Those of you who took both Canadian and US DATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

euphaire

Blank
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the American DAT in August. I'm going to take the Canadian DAT in November.

Could someone who took both tell me what I can expect in terms of similarities and differences? I searched on the forum but didn't find an answer.
More specifically, is there any difference in the common areas: RC, QR, BIO, CHEM in terms of "difficulty"?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I took both and the I found the American DAT to be a lot easier. I went from an 18AA and 18 TS on the Canadian to a 20 in both AA and TS on the American. However, I found that doing PAT on the computer harder so this section should be easier for you since you learned it on a computer screen first.

I wrote both the Canadian and American one.

The reason for this is because I did terrible on carving the first time I wrote the DAT.
The questions for both DATs are about on similar levels (19 AA on both)

However I did get a 22 PAT on the US one while only a 19 (I believe) on the Canadian. Although I attribute this to more practice than anything.

I got a 22 on RC on both but I found the US one to be a bit easier with the readings and the questions being on the same page. If you're okay with computer screens this should be easier on the US one (10 extra min help too)

Members don't see this ad :)
10 extra minutes? You mean, the Canadian DAT RC is even more time-limited than the American one?

Thanks

I wrote both the Canadian and American one.

The reason for this is because I did terrible on carving the first time I wrote the DAT.
The questions for both DATs are about on similar levels (19 AA on both)

However I did get a 22 PAT on the US one while only a 19 (I believe) on the Canadian. Although I attribute this to more practice than anything.

I got a 22 on RC on both but I found the US one to be a bit easier with the readings and the questions being on the same page. If you're okay with computer screens this should be easier on the US one (10 extra min help too)

Wouldn't it be interesting to find out that the questions for the US and Canadian DAT come from the same source?

10 extra minutes? You mean, the Canadian DAT RC is even more time-limited than the American one?

Thanks

Yes, if my memory serves right the US RC part is 60 min while the CA one 50 min.

I took both and the I found the American DAT to be a lot easier. I went from an 18AA and 18 TS on the Canadian to a 20 in both AA and TS on the American. However, I found that doing PAT on the computer harder so this section should be easier for you since you learned it on a computer screen first.

Maybe that's because you had already taken the Canadian DAT and had more time to study before you took the American one?

That said, I don't believe many U.S. schools care about carving since there's no equivalent section on the aDAT. They have no idea how to interpret it and no stats to compare it to since they don't have access to the CDA test results; plus it would be unfair for them to apply such a criteria to only one applicant and not others.

Euphaire, since you're writing the cDAT for Canadian schools, I think you'd best pose your question in the Premed101 forums.