1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Those who aced orgo, COME HERE!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by ASK5251, Aug 24, 2015.

1. ASK5251

Pre-Medical
    Please tell me how and what you guys did?
    Class is starting tomorrow and I really need to get my **** together.
    I need advice, tips, tricks… because nothing besides an A is acceptable right now.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hospitalized

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    PRACTICE

PRACTICE

PRACTICE

WHITEBOARD

PRACTICE

4. Sisu00

2+ Year Member

Review before lecture, review after lecture, do the practice problems, khan academy, force yourself to rewrite reactions until you understand

sisko and frosted_flake like this.
  5. Ad2b

Ad2b SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Orgo. I liked orgo.

do all the problem assigned. every single problem. Learn why SN1 is similar to E1 but different than SN2. Understand where electrons flow.

Orgo is ALL about the electrons. You know that song, "It's all about the base"?? Well, orgo, is ALL about the electrons. What will pull an electron off another atom, or what will cause an inversion, or what will create a carbocation intermediate.

Do the problems assigned.
    Buy the sticks/balls kits and USE them. See why a backside attack only works in a certain way with certain reagents.
    Flashcards for functional groups.
    Flashcards for reagents.

When you get to synthesis (people think I'm nuts) but DRAW them. Ask yourself while drawing them "Why does this work?"

zimm likes this.
  6. pericardium

pericardium CPR certified
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Flashcards, do them a lot.

7. frosted_flake

frosted_flake waaahmbulance attendant
    Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Problems, white board, MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE SMARTEST KID IN YOUR CLASS.
    Orgo as a second language was the bees knees.

Write mechanisms until you want to :barf:

Ad2b likes this.
  8. Shov

Shov Jokester
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

#7 Shov, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    tyrsa, frosted_flake and TUVIX like this.
  9. Ad2b

Ad2b SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    @show - it comes from the ketone making a carbonyl or the esterified epoxide :D

ORGanic=O :) (okay, that was lame, I tried!)

Shov likes this.
  10. bumblebee611

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do all the practice problems. Review the solutions, and if you don't get them right, drill down to understand where you went wrong. Redo them after a few days. Don't hesitate to ask questions of the professor, as well. Draw, draw, draw. (I'm not so hot on the ball and stick models, though; they really didn't work for me but I made As anyway.)

Ad2b likes this.
  11. Seth Joo

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you are aiming for DO school you won't need an A.

12. stantheman08

stantheman08 Non-trad
    2+ Year Member

orgo is the kinda class you have to make yourself like
    i really did enjoy it and aced it (after having made C's in gen chem)
    the biggest thing is just knowing the mechanisms and being able to look at a rxn to know what will happen.
    eventually you'l get to where you know you need to make something and you can then go backwards to find your reactants.
    TL:DR
    you'll experience Stockholm syndrome after a few weeks

Ad2b likes this.
  13. TrueWolverine

2+ Year Member

That's the spirit.....

Like others have said...form a study group and work on as many practice problems as you can! Seriously get your hands on as many practice opportunities as you can.

Dr. Death and StudyLater like this.
  14. StudyLater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Chill prof that didn't grade hard.

Studied.

/thread

15. zero0

zero0 everything i hug dies
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Pretty much this.

Also, Organic Chemistry as a Second Language is where you want to start. Just know that it's a very superficial overview and there are a few mistakes in there, but you should be able to pick up on them fairly quickly.

16. dapdrow

5+ Year Member

Lots of practice, which isn't fun if you hate orgo. But I loathe physics more so now I almost miss orgo.

17. yanks26dmb

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    aced orgo 1 and 2. its easily done with repetition. I would draw mechanisms over and over and over....thats how you learn. do it and you'll ace orgo.

ChiTownBHawks likes this.
  18. QueenJames

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Read each chapter, go through the examples in the book, practice naming (which actually becomes sort of fun after a while), keep a separate journal with all the reactions and mechanisms your teacher talks about, and memorize those and apply those to the practice problems. Rinse and repeat!

This is coming from somebody who retook both semesters twice and finally aced them both on the third try by actually taking it serious.

Don't mess around!

19. ChiTownBHawks

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This.

I loved organic and really delved into it because it fascinated me. However, you don't have to understand it to be good at it. There are only so many ways they can present the same damn reactions...

Also, if you ever have to explain why you picked something just say because it's more stable. May net ya a 50% of that particular question

Also x2, let me throw a vote in for NOT reading the chapters. Total time sink and unnecessary imo. Just do problem after problem after problem. You want to do active/ forced recall not passive

20. banana_phone

banana_phone SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I aced the series and second/third/fourth what everyone has said:

1) Organic as a Second Language by Klein - buy it now. expedite the shipping. do it.
    2) Whiteboard with different colored pens was so helpful for mechanisms
    3) Different colored pens in class for taking notes
    4) PRACTICE PROBLEMS! I did all the suggested ones from my prof in the book, all of the ones in Klein, and found extra practice online when I needed to
    5) Flashcards for overarching concepts

And lastly, believe in yourself and make it fun. it is not as bad as people make it seem. Practice makes perfect!

zimm and oOKawaiiOo like this.
  21. TUVIX

2+ Year Member

This...and don't be afraid to stay in the library for a long time making sure you know it cold. It's actually not that hard, it just takes repetition. When I took it I decided I was not going to play into the hype about it being hard and I was just going to study it until I knew it. If you go in expecting it to be so hard that you wont do well....then you may not do well. Just have fun learning it. It is basically little puzzles you have to solve.

