive.

I think they really just want to see what you're like and how you'd fit into the class. I knew a girl with a 3.9 and a 25 who wasn't accepted after interview, so they definitely look at other things besides just numbers.

Speaking of Columbia, I was accepted Dec 3, informed them 20 minutes later I wouldn't be attending. Never heard anything back from them after that until today, but today I received a rejection e-mail from them lol. I guess they don't handle rejection well.

Speaking of Columbia, I was accepted Dec 3, informed them 20 minutes later I wouldn't be attending. Never heard anything back from them after that until today, but today I received a rejection e-mail from them lol. I guess they don't handle rejection well.

Omg, similiar thing happened to me. I withdrew my application after i got accepted elsewhere. I didn't hear anything back from them... until a couple of days ago. They sent me an rejection email. Your post made me wonder if they were originally going to reject me or if they don't want me because I didn't want them. lol. Oh Columbia...

I withdrew my application after my interview. I hate their IVY LEAGUE attitude. My DAT scores are 20 AA btw still got the interview there.

I withdrew my application after my interview. I hate their IVY LEAGUE attitude. My DAT scores are 20 AA btw still got the interview there.

Wait expand on this ivy league attitude. Were they really snobby?

hey im going there next year, i wouldn't say snobby but they talked their students up (which i liked). ex- saying to the interviewees about the low amount of preclinic hours that "our students dont need as many preclinic hours than most schools because we accept a different caliber of student than most schools and they come out even better with less hours"

columbia all the way i am so excited to start :D:D:D:D:D:D

i have a 4.0 with 23aa
a lot of publications, able to finish college a year early
good amount of community service, interesting research (astrophysics, programming)
i dont think my research or jobs i've done came up during my interview though i honestly cant remember what we talked about its really relaxed and i loved the environment

best of luck to you :)

Interesting...during my interview day, no one said anything like that.

Is fewer preclinical hours a good thing or a bad thing? I could really see it being either.

I think this is pretty much spot on. The only other thing I think you need to get an interview is a diverse application with a lot of extracurriculars.

Could any current dental students weigh in on whether you would prefer to have fewer or more preclinical hours?