those who took mcat and DAT -- which was harder?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoxicillin

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you prepared for the MCAT already and did average, are you somewhat prepared for the DAT? thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

<puts on helmet and climbs into bunker>

<rolls eyes and enters fallout shelter... again>

(yep, got plenty of tomato soup, so I should be ok)

Members don't see this ad :)
The MCAT is definitely more difficult, however, I believe if you only did average on the MCAT you will probably only do average on the DAT. I would also not assume that just because you studied for the MCAT you will be well prepared for the DAT. They are very different tests.

What do you mean by average on the MCAT? Do you mean 24 (the national average) or 30 (the matriculating average)? If you mean 30, then you'll probably get 20 or above on DAT and that's great! With a 24 i'm guessing that would correlate to 18/19. This is all estimating though....if you've taken the MCAT and are now going to take the DAT, make sure to review for the Math section and also a few extra bio topics that are on the DAT like plants, worm stuff haha, and a couple other things i don't remember!!!
Good luck!

I studied for the MCAT for about 5 months, but later made the decision that being an MD was not for me. In my opinion, MCAT is much harder, but I also think it depends on what type of a person you are. I felt the Biology and physical science sections on the DAT were much easier (especially because they lacked physics), but the perceptial was different than anything I had seen. They are both difficult in their different ways, but overall I felt that the MCAT was much harder. What I am trying to say is, just because you score well on the MCAT, you can't expect that you will smoke the DAT. There are things the DAT has that the MCAT does not have and vice versa.

OU COLLEGE OF DENTISTRY
CLASS OF 2008

The MCAT was MUCH more difficult. I think that if you score a 28+ on the MCAT then you know enough sciences to at least get 20s on the DAT.

They do test in different manners, but the core of the subject material is still the same. In the case of the DAT, the material is a much more superficial level than the MCAT (but this goes along with the different testing formats).

MCAT by miles.

I agree with the above responses, about how they are different. The MCAT is more detailed and has nothing resembling the PAT section of the DAT. Also, when I took the MCAT, there was a writing section that I hated. Not sure if this is still there. I did much better on the MCAT than the DAT, probably because there was a several year lag before I took the DAT.

jota said:
I agree with the above responses, about how they are different. The MCAT is more detailed and has nothing resembling the PAT section of the DAT. Also, when I took the MCAT, there was a writing section that I hated. Not sure if this is still there. I did much better on the MCAT than the DAT, probably because there was a several year lag before I took the DAT.

What do you mean by much better on that MCAT than on the DAT?

On a seperate note, I wonder how many people who have never either prepped for nor taken an MCAT are commenting in this thread.

At least one Sxr, me, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents before I go play a few rounds of Tiger Woods 04

^^^ Good one!

Without digging out my scores, there was a sheet that was mailed with my scores that gave the percentages that your raw scores translated to. For the MCAT, I was in the high-90 percentile in all categories except one (mid-90s). On the DAT, for science I was in the low 90 percentile, but the rest of the categories were in the 60's, 70's, 80's. (For example, Reading Comprehension I scored in the 65.6 percentile.) That's a big difference to be in the top 65% of scores vs. top 98-99%.

jota said:
Without digging out my scores, there was a sheet that was mailed with my scores that gave the percentages that your raw scores translated to. For the MCAT, I was in the high-90 percentile in all categories except one (mid-90s). On the DAT, for science I was in the low 90 percentile, but the rest of the categories were in the 60's, 70's, 80's. (For example, Reading Comprehension I scored in the 65.6 percentile.) That's a big difference to be in the top 65% of scores vs. top 98-99%.

Yeah you definitely did better on the MCAT.