Those who took April 2002 MCAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sng33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many people thought the verbal was much more challenging than past MCAT's. I am curious what was it that made the recent verbal more difficult. Was it the fact that the passages were very obscure? Or was it the length of the passages that were longer? Or was it just the fact that more of the questions were inference/ interpretation type that are more ambiguous? I am curious what made this past verbal more difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the MCAT has always been always been mostly inference. I think thats why so many people have a problem with it. Many of us have that scientific approach where we have to have a concrete answer.

As for last time I don't know if it was harder then before or not. The passages on "The great potato famine" and "trancendance" certainly didn't help.

it was way to tricky for me. i was getting on average 8's and some 9's on my kaplan verbal diags, And i ended up with a 6 on the real thing in april. Study man , study hard

I thought it was about as hard as the Kaplan verbal, but probably a little harder than the aamc practice tests. I honestly can't remember any one specific thing except that my form had more roman numeral questions than I was used to seeing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did 3 points better on the real MCAT than I did on my best practice test (AAMC 5). It was probably just as difficult as the other AAMC tests, but no harder. For every person who was surprised about how poorly they did, there is someone who was surprised about how well they did.

I thought the verbal was alright...I just concentrated the best I could, and @ the 5 min mark, had 1 passage left, and a few questions on another. So, I sped read a little bit, and still came out with a decent, but not great score: 11 V

just do your best..practice like crazy. I mean CRAZY. All AAMC verbal practice items (yes, even the old ones) to begin with, then kaplan and TPR VR.

Practice doesnt make perfect, but it sure helps...

I think what made the verbal harder this time was just that the passages were a little more obscure than the practice ones, a little higher handed - more things that the author would rather you infer than tell you straight out. I mean, if you practice with TPR or Kaplan stuff than you should be fine - my score on the actual was the same that I was usually getting on the practice tests.

Does anybody have any suggestions..........i get about 50 right on kaplan, so that is around a 9, but i only get about 36 right on pr, which is like a 6 or 7.....................can you all think of anything that i can do to get some morem consistency?..........

nero

Originally posted by nero
Does anybody have any suggestions..........i get about 50 right on kaplan, so that is around a 9, but i only get about 36 right on pr, which is like a 6 or 7.....................can you all think of anything that i can do to get some morem consistency?..........

nero

yeah, even more practice (not being sarcastic at all)

I don't think verbal has gotten hader, at least not the scale. I got approx what I was getting on the aamc tests on the april mcat.

My test was at Columbia.

I didn't think the April verbal was harder than the AAMCs...It was probably around the same level of difficulty. In fact, I didn't get much sleep the night before the test, so I was really out of it. I was almost falling asleep during the actual thing, yet I ended up doing well. Just make sure you do lots of practice tests and for goodness' sake get a good nights sleep! :)

i took the mcat in august and got an 8 on verbal. verbal is not my forte, but it was a smooth read.

i just took it in april and my version was definately more dense, challenging questions, wack topics. i friggin got a 6.

ifi i would have gotten the same 8 i would have had a 30 total.

just make sure that on the day of the test you are super focused.

eat lots of protein and take an iron supplement the night and morning orsomething.

it will help you focus beyond belief.....

that was something i did for august but not for april. oh well, life goes on,.

I don't remember... it all happened so fast... there were passages and questions... and then beeping sounds and bright lights.... then it was over... just like that...

is this iron thing true?...........somebody else mentioned that vitamin E supplements help you focus great.........is any of this true?

nero

Hey, I was reading that taking the herb Kava Kava will not only promote relaxation, but actually increases memory recall. No side effects. Well, actually there has been some documented liver damage.

Lets see, 35 on the MCAT or liver damage, hhhmmm. They can do liver transplants pretty routinely now right?

Methamphetamine will make you mind work so quickly that you will be guaranteed a 40+ score. What's more, it can be easily synthesized by dehydration of pseudoephedrine, followed by catalytic hydrogenation. Catch: get the dose right or you can slip into psychosis.

Or just have a decent breakfast...