1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Those who did not get in, what did you do for the year?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by irishpint, Dec 6, 2005.

1. irishpint

irishpint Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm curious what people who didn't get in did for the year. What would keep me out would be my grades and DAT (oh, that's all?). I plan to retake the DAT but dont know what I can do about the grades at this point. After I graduate are there some programs specially designed for people in my shoes? What did you do for the year? I think more classes/some kind of program would be a good idea.

-IP

2. food4thots

food4thots Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yeah.. these programs are called post bac's

3. irishpint

irishpint Member
    5+ Year Member

Since I know nothing about them...
    1) where can you take them?
    2) are you going for a degree or just for the classes?
    3) how does GPA calculate (varies from school to school im sure)
    4) when do you have to apply? I mean I wont know that I need to take more classes until like April if I dont get in. It's not like applying to grad school and taking the GRE, is it?

HELP I SUCK!!

4. food4thots

food4thots Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    don't worry, that's what these forums are for.. to seek advice/help from others.

there are a handful of postbac programs.

1. where? various locations (ucsf, baylor, temple to name a few) some programs are formal others are informal, meaning there are commitments or not.
    2. usually they are just undergrad classes to help bring up ur gpa or retaking classes u did poorly on. u can earn a 2nd baccalaureate degree if u take enough classes (similar to double majoring)
    3.GPA should be calculated just like your undergraduated courses.
    4.every school has a different timeline in terms of appliaction. you google "post bac" to find out which schools are available around your area and its timeline. no, i don't think u would need to take the gre.

things to note:
    *some schools do require that you have had applied to dental school unsuccessfully

*some require that you are from a disadvantaged background

*some require a 1 yr commitment in their program

5. irishpint

irishpint Member
    5+ Year Member

i found one site that was good at finding these programs but I got the impression they were for 'career changers', people who needed the pre-reqs. Since I dont, I didn't think it was what I was looking for. Interesting...thanks.

6. SirShagaLot

SirShagaLot Move Maker Extraordinaire
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    1) pretty much any major university
    2) some go for a masters, but the majority take a semester of grad. level
    classes such as chem, microbio, ect..........or 2 semesters, or whatever, depends on how much time u have. the idea is to a) increase your gpa, and b) demonstrate the ability to handle the workload and do well, 3.75 - 4.0 ?

3) i don't know
    4)u could get in next semester (spring semester), depending on registration deadlines. with the whole april situation thats a gamble. and no , u don't have to take an entrance exam, at least i don't think u do..

keep in mind, this is just how it is at the university im prob going to do it at