Those who have taken DAT recently - ORGO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uesider

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I take the DAT for the 2nd time on Monday, and I know it's not the time to be freaking out over an entire section... but I just keep doing worse and worse with Orgo :( I got a 16 last year, yet I blocked the whole exam out of my head and don't even remember what they asked. To those who have taken it recently, is it more reaction-based (that's the part I suck at), or concepts (I'm fine with that... R/S config, boiling points, naming, etc.)

I am getting 16s on TopScore and 15s on Achiever... doing fine in everything else but Orgo is going to kill me :(

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that the test is mostly conceptual. I took the test last week and there was only a few reactions, in which a couple had multiple steps. The rest is conceptual, ie. understanding stability of cyclohexanes, newman projections, R/S, E/Z nomenclature, etc. Based on your Acheiver scores you should score a couple points higher on the real thing I would assume. I was getting between 21-28 on Achiever and topscore, and got a 23 on the real thing. Hope that helps.

Hi all,

I take the DAT for the 2nd time on Monday, and I know it's not the time to be freaking out over an entire section... but I just keep doing worse and worse with Orgo :( I got a 16 last year, yet I blocked the whole exam out of my head and don't even remember what they asked. To those who have taken it recently, is it more reaction-based (that's the part I suck at), or concepts (I'm fine with that... R/S config, boiling points, naming, etc.)

I am getting 16s on TopScore and 15s on Achiever... doing fine in everything else but Orgo is going to kill me :(

thanks for your response... that helps... I wish I could remember more from the test last year! How does everyone do so well in Orgo, it is the only section I am freaking out about... :scared:

leading up to my DAT i was confident in the ochem section, but as i got closer and closer i started to second guess myself in the ochem section particularly...

i think its because we all take ochem at out universities and are used to having to know every single reagent and temperature, but as far as the DAT goes, in my mind, its more the big picture to a certain extent...

as for achiever.... get this, i took an achiever science section test the day before my DAT and got a 17 on the ochem section.... the next day on the real DAT i got a 27.... so dont let some practice tests get you too nervous, just stay calm, and if you know material, it will all come together on test day

good luck man

How did the test go? How was the organic section? Better this time around? Hope all goes well for you this application cycle!