those that are retaking DAT, how to notify the schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikexima

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing different answers on what to do since we no longer can mark on the application that we are retaking the DAT... aadsas says call the school and let them know. many people say the schools can clearly see that you are attempting a retake through DENTIPIN once you register for the test. what has everyone else done about this?

Members don't see this ad.

At least for last years AADSAS, within the DAT score report there is a field to indicate when you plan to take upcoming DATs.

I keep hearing different answers on what to do since we no longer can mark on the application that we are retaking the DAT... aadsas says call the school and let them know. many people say the schools can clearly see that you are attempting a retake through DENTIPIN once you register for the test. what has everyone else done about this?

I am not sure since I have not looked into this. But I think I saw on school's websites that they want you to call and tell them that you are re-taking.

I never heard of them knowing through DENTPIN?

Members don't see this ad :)
At least for last years AADSAS, within the DAT score report there is a field to indicate when you plan to take upcoming DATs.

I don't think this field exists anymore. If someone found it, let me know - because I don't see it.

I don't think they know through DENTPIN, right?

Does anyone know how long AADSAS takes to process our DAT scores? So far, only my old scores have shown up - but I just took the test on 7/10/10, and I know it'll probably take a little while... but does anyone have an estimate time it takes to process?

I emailed every school to let them know and they were understanding and said it was ok and that they just wanted a copy of my scores when I received them. I even called the one's who didn't reply.

I emailed every school to let them know and they were understanding and said it was ok and that they just wanted a copy of my scores when I received them. I even called the one's who didn't reply.

My question is, how do you pick what schools to apply to if you don't have your new DAT scores? Are you hopeful, or did you only apply to middle of the ground dental schools?

My question is, how do you pick what schools to apply to if you don't have your new DAT scores? Are you hopeful, or did you only apply to middle of the ground dental schools?

I am hoping to score better on my new DATs.... so based off of my old scores I applied... I mean they weren't that bad so I just picked the schools who's minimum requirements I already met for the supplemental and also picked schools who's requirements I hope to meet.. hope that helps

See, this is why i made this thread...........

i email the school with all my info tellin em that i will be reatking dat soon so hold my application. THIS is what i receive in return....

Thank you for your interest in ABCDEFGHI University! I have attached the email to your file. However, I cannot guarantee your application will not be reviewed prior to us receiving your new scores if your application status is complete.

aint that great? go bust your arse off for 4 months, take dat again, spend $600 for test and new scores then have the schools treat your efforts like toilet paper... :thumbdown:

See, this is why i made this thread...........

aint that great? go bust your arse off for 4 months, take dat again, spend $600 for test and new scores then have the schools treat your efforts like toilet paper... :thumbdown:

That sucks. Is it just one school that told you that or all of them? What if you had not send the scores of your first test to any schools? Is that allowable?

I'm thinking about cancelling the 5 schools that I picked to have my scores sent to, and wait and see how I score on it. If I do well, then I'll have them sent to all schools. Would that be allowed?

That sucks. Is it just one school that told you that or all of them? What if you had not send the scores of your first test to any schools? Is that allowable?

I'm thinking about cancelling the 5 schools that I picked to have my scores sent to, and wait and see how I score on it. If I do well, then I'll have them sent to all schools. Would that be allowed?

If you wait until you take DAT, you will have to spend $25 per school to send your score report. But, if you choose all the school you want at the time you register for DAT, you don't need to pay extra.

well the biggest difference this year compared to last is that now aadsas uploads your scores from ADEA and attaches it to your application for free, most schools accept this as a legit report. some require you to still manually submit the scores. this is great because you no longer will pay $25 per school to ADEA to send your scores directly to the school. now the down side is that since AADSAS includes your scores from last year, your application will become complete and ready to review. where as last year, it was up to YOU when to submit the dat scores, that way, you could hold your own application by not submitting new scores until you retook DAT......

basically this year is:
You ---> AADSAS app + DAT score ---> School

Last year was
You---> AADSAS app ----> school
You----> ADEA DAT Scores -----> School

there is a lose situation no matter how you tackle the problem......

Retake late, you get rejected based on old scores
fill out 2ndy late to send along with new scores, you get rejected for applying late
email school to notify about retaking, they say there is no guarantee....

I had one school reply to me and say that as long as my old schools meet the minimum requirements, they dont care about new scores, they will go ahead and review the app..... well what if my DAT score went form an 18 to a 22? my chances of acceptance shoots up like crazy but you wouldn't care cuz either one meets the minimum..........

so unfair.... sooo sooo unfair.

great to save the money.....
great way to get screwed.....

Last edited:
Check with the schools, they all handle it different. And give AADSAS grief, they should have left the option in there.

ASDOH built this into their secondary app. And they said they will only process the app one time, so answer wisely!

DAT Scores
radio.gif
I have already taken the DAT and AADSAS should have my scores.
noradio.gif
I have taken the DAT but would like for you to wait until my new scores are available before my file is reviewed. My test date is
noradio.gif
I have not taken the DAT yet and my test date is