Those oh so smooth wakeups... what's your secret?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A great quote from residency:

Lidocaine solves all problems . . . temporarily.

Members don't see this ad.

breathing spontaneously, titration of narcs to respiratory rate, lido down the ett, get the gas off and wake up off nitrous. small boluses of propofol if necessary

Members don't see this ad :)
A great quote from residency:

Lidocaine solves all problems . . . temporarily.

How is lidocaine a hypnotic? Have you ever given someone JUST lido and seen them become somnolent? I have not.. Have you ever heard of anyone systemically abusing lidocaine? I have not.. all other hypnotics are abused

When given systemically, I dont believe it does anything for pain besides numb prior to propofol/etom.

How is lidocaine a hypnotic?

Lido absolutely acts as a hypnotic at sufficient doses. I agree that a person given say 1-1.5mg/kg alone won't go to sleep, but they sure as hell are gonna notice it. That same dose however, when given at the tail end of of an anesthetic will absolutely put someone who is waking up back to sleep for 5 minutes.

Have you ever heard of anyone systemically abusing lidocaine? I have not.. all other hypnotics are abused

Well that's just a stupid argument. I've never heard of someone abusing etomidate or methohexital either, but they're still pretty effective hypnotics.

I dont believe it does anything for pain besides numb prior to propofol/etom.

I can't say I'm a huge believer in the lido infusion stuff, but there is a lot of evidence out there saying it works. I never said it was an analgesic though.