Those of you who have taken the MCAT, what is the best thing to do in the final week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMightyTexan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is subjective, hopefully someone will have some good advise for me.. I would normally cancel, but considering 2015 is approaching I will take my chances and score this one. What is the most high yield at this point learning things I don't know to well, solidifying and reviewing what I do know, reviewing old aamcs, taking more practice tests, taking a break, etc? Just tell me what you would have liked, or what you did that you liked, I know there is probably not one best thing, thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just doing passages everyday and reviewing topics I forgot about ... and some flashcards. Nothing too fancy. I'm doing the last practice test today, so after this I will just spend all of the aforementioned things :) Oh, and some verbal passages each day.

Throughout my MCAT studying I made flash cards for questions/topics that I missed or was weak on. I went over these cards in my last week, took my last aamc's a few days before my real exam, and revisited some passages from my content review that I was weakest on.

Test yourself intensively the first half of the week. That means do timed practice on your weaknesses over and over with a thorough review of every question (thorough does not mean spend 5 minutes reviewing a question because you think you should - it means understanding the question, the answer choices, the language, and the explanation completely and why you either faltered or succeeded. This could take anywhere from 1 minute to however long you need).
The second half of the week should be lighter - review your AAMC practice tests and look at the big picture. Ask yourself: What were the types of questions I got incorrect? Why?
And also just as importantly - Flashcards! Keep everything as fresh as you can.

Good luck on your test!

Members don't see this ad :)
My exam is also in a week (9/18), I'm also confused as to how I should be spending my time.
I have gotten 30's (10 across) on the previous two AAMCs I've taken (AAMC 8 and 9) and going to take 10 today at 1pm, hoping to see improvement but I keep getting the easy questions wrong, and rarely miss the hard ones so I don't know what's wrong. Anyone have any advice? I also finish the PS section with about 20 min left so I should probably spend more time thinking on each question so I don't make any stupid mistakes. I just know the real MCAT will be exponentially harder and I really need to score above a 30. Any advice?

I screwed myself by starting SN2EDs 3 month schedule, and not sticking to it because of work and I rarely did practice passages. Just content review, and even that I read up to chapter 7-8 in the TBR books, have a week to finish up the final 2 chapters for each science. I let the MCAT taking over my life and don't have much to show for it, it's bad. A week is a lot of time so I'm trying to stay positive and not burn myself out before the exam.

I will be taking 2 FL's (10 and 11) and spend the other 4 days just taking passages and reviewing (maybe 1/3 of the TBR passages for 2 chapters per science a day?? That's about 6 hours of passages a day, and spend another 6 reviewing them?)
Too stressed out.

For me personally, i feel that there are tests where i can focus and excel because i'm "in the zone" there are other tests i can't and do poorly on. While content can always be worked on, i'm wondering if i can improve my testing focus...perhaps that would be more beneficial at this point.

It depends on what you've already done. If you haven't done the AAMC FLs, then do that. If you're out of AAMC materials, try the GS exams (note: your score will be lower on these exams), or the AAMC Self Assessments. On the last 1-2 days before your exam, slow down and do lighter review of the material. What are you really struggling with? What concepts have you not yet understood? Try flashcards. Watch youtube videos. And then get some rest.

I know this is subjective, hopefully someone will have some good advise for me.. I would normally cancel, but considering 2015 is approaching I will take my chances and score this one. What is the most high yield at this point learning things I don't know to well, solidifying and reviewing what I do know, reviewing old aamcs, taking more practice tests, taking a break, etc? Just tell me what you would have liked, or what you did that you liked, I know there is probably not one best thing, thanks guys!!

I reviewed bio and did one practice AAMC. I'd say go over your weak subjects.
I also did all of the AAMC assessments, found it more useful than the practice exams.

My exam is also in a week (9/18), I'm also confused as to how I should be spending my time.
I have gotten 30's (10 across) on the previous two AAMCs I've taken (AAMC 8 and 9) and going to take 10 today at 1pm, hoping to see improvement but I keep getting the easy questions wrong, and rarely miss the hard ones so I don't know what's wrong. Anyone have any advice? I also finish the PS section with about 20 min left so I should probably spend more time thinking on each question so I don't make any stupid mistakes. I just know the real MCAT will be exponentially harder and I really need to score above a 30. Any advice?

I screwed myself by starting SN2EDs 3 month schedule, and not sticking to it because of work and I rarely did practice passages. Just content review, and even that I read up to chapter 7-8 in the TBR books, have a week to finish up the final 2 chapters for each science. I let the MCAT taking over my life and don't have much to show for it, it's bad. A week is a lot of time so I'm trying to stay positive and not burn myself out before the exam.

I will be taking 2 FL's (10 and 11) and spend the other 4 days just taking passages and reviewing (maybe 1/3 of the TBR passages for 2 chapters per science a day?? That's about 6 hours of passages a day, and spend another 6 reviewing them?)
Too stressed out.

it really does depend on the MCAT you get, don't psyche yourself out thinking your mcat will be extremely difficult.
Mine was comparable to the AAMC 8, however my verbal section was pretty tough.

memorize any equations you've used on any AAMC material that you haven't already, and commit the little things to short term memory that you still haven't and probably won't conceptualize. start getting your sleeping pattern in focus so you're well rested but fully alert for the actual test.

I would also get the 1 week free trial of Chad's videos and watch the things you didn't cover. Don't try to memorize every detail, just get a feel for them and do some practice problems around them. Focus on AAMC practice, both from the self assessments and the practice exams. Find your weaknesses and drill using TBR or TPRH Science workbook.

Study wise I reviewed old practice exams and briefly went over topics I had struggled with, and made sure I understood the correct answers for the verbal questions I missed. I believe my last full length practice was a week before my actual test, and I only spent around 2 hours a day studying the week before my exam.

More importantly though, take good care of yourself: exercise, eat well, sleep well, and don't drink. Try to make sure you will be up and alert the time your test begins by being in the habit of it. Good luck!