those who interviewed at pitt....general questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twinklit

UCSF2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those who interviewed for this current cycle, any advice/warnings? it will be my FIRST interview in addition to my first time flying. I will be coming from southern california. here are some questions:

when day was your interview? how early did you arrive in pittsburgh, and when did you leave pittsburgh?
what did you eat while in pittsburgh?
how did you get from the hotel to school? school to airport?
during the interview, was there anything you were impressed by, or not too impressed by?
how many other people were there on the interview date?
Sorry if i asked so many questions. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Congrats on the interview! :thumbup:

My interview was on 11/28 and I made sure to get there the night before just in case. Plus I was driving from across the state and it was the day after Thanksgiving weekend! :eek: I left as soon as the interview was over because I had to drive 6 hours home.

The school only give you a light breakfast of eggs, sausage, and potatoes. So your best bet is to eat the biggest darn breakfast you ever did because after 6 hours of interviewing you're going to be insanely hungry! :laugh:

There is a hotel - The Holiday Inn, it's about 3 blocks from the dental school and it has a shuttle that goes around the campus. It's nice and you can get a pretty good deal with the dental school code. I recommend it 110%.

I was impressed by the clinic and the preclinic. It was so bright and happy. And the people there were so incredibly nice!! My only complaints had to be the fact that there were 50 other people there when I interviewed and then they invited about 100 students to go to lunch with us so the crowd was HUGE!!! It was a tad intimidating for me...

Just relax...and talk about what you like about the school, area, talk about yourself, etc. It's so laid back. Don't be worried. Best of luck to you!! :luck:

Any other questions let me know! :thumbup:

Did you have to do a writing sample at Pitt?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got there an hour early. I stayed with a friend overnight and drove to the school that morning. There were about 80 people being interviewed there. I liked that there was lots of time with current students. However, the day was INCREDIBLY long, and I was starving by the end (brunch at 10am, didn't leave til after 3). There was a 15 minute writing sample, ours was to name a hero (but not mom or dad) but I heard the first interview session had a different question, so don't bother preparing for the hero question. But you'll be happy to know that Rose mentioned that they save half the seats for the spring interviews, so it's not like other schools that give preference to the early applicants. Hope this helped, good luck!

Dr. Hoffman is my only warning. If you happen to get him as your interviewer, you better just throw in the towel. I've been on a few interviews and that was by far the only uncomfortable one I had. Be prepared to answer a lot of invasive questions and have him stare it at you like you are a *****. Just my humble opinion, but your chances with interviewing him are pretty slim so I wouldn't sweat it too bad. Good luck.

could you elaborate on invasive questions bit more please? I also have an interview at pitt, and was wondering the same questions...
Thanks in advance

virginiabeach said:
Dr. Hoffman is my only warning. If you happen to get him as your interviewer, you better just throw in the towel. I've been on a few interviews and that was by far the only uncomfortable one I had. Be prepared to answer a lot of invasive questions and have him stare it at you like you are a *****. Just my humble opinion, but your chances with interviewing him are pretty slim so I wouldn't sweat it too bad. Good luck.

virginiabeach said:
Dr. Hoffman is my only warning. If you happen to get him as your interviewer, you better just throw in the towel.

You've just freaked out about half of the people that have interviews early next year (including myself). :laugh:

PickMe said:
I got there an hour early. I stayed with a friend overnight and drove to the school that morning. There were about 80 people being interviewed there. I liked that there was lots of time with current students. However, the day was INCREDIBLY long, and I was starving by the end (brunch at 10am, didn't leave til after 3). There was a 15 minute writing sample, ours was to name a hero (but not mom or dad) but I heard the first interview session had a different question, so don't bother preparing for the hero question. But you'll be happy to know that Rose mentioned that they save half the seats for the spring interviews, so it's not like other schools that give preference to the early applicants. Hope this helped, good luck!

Thanks! You helped a lot! How many interviews have you gone to so far?

tinman831 said:
You've just freaked out about half of the people that have interviews early next year (including myself). :laugh:

Well it turns out the interview didn't go as bad as i really thought. I received a phone call from Ms. Mangold today with some good news. Don't be worried. Everything will work out if you have put forth the effort to succeed. Good luck on your interview and i'm sorry if you get Dr. Hoffman. Seriously though, im kidding. ;)