22. zimm

Pre-Medical
    These are not exactly secrets, but this list should help you.

1. Learn to conceptually understand electron flow, and sterics. Get a stick and ball kit if at all possible, it's useful through most of orgo 1, less so in 2.
    2. The Whiteboard is your friend, use it, different color markers and all.
    3. Do all the assigned practice problems, and then do more from your textbook, some of these will look weird and you might not be able to do them, or even be totally responsible for everything in them. THATS OK. The key here is exposure to the mechanics of pushing electrons around (see 1).
    4. When in doubt about remembering ANYTHING, make flashcards. Don't buy them, don't use someone else's cards, make them. The process of making them and figuring out how they should look to work most effectively will help you remember.
    5. Orgo is and should be a time consuming class, you should be spending at least a few hours studying/practicing outside of class for every hour in class.
    6. Get copies of any lecture slides the professor uses if you can, reference them when you study but not when doing problems. YOu have a limited number of problems to expose yourself to that will fit the mould of the class, so don't waste them by using notes with most of them.

Organic Chemistry is not easy exactly, but it is perfectly manageable, and even enjoyable with the right attitude. Stay positive and be confident.

23. becomingdoctor

Pre-Medical
    If you want supplement material, organic chemistry as a second language is good. But this book maybe a over kill if your ochem only overs superficial stuff, I found it very useful.

absie107 likes this.
  24. DrPatriot

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got together with a group of friends and drew out the mechanisms on whiteboards and pieces of paper constantly. We usually worked 10+ hours on each problem set in one day. Practice and determination get you an A!

25. DrPatriot

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Why didn't you apply MD out of curiosity? You seem to really not enjoy "being stuck" as a DO student based on past posts.

I'm not trying to be combative I really am just curious.

26. Seth Joo

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I applied to MD schools and got rejected, two years in a row. So I went to a DO school, I actually like my DO school, AZCOM, but the quality of DO schools tends to be a lot more variable compared to MD schools in terms of the education you get, the quality of facilities, the professors, administration, etc. That is why I tend to be more vocal about the DO schools compared to MD schools.

That is why I like to compare DO schools to KIA, the brand of low budget automobiles, some KIAs are pretty good and some are not. They just recently made Hyundai a premium brand.

#25 Seth Joo, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    DrPatriot likes this.
  27. Many places

Pre-Medical
    Hi there! I found a two step approach worked best for me (I tutor now). I made flash cards with all of the reactions on them and drilled everyday. Then in addition, I did every synthesis problem in the book (Klein) and went on line for more so that I was comfortable with material that is harder than what I would see in class!

28. tyrsa

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OP, are you taking organic chem I or II?

29. Hospitalized

2+ Year Member

Usually ya start with the first one.

30. tyrsa

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OP said that "class is starting tomorrow". No indication as to whether that class is I or II. My reply would be very different for these two courses, and I don't want to type out a reply just to realize its not what the OP is looking for.

31. GiveMeThatMD

GiveMeThatMD Consider this thread DERAILED.
    2+ Year Member

Alright, I'll bite. I start Org I this coming Monday and I'll not pass up an opportunity for advice :) I feel like I'm pretty well off for it, but would love some feedback.

32. NontradCA

NontradCA American Hero
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Memorize everything night before exam, forget it right after.

33. Dr. Hopeful

Medical Student
    Difficulty of orgo is blown way out of proportion. I think a large reason so many people have trouble with it is because it's the first "hard class" any of us have EVER had up to that point in our careers. After orgo you become a "new student", so to speak, and your senior year when you're taking biochem and physiology together (or any 2 upper level bio courses), you realize orgo was nothing. Don't be afraid of it, it's just another class. Same memorization as any other biology or chemistry class you've had up to this point, it's just probably all completely new stuff and a bit overwhelming at first. Biggest advice is make sure you have nomenclature DOWN. Everything builds off knowing nomenclature and they cover it in like 1, maybe 2 lectures.

tyrsa likes this.
  34. absie107

5+ Year Member

Echoing everyone else, it's all about practice and frequently repeating material. I personally just did as many practice problems as I could, went to office hours even if I thought I knew stuff pretty well, reviewed with friends using whiteboards, and did these things consistently. Probs helped that my professor was a wonderful teacher and I'm a 'chemistry person,' but whatevs. Also, it's fun to draw caterpillars made out of cyclohexanes (?!?!?)

And as others have said, orgo as a second language by klein is 10/10 A+, would book again.

35. StudyLater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It sounds cool and edgy.

Nice avatar. ;)

36. Gandyy

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is literally all the things required for orgo.

Also you will need to practice.