Those Who Studied For Mcat W/practice Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MSc44

when it that come time of the real test is it that you become so accustome to how to do certain types of problems, you preety much know how to solve them with out fully understanding the concept???( or maybe you understand the concept as well).....thats actually i think how i got such high grades in undergrad, will this work with mcats??????

oh and im a bit non-trad so i ask this here b/c i want to utalize my study time effectivly, so any non trads who studied like this please reply

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen in my studying, MCAT problems are nothing like the end-of-chapter problems undergraduates face in their textbooks. MCAT focuses on qualitative interpretation of concepts as opposed to simple plug and chug (although that, too, is represented to a smaller degree).

Ultimately, I suppose it matters how well you want/need to do on the test. If you can afford a mediocre score on the MCAT, it might be sufficient for you to memorize some equations and try to plug and chug wherever you can. But if you want a good score, it will be necessary for you to go a bit deeper than that.

MSc44 said:
when it that come time of the real test is it that you become so accustome to how to do certain types of problems, you preety much know how to solve them with out fully understanding the concept???( or maybe you understand the concept as well).....thats actually i think how i got such high grades in undergrad, will this work with mcats??????

oh and im a bit non-trad so i ask this here b/c i want to utalize my study time effectivly, so any non trads who studied like this please reply

After practicing a lot of questions you kind of get a knack for what they are looking for in terms of where you're supposed to go in the passage, what kind of knowledge you're supposed to pull, etc...

Even if you don't know everything about the Photoelectric effect or Mendelian Genetics, with some basic knowledge and practice on those questions you can get them right.

jackieMD2007 said:
After practicing a lot of questions you kind of get a knack for what they are looking for in terms of where you're supposed to go in the passage, what kind of knowledge you're supposed to pull, etc...

Even if you don't know everything about the Photoelectric effect or Mendelian Genetics, with some basic knowledge and practice on those questions you can get them right.

You definitely need a few MCAT practice tests or booklets. You think you know everything there is to know about a perticular topic, until your asked an MCAT style question :confused: