Those who did not get in, what did you do for the year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishpint

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what people who didn't get in did for the year. What would keep me out would be my grades and DAT (oh, that's all?). I plan to retake the DAT but dont know what I can do about the grades at this point. After I graduate are there some programs specially designed for people in my shoes? What did you do for the year? I think more classes/some kind of program would be a good idea.

-IP

Members don't see this ad.

yeah.. these programs are called post bac's

food4thots said:
yeah.. these programs are called post bac's

Since I know nothing about them...
1) where can you take them?
2) are you going for a degree or just for the classes?
3) how does GPA calculate (varies from school to school im sure)
4) when do you have to apply? I mean I wont know that I need to take more classes until like April if I dont get in. It's not like applying to grad school and taking the GRE, is it?

HELP I SUCK!!

Members don't see this ad :)
irishpint said:
4) when do you have to apply? I mean I wont know that I need to take more classes until like April if I dont get in. It's not like applying to grad school and taking the GRE, is it?

HELP I SUCK!!

don't worry, that's what these forums are for.. to seek advice/help from others.

there are a handful of postbac programs.

1. where? various locations (ucsf, baylor, temple to name a few) some programs are formal others are informal, meaning there are commitments or not.
2. usually they are just undergrad classes to help bring up ur gpa or retaking classes u did poorly on. u can earn a 2nd baccalaureate degree if u take enough classes (similar to double majoring)
3.GPA should be calculated just like your undergraduated courses.
4.every school has a different timeline in terms of appliaction. you google "post bac" to find out which schools are available around your area and its timeline. no, i don't think u would need to take the gre.

things to note:
*some schools do require that you have had applied to dental school unsuccessfully

*some require that you are from a disadvantaged background

*some require a 1 yr commitment in their program

food4thots said:
don't worry, that's what these forums are for.. to seek advice/help from others.

there are a handful of postbac programs.

1. where? various locations (ucsf, baylor, temple to name a few) some programs are formal others are informal, meaning there are commitments or not.
2. usually they are just undergrad classes to help bring up ur gpa or retaking classes u did poorly on. u can earn a 2nd baccalaureate degree if u take enough classes (similar to double majoring)
3.GPA should be calculated just like your undergraduated courses.
4.every school has a different timeline in terms of appliaction. you google "post bac" to find out which schools are available around your area and its timeline. no, i don't think u would need to take the gre.

things to note:
*some schools do require that you have had applied to dental school unsuccessfully

*some require that you are from a disadvantaged background

*some require a 1 yr commitment in their program

i found one site that was good at finding these programs but I got the impression they were for 'career changers', people who needed the pre-reqs. Since I dont, I didn't think it was what I was looking for. Interesting...thanks.

irishpint said:

HELP I SUCK!!

1) pretty much any major university
2) some go for a masters, but the majority take a semester of grad. level
classes such as chem, microbio, ect..........or 2 semesters, or whatever, depends on how much time u have. the idea is to a) increase your gpa, and b) demonstrate the ability to handle the workload and do well, 3.75 - 4.0 ?

3) i don't know
4)u could get in next semester (spring semester), depending on registration deadlines. with the whole april situation thats a gamble. and no , u don't have to take an entrance exam, at least i don't think u do..

keep in mind, this is just how it is at the university im prob going to do it at