Those who took the MCAT twice - how did you improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Minimal5

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

I actually posted this in the MCAT forum and got a few responses, but I'd like a few more...

How did you improve?

Did you retake Kaplan/Princeton (if you took the course the first time around)?

What materials did you use?

What was your timeline?

Members don't see this ad.

re-read the fat princeton review science book a few times. it could boost your science scores by 4 points or more.

my friend just read that and got 14 on both bio and physical. but she was an ochem geek. so your results may vary

Members don't see this ad :)
i took once, but a friend of mine took kaplan, studied hard, did bad in aug 02, waited a year, REtook kaplan, studied hard, and went up 6 points in aug 03. she just got her 1st acceptance.

took it twice, once in april and then in august. I went up 2 points in each science and down a point in english. I went through the whole princeton review course again and actually got a tutor for some organic help/

got a 31 first time, retook after studying hard 1 year afterwards and got a 35. So it can be done! don't ever give up!

Went from 30 (Aug 02) to 36 (Apr 03). For preparation, I studied some, not that much considering I spent more time playing video games than actually studying. I'd say working on test taking time management helped the most. Avoid spending too long on any single passage/question.

This year, I increased 7 points from a 25 in April to a 32 in August, and I pretty much crammed for about 3 weeks before the August test. I took a (free) course with Princeton before the first exam, which helped some because of all the practice tests, but I made the mistake of not studying the books they gave me. Needless to say, I studied the books when I prepared for August.

A lot of my improvement came from being psychologically-prepared the second time around... the first time, I stayed overnight in a crappy Red Roof Inn and my testing center was a major university, so there were lots of test-takers and it was very very rigid and intimidating. I found myself having to guess at the ends of each section as well.

The second time I took the test, I stayed overnight at a friend's house and I drank a little the night before. Also, my testing center was a small liberal arts college, where there were very few students and the proctors were much more laid back (albeit the seats were very uncomfortable!). I finished each section with relative ease.

I took the MCAT twice during undergrad. I took Kaplan beofre my first try and I did not do that well. I went up two points for my second try but my score was still not stellar. I waited to apply to medical school and my scores expired, so I had to take it again. I took Princeton Review and I increased my score by 6 points, 8 points over my first try! The moral of the story is, take Princeton Review!

I took it the first time in Apr '02 - I took a Kaplan class, but I hadn't taken my second semester physics or gen chem yet. So I got a 27, with a 7 in PS. I applied and didn't get in anywhere. I just took the test in Aug, after taking the 2 prereqs and got a 30. I had flashcards up the wazoo, took every practice test I could find, but didn't take a class (though I did have the books still from the class). I second the comment a previous poster made about being more psychologically prepared - I just figured I was studying enough the first time with the Kaplan class - BIG mistake. Based on my experience, my opinion is that while those classes are good for learning how to take the test, I don't think they prepare you as well for the actual material on the test - at the end of the day, that's what really matters! So, my method of improvement was memorization and LOTS of practice tests.

Wow, there's seems to be a lot of people who improved! Is this a general trend (I'm sure a lot of hard work is involved) -- taking it for the second time... you'll do better (either because you know what it's like or you get the jist of sitting at the same place for extended period of time, etc.)? Is there anyone who didn't do better second time around?

i dont really think theres a certain way to improve. i guess you have to ask yourself why you didnt do as well as you liked the first time. some people just didnt work hard enough: in that case, learn a review book and practice as much as possible. some people worked hard (like me) but didnt perform when the time came. i just made sure i was calm and finished the second time around. i went up 8 points, and to be honest, i was more prepared the first time around. i think the main things you can do are first relax, second finish, third practice as much as you can. dont stress too hard and good luck

MCAT #1, April = 24 O
MCAT #2, August = 28 Q

Took Princeton review in the spring prior to MCAT #1, used Princeton review books.
No preparation for MCAT #2.

I've recieved 1 MD interview for Baylor College of Medicine.
I was accepted to 2 DO schools, and have interviews for a 3rd one.

Members don't see this ad :)
went from 25R to 33Q.... i just took it easy... no pressure...

I went from a 27N (8VR, 8PS, 11BS) to a 32P (10VR, 10PS, 12BS) between the last April and August MCAT tests.

The difference......absolutly nothing. I did research over last summer, took it easy, and tried not to stress out. The only extra studying I did was a quick review of my physics formulas. I had 5 extra points due to my increased relaxation compared to the April exam. But seriously, don't do what I did, it probably wouldn't work for me again. Just try to relax because that MCAT is one tough mother.

First try took kaplan got 30M (7v,11p,12b), didn't get in anywhere even though english is a second language. Second try got a hold of Berkeley review stuff and Princeton review stuff used, did them and kaplan stuff. Started in Oct. for April mcat total of 6 months and about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. Got 36N (9v,12p,15b). I'm not naturally smart so I have to put in more effort then the next guy, so if you're like me then try this method. If it can work for a slow guy like me it can work for almost anybody who wants it bad enough.

Originally posted by Califlower
Wow, there's seems to be a lot of people who improved! Is this a general trend (I'm sure a lot of hard work is involved) -- taking it for the second time... you'll do better (either because you know what it's like or you get the jist of sitting at the same place for extended period of time, etc.)? Is there anyone who didn't do better second time around?

1st time: 25O; took Kaplan course.

2nd time: 25M; studied Kaplan materials for a month, class notes, but only took 2 practice exams.

3rd time: 25P; took AAMC's 4 practice exams repeatedly, used flash cards, and Kaplan materials. Practically crammed for 3 weeks. However, I definitely felt more prepared.

Got the same verbal score 3 times (I'm a very slow reader, although I'm reading more), and similar science scores.

I still have an interview in Dec.

The moral of the story: You'll have to find a better studying strategy than I. Don't be discouraged by my results, but the reality remains that not everyone will improve the 2nd time around.

Good luck!

9 points without a prep course.

1st time took Princeton review: got 29 L, 12P, 11B, 6V. English is my second language, I didn't have much hope of improving in verbal. Studied the EK verbal and practiced with EK 101, spent hours and hours reading anything and everything; hardly even reviewed for sciences. Second time got 31M, 12P, 9B, 10V. So it is possible to improve, even in verbal and even if you are an ESL.

chintu

i went up 9 points, and took kaplan both times, went up 4 in verbal, 3 in bio, 2 in phys.

A friend went from 22 (April) to 30 (August) in less than 2 months of studying. He was in my Kaplan class before the first try, and I think he continued to use Kaplan study materials in the summer. Verbal went from 4 to 8, and sciences went from ? to 11's on each. Big improvements can definitely be made.

I took the MCAT the second time after 7 years away from school.

I started studying the Kaplan books that I bought online, plus my old Biology textbook.

I guess it depends on the individual, but I found most helpful actually reading the bio book. Nice big color graphics, thorough explanations, and charts stick better in my head than dry, single-color, terse review books.

I also (this may be fundamental, but it helped me) printed out the AAMC pages outlining the MCAT topics. It's like 3 or 4 pages, and thoroughly covers the content. Made flash cards for each line-item, and then proceeded to cover them all, writing down any formulae or important notes on the flash card.

Biggest thing most people overlook though is that MCAT gives you much of the info you need in the passages. Deductive reasoning is super important. If you can, practice this skill. LSAT books have good reasoning-skills help. I didn't practice this, but I know that it's one of my strengths, much more so than my bio and physics knowledge.

End result : 1st test V12, P10, B9, W R TOTAL 31 R
2nd test V14, P11, B10, W S TOTAL 35 S :clap:

Hope this helps, good luck!

Jess

obviously the mcat