modelslashactor

Safety not guaranteed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2005
Status
hey all,

let me preface by saying i am a traditional applicant who is pretty much like other average premeds.

so a bunch of secondaries showed up today with questions like "how will you add to the diversity of our class?" Should I just write about something unique I did as a student, or are these questions for give non-traditional or disadvantaged students?

kevster2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
Status
Medical Student
That hair looks like an interesting addition to any med school class

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
modelslashactor said:
hey all,

let me preface by saying i am a traditional applicant who is pretty much like other average premeds.

so a bunch of secondaries showed up today with questions like "how will you add to the diversity of our class?" Should I just write about something unique I did as a student, or are these questions for give non-traditional or disadvantaged students?
My un-uniqueness will add to diversity because you will have un-unique students as well and unique ones.

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Depakote said:
We're all unique individuals. That's what makes us all the same.
Or "don't worry, you're unique....just like everyone else"

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Haha, write your own Pitt/Mount Sinai secondary.

J/K modelslashactor.

I think just write about what makes you special. Bonus points for the word "Mulletude" or the phrase "Business in the front, party in the back."

Thundrstorm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
Status
Medical Student
You don't have to use these questions to discuss the standard diversity issues. Even though I am a URM, I mentioned that fact only briefly (if at all) in secondary questions like this. I interepreted the question as "what makes you an individual, and how does that contribute to the class?" I basically just described my personality: the fact that I'm curious, the way I try to balance rational thought and compassion... even my sense of humor. Maybe that was crazy, but I specifically remember writing something along those lines for Northwestern, and that obviously turned out okay.

strawberryfield

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Thundrstorm said:
You don't have to use these questions to discuss the standard diversity issues. Even though I am a URM, I mentioned that fact only briefly (if at all) in secondary questions like this. I interepreted the question as "what makes you an individual, and how does that contribute to the class?" I basically just described my personality: the fact that I'm curious, the way I try to balance rational thought and compassion... even my sense of humor. Maybe that was crazy, but I specifically remember writing something along those lines for Northwestern, and that obviously turned out okay.
that's how I treated it last year (although I'm not URM), also put in there if you speak any foreign languages or have had any circumstances in your life that you feel make you fit for medicine, helping your classmates, ect

styphon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2001
New york
Status
Attending Physician
I think these questions are aimed at everyone, not just non-traditionals..

For example, one way I'd add diversity to a class is that I'd probably be the only white male muslim convert in the whole school.

blarrgh

Not Even Doom Music
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
NEDM > Safety Not Guaranteed Guy

I think it is quite valid to interprete that question both ways. You have the flexibilty of choosing the topic, about which you feel most comfortable writing. On one hand, you can turn it into a traditional personal statement about your fortes in life. On the other hand, you can mold the subject matter to be about health disparities from the perspective of rising physicians. It's pretty evident that diversity/ disparity in medicine have been a hot topic for medical schools; schools of public health around the nation has made it a core topic in their teachings-- it's guaranteed that medical schools will follow in a similar direction, if not already.

Perhaps giving your honest opinion and a possible solution for such may impress the commitee to a greater extent than a traditional personal statement.

But whatever you choose to do, remember to push it to the limit.

/come on, I know there's plenty more closet YTMND'ers on SDN

coralfangs

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
durfen said:
My un-uniqueness will add to diversity because you will have un-unique students as well and unique ones.
same
i so wanted to say: my "un-uniqueness" will make your unique students seem MORE unique

TCIrish03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 14, 2006
Status
Non-Student
I got a tattoo to be unique....just like the 35% of people under the age of 30

Depakote said:
We're all unique individuals. That's what makes us all the same.

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
Diversity is over-rated. How about a little more conformity?

I always get asked on surveys to rate the improtance of diversity and I always give it the lowest possible rating, often penciling in a negative number.

Diversity is for squares. In a few years the college students will start rebelling against it as it is the old, ossified orthodoxy and they will resent having it rammed down their throats.

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
modelslashactor said:
hey all,

It is a stupid question and proof that the application was written by and for idiots.

Hoberto

Squirrel Girl
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
TCIrish03 said:
I got a tattoo to be unique....just like the 35% of people under the age of 30

Wow, I would have guessed that to be higher, around 50% at least.

OP
modelslashactor

modelslashactor

Safety not guaranteed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2005
Status
heh this thread turned out to be pretty fun huh? thanks for all the suggestions, i agree that questions like this are somewhat of a hoop to jump through, but i guess it was a good exercise in thinking about what we did that was actually out of the mold.

and anyone who doubts the timetraveler is asking for trouble. walkin along the razor's edge...

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I've got a rather large penis...

(or a rather small penis if applying to Meharry, Morehouse, or Howard)

modelslashactor said:
hey all,

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm totally for diversity. I dated black guys and white guys and asian guys and..see?

TCIrish03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 14, 2006
Status
Non-Student
modelslashactor said:

I am reminded by this exchange from "The Way of the Gun":

Longbaugh: I've... never killed a man.
Interviewer: I beg your pardon?
Longbaugh: I said I never killed a man.
Interviewer: I didn't ask if you had.
Longbaugh: You asked why I thought I was qualified, I think of that as qualification.
Interviewer: And I'm just wondering why that in particular strikes you as an important qualification for semen donation.
Longbaugh: I would say thats a big ****ing qualification - excuse me, a very important qualification.
Interviewer: No one's ever said that before.
Longbaugh: Have you ever asked?
Interviewer: No.
Longbaugh: You should.

Dr.Andrews

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Status
Panda Bear said:
Diversity is over-rated. How about a little more conformity?

I always get asked on surveys to rate the improtance of diversity and I always give it the lowest possible rating, often penciling in a negative number.

Diversity is for squares. In a few years the college students will start rebelling against it as it is the old, ossified orthodoxy and they will resent having it rammed down their throats.
Panda Bear, you are a wise and funny man. :D

TCIrish03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 14, 2006
Status
Non-Student
jackieMD2007 said:
I'm totally for diversity. I dated black guys and white guys and asian guys and..see?
And are the rumors true?

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
^ No one's stopping you from finding out...