Those rejected from STANFORD--please reply!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady in red

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to start the whole number debate, but I am just curious, b/c i heard a lot of people here did not get a secondary-- some very outstanding applicants who got accepted/interviews elsewhere, like the big time East coast schools. I think my numbers are slightly below average, but i just got a secondary from Stanford today, about a day after my AMCAS got to them. I am VERY surprised at that, as I was under impression they make a first "number-cut".
So, I am just curious, those who did NOT get a secondary, could you at least share your number "range" and your undergrad school?
BTW, I work at Stanford, but I just started maybe two weeks ago. i don't think that has to do with anything.

Members don't see this ad.

C'mon people. Scooby, I know you hate Stanford! so you can't miss this thread. :D :D
PS If nobody replies, I will assume that secondary was a mistake and won't fill it out :D :D

From what I've been able to gather, Stanford seems to be the pretty strange in the criteria they use to select people for secondaries. I've seen people with good scores get rejected off the bat, and people with not so good scores get sent a secondary. I think they are probably less based on pure numbers than some other top schools...

Anyway, I can't really help you... :) I was verified about two weeks ago, and AMCAS says that Stanford downloaded my application that day, and I have heard absolutely nothing from them yet... I check the secondary site every other day or so, and I've gotten nothing. I have pretty good 'numbers', so I'm assuming they're just slow... At least, that's what I'm hoping. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the secondary but was rejected afterwards.

private message sent...

or not...activate your private message thing so I can send you info :)

So, I am just curious, those who did NOT get a secondary, could you at least share your number "range" and your undergrad school? ••

So, how about starting off and posting your stats?

lady,

You need to send me your email :)

Not just send me a private message and not open yourself up for private messages :)

i will have to agree with with BRANDONITE about Stanford not basing their secondaries completely on stats. my stats are average, but definitely not great and i went to a state school not particularly known for its rigorous academics so i guess i'm glad it's not ALL ABOUT NUMBERS! :rolleyes:

My take on Stanford, and other Ivy type top schools(esp Harvard), is that what they're really looking for, is to put together a class where they can say in their viewbooks, (imagine cheesy music)"At Stanford, our diverse students are our greatest strength. In our current student body we have; a top concert violinist, a former sheep farmer from Latvia, Linus Pauling's first-born son, students who have freed slaves in Africa, an Olympic Gold Medalist, and..." you get the picture. :p

In other words, these schools, what with their nice, shiny reps and all, can afford to be not so stat conscious and concentrate on students with great "hooks." Not to belittle big achievements, but IMHO, its a very elitist stance that doesn't give enough credit to people (like your typical SDNer) who worked their butts off in often venomous premed environments and kept some, if not many, shreds of humanity intact.

I guess all I really mean to say (and I apologize for taking so long to say it! ;) ) is: I don't think it's all about numbers with them, and after that, unless you've got that gold medal it's pretty much a crapshoot. So good luck and "don't let the b@stards grind you down!"

Congrats on getting their secondary, lady in red! Stanford is a great place. I went there for undergrad. Don't think it really needs the cheesy music. And the diversity really is there -- you'll see, the longer you're there. Best of luck with the rest of the process! :D

oops my post disappeared :(
weeble, i totally agree, i like your take on it.
i belong into one of the categories you mentioned :D :D
dude, if you want to know my stats, email me. they are so LOW, i am scared if i post them, the moderators would kick me out and wont let me back!!! my point being, so many people here are so talented/dedicated whatever--you get the point, i feel sort of inferior :( and i don't know why the hell they would send me the secondary.

BUT, you go visit the campus and, besides the BMWs, all you see is a bunch of the much-hated and scape-goated white males running around in shorts during their afternoon siesta/football practice. so much for the "diverse student body". just ordinary, rich american people.
••

It's like The Sixth Sense whisper!

"I see white people."

:p

Ah, Lady In Red, I'm sure your stats aren't that bad... Stanford had to have liked something there if you got a secondary... Besides, comparing yourself to other people on SDN isn't exactly fair - there are a lot of people out here who are a lot more academic than your average pre-med student.

Besides, having good numbers doesn't really help you all that much. I mean, it's nice and all, but having an MCAT in the 30s means not a whole lot at a big school. Like Weeble said, it's more a crapshoot than anything else, and at least you're in the game. :D

SMW, did you interview at your alma mater already? if yes, are you a white guy? :D just kidding, maybe i seen you running around there one day. it is a great place, no one would argue with it.

Okay, I know you guys are just joking around, but for some reason I feel a sudden compelling urge to defend my med school. :) Stanford is actually very diverse -- arguably one of the most diverse med schools in the country. This year's first year class is made up of 55% women, and 27% under-represented minorities (which does not include Asians). The 1st year students come from a total of 42 different colleges and universities. The age range is also huge -- at least 10 people in my class of 86 started above the age of 30, and one of my classmates started school at the young age of 43!

The Beamers that you saw parked around campus were probably those of the faculty. And those guys you saw playing pick-up football were likely mostly Pali High School students (ie rich Palo Alto residents). (j/k) ;)

Anyway, I'll get off my high horse now. :) I agree that Stanford is not very numbers oriented. I still don't know how they decide who gets secondaries and who doesn't. They have some complicated way of determining it that takes into account GPA, MCAT, where you went for undergrad, your EC's, how you seem personally (ie. through your AMCAS essay).

My main advice is if you did not get a secondary and you think you should have, call up the Dean of Admissions and ask him about it. He may pleasantly surprise you...

Read what WEEBLE stated on the previous page. He (or She) hit the bullseye. UCSF is another school that wants those Olympic Gold Medalist, Former Croatian Basketball player, and Nelson Mandela's nephew....etc...etc. If I had to put the schools that seem to do that the most... it is Harvard, Stanford, and UCSF. I think especially... Harvard and UCSF.

Read what WEEBLE stated on the previous page. He (or She) hit the bullseye. UCSF is another school that wants those Olympic Gold Medalist, Former Croatian Basketball player, and Nelson Mandela's nephew....etc...etc. If I had to put the schools that seem to do that the most... it is Harvard, Stanford, and UCSF. I think especially... Harvard and UCSF.

Wow...that's scary. I mean, really, who gives a flying fart when it all boils down to the practice of medicine??? Does being a Nobel prize winner's relative somehow give one some uncanny ability to know diseases w/o a workup? Do Olympic medalists have photographic memories and operate best on 2 hours of sleep? Throw me a bone here, people, cuz I really wanna know!

you guys are so funny :D :D :D :D
you made me laugh again

lady in red, i'm confused about something... i was reading your posts and one says you've been married for 4 years and another says you just turned 20 years old. you've been married since you were 15???? wow, you must have a fascinating life!! (by the way, if you don't want to share your personal info, that's fine, i just have to tell you that i'm fascinated by you!)

Girl, yes, everything you mentioned is true. i am 20 and have been married for over 4 years.(happily!) but this has nothing to do with the application process and Stanford, EXCEPT that my husband is an angel to put up with me.

i am 20 and have been married for over 4 years.(happily!) ••

WOW!!! That's amazing! I got married young as well, for the first time at 19, but divorced at 21. Remarried at 23, still going strong after 10 years. I'm glad to hear your marriage is happy. Best wishes to you, Lady!