Those who have taken TPR review course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, yes I did a search! My question is how good is the course and the materials provided for it? I ask this because I am taking the course this summer, and wanted up-to-date information about it. I will probably combine with EKs and nova physics and some prayer..lol :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, yes I did a search! My question is how good is the course and the materials provided for it? I ask this because I am taking the course this summer, and wanted up-to-date information about it. I will probably combine with EKs and nova physics and some prayer..lol

It really depends on the location. I'm taking a course right now, and I'm actually a bit disappointed. Our PS instructor sucks. Other than that, its alright. They give you a lot of material-lots of books and lots of online practice. I really like their science workbook, it has tons of practice passages and review questions.

yea, I really need to relearn the material, it feels like, for me this is how it goes:
Biology: imma bio major, I should review this
G-Chem: I did well, but I forgot quite a bit
O-Chem: This wasn't hard, I understand the basics of o chem, but I don't know every friggin reaction and mechanism, blah! :mad:
Physics: I really didn't learn anything in this class :idea: then again I don't think anyone did, despite doing ok (B's) I'm gonna have to use my math intuition to learn/relearn physics
Verbal: This section is extremely dependent on my mood, I usually make between 7-9, but I really wanna go to 10+

In terms of materials, the Hyperlearning books are solid across all sections. The only exception would be their bio book which takes a detail oriented approach that turns off quite a few people. If you don't mind the detail, then everything is fine.

In terms of the course itself, as pookiez88 mentioned, it depends on your area. Call your local TPR center and see if you can arrange a sit-in. Doing so will provide you with a first-hand experience of your potential teacher and give you a chance to ask other students questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am two weeks from finishing a TPR class. As for the sit in, I asked if this was possible and they said no. I'm a non science major so I didn't have the strongest sciences background and I'm finding that TPR does a very good job of reviewing the foundations of what you need to know as well as throwing in some helpful tidbits. The books are very good. I am supplementing them with EK books. However, the quality of instruction does very. For instance, I find the physics instructor that I have to not be very good, while the orgo and gen chem instructors are phenomenal. Instructors are highly variable but considering you'll have 5 different instructors, odds are that you'll have a few good ones.

I am a TPR instructor. I have noticed that the quality of instructors (for all companies, not just TPR) varies tremendously. When it comes to test prep, caveat emptor. It's your responsibility to do some research. Find out who the instructors are. They should be willing to chat with you about the course or else I wouldn't pay a dime. And most importantly, determine what the policy is regarding refunds. I think it's a little ridiculous to pay that much for a course if you can't sit in on a class or two. However, it is my understanding that a student may withdraw from the course (with a refund), but I can't recall what the deadline is for MCAT. For my LSAT classes, the students can withdraw any time before the 2nd class. They must return the books to get the refund. I imagine the deadline is a little longer for MCAT, but you must check with your local office to determine the official policy. Seriously, how can you fork over that kind of money if the instructors won't even give you some assurances of the quality of their instruction? Ask if the instructors ever took the MCAT. Ask how long they have been teaching.

Last edited:
I completely agree with the sit-in before you give them any money suggestion. Both PR and TBR let me do this and I'm so glad I did. Maybe PR would have been better off not letting me sit in, because I was pretty much set on taking PR before sitting in. After sitting in on both classes, I changed my mind.

A few posters here said I should call them up and ask to sit in on a couple of classes, which I did a few weeks later. That was the best piece of advice I've gotten, because I didn't know you could do that. Sitting in let's you get a feel for the teaching style and the attitude of the class. It also made me more confident in my decision. I'm sure the other courses are good too, but TBR was perfect for me. That's mainly because of the teachers, and in particular Todd Bennett (one of the owners). Without him teaching, the class would be good, but not great.

I'm taking TPR for a second time:

materials: Great, supply you with plenty of reading material, and plenty of practice passages, free-standing, practices tests

cust. service: i guess it depends on where you are, because mine isn't too bad, but then again not too great either

instructors: hit or miss, this is my 2nd time taking this course, and both times i've gotten a Gchem instructor who although may be brilliant in the subject, has a very hard time getting the message across (in understandable english). Some of their teachers know the topic, and some know the mcat

the difference is, if you ask a teacher that knows the topic a deep question about it, they can use their knowledge to answer it, but the teachers that only know the mcat, will only have the knowledge relevant to the MCAT. I know that since we are taking the MCAT, that should be the only thing we want, but sometimes to explain some weird (or complicated) topic, you need a better "foundation" of understanding the topic...

I heard bad things about Kaplan, and I would've done berkeley review if it were closer to my house

I also agree with sit-in before the you make your decision. TPR costs about $1975 and Kaplan costs about $1900 . I registered for the TPR Hyperlearning Course in summer here in chicago. I did asked the chicago TPR office to let me sit-in current classes before I make my decision. They refused it just like that. I had no choice to register at that time. I did registered & got the Hyperlearning books. But, after looking at books and cost to the course, I felt that the cost I am paying is for the instruction time in class. BUT, TPR HAS A NO REFUND POLICY AFTER FIRST CLASS. In my situation, if I happen to findout, my instructors have no quality in teaching, I will not get a single penny back from TPR after the first class. So, I am in the thought process to cancel my TPR registration, due to risk factor of instructor quality and TPR's no refund policy after first class. I hope you do enough search before you invest in the test prep class. Good Luck!