Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
tell me about the school and what you think of it please :)

likes and dislikes. Would you have chosen another school instead ?
why? etc.

Thanks a billion

platformshoes

Round 1!
Jun 21, 2009
Status
MS1, here. I happened to see this post and decided I'd try and hit a few high points and low points!

The school: The school is nice-- the inside is comfortable and it's in a great area, I think. The TMC just can't be beat, and you'll be right in it. The weather is incredibly beautiful nowadays (but it's going to heat up soon!). There is a lot to do in the area, but not so many outdoors-sy things--there are museums and shows and places to eat and go out and all that, but don't expect to go on a beautiful walk through pristine nature. (Houston actually does a great job with parks, if you ask me, but that's not what I'm talking about here.) Bottom line: there are a ton of opportunities in the TMC!!

The school is in the middle of building new buildings and re-branding. The new logo for the school looks pretty good, but I would have preferred a sans serif font for the main lettering. :) Look for the new logo soon (I couldn't find it on the internet except for on the official release video where I had to log in to see it). I think it's pretty exciting that the school is moving forward, building structures, and expanding.

Likes: The class seems to be pretty laid back as a whole and is filled with a lot of students who know how to have fun, but also get work done. It doesn't seem competitive because the students aren't like that, and the grades are set so there is no reason to be competitive. I really like my fellow classmates, and older students are very helpful! Biggest like--cost! Tuition is low and cost of living is relatively low.

Dislikes: Here comes the heavy stuff. Admissions does a great job, I think, but Student affairs does not. I don't feel like they care as much about each student, and with a class of ~230 or so, I guess it's hard... but I think they could do a lot better. There is a huge difference between a school that has a class of ~120 or so vs. a school with a class as big as ours. The administration makes a few efforts to deal with it ("Master Advisory" groups, where we meet once a blue moon in small groups with a random teacher to talk about life) but it doesn't really work. You're still 1 out of over two-hundred students.

Current beef: This year, the administration decided to make a rule where if a test question is deemed "bad" by the teacher, it gets thrown out. Also, protests to questions aren't supposed to be allowed (most teachers still take them, though). Here's an example of how that goes: Teacher writes a test question on a topic that you know (hallelujah!!) but somehow (computer test-bank error, or teacher error, or whatever), there are two perfectly correct answers to the question. You fret over it for 10 or so minutes on the test (since this is a question you know and two answers seem pretty spot-on), and finally put down an answer. As it turns out, you did know the topic, both answers actually were correct, but that doesn't matter because the question gets thrown out.

That's one example. Some tests (not every test, but way more than you would think), anywhere from 2.5-8 percent of the test (yes, about 3-8 percent of a test!!) can be thrown out. If questions that you got "correct" were thrown out, it's too bad for you. If they were questions that you "missed", then count your lucky stars because your grade is going up.

People in the class made a pretty big fuss about the rule, a bunch of people said they would look into it, and nothing changed. It's not a deal-breaker for the school, but, as you can tell, it really annoys me. :p It's a new rule they made this year, and I hope someone finally addresses it because I think it puts a bit of a damper on students' spirits.

So, those are a few ups and downs. I would place the school favorably among other schools (from what I've heard from friends and the like). Cost is a huge plus, as the total value is up there with the best.

As to whether I would choose another school, that's up in the air. If I knew what I knew now, I would still consider other schools (I wish I could say I love it here and it's perfect but it's not... I suppose other schools probably aren't either). Depending on what school you were talking about, it is very possible I would have chosen another school.

PM me if you want to ask anything else! Hopefully this was useful. It was most likely more than (and/or not) what you wanted, so sorry about that! :laugh:

Good luck and Happy late St. Patty's! :luck:

Mar 26, 2010
Status
As to whether I would choose another school, that's up in the air. If I knew what I knew now, I would still consider other schools (I wish I could say I love it here and it's perfect but it's not... I suppose other schools probably aren't either). Depending on what school you were talking about, it is very possible I would have chosen another school.

PM me if you want to ask anything else! Hopefully this was useful. It was most likely more than (and/or not) what you wanted, so sorry about that! :laugh:

If you had a choice to go to Baylor College of Medicine vs UTHouston Medical School for the entering Class of 2010 given Baylor's financial troubles, where would you go?:idea:

disarticulate

MS1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Houston
Status
Medical Student
Another perspective from an MS1 at UTH

Best thing about UT-Houston - awesome classmates and being in Texas Medical Center.

Worst thing about UT-Houston - You either have to grade your own test or you have to wait 3 weeks for them to put it into the computer system.

Please pay no mind that PlatformShoes' gripe about questions being thrown out is not that big of a deal. Dropping one overall question will only drop your score by 0.2% if you got it right, and it will boost your score by as much as 2% if you got it wrong. Your are given more than enough time to complete every exam, so if you're so indecisive as to take 10 minutes on one question, it won't affect you. Plus, first year scores mean very little when residency apps come around.

I don't know much about student affairs, never dealt with them. But I can tell you right now that the master advisory groups (held every wednesday after exam week) were definitely helpful for me finding a great study spot, turning in my Immunology paper early, and locking down a research position this summer. Master advisor's give you great advice on how to study, what to be prepared for, and will write letter's of rec for you if you. There are also MS-2's that join in on the master advisory group and help you (study tips, what to do for the summer, how to prepare for finals, etc.....)

Please don't choose a school based on it's logo....

Med School is going to be what you make of it, wherever you go.

best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.