Those that went to UW for undergrad: Chem 223 or Chem 237?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

customx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the main difference between taking Chem 223 and 224 together, versus 237,238,239? Is one sequence more valuable than the other in terms of preparing for the DAT or other coursework, such as microbiology or biochem? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The pre-health advisors tell us to take the 237 series because not all schools accept the 223 series. You can take the DAT with either. If you can, take 237 & 238 with Straumanis. I think he teaches the sequence starting every winter quarter. Definately worth the wait.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you find that prof to be a good teacher? Based on his ratings at ratemyprofessor.com, it seems like a lot of students did not find him helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you find that prof to be a good teacher? Based on his ratings at ratemyprofessor.com, it seems like a lot of students did not find him helpful
That's surprising. His tests are not easy, that's for sure! The key with his class is you get the most out of it if you stay after for office hours. I stayed after every day and found that it was an extension of lecture only different in that you could ask questions (in a class of 300+ there's no opportunity to do so). Also, he's really passionate about teaching. The best class I've taken at UW so far....

237 , no doubt
you can take the easier route when taking physical chem or biochem, but not ochem:)

Yes, most schools will accept nothing except the 237/238 track. I remember how ****ty those courses were... badly-taught, high-stress, etc. Then again, OChem is a gate-keeper course, so I guess you'd expect that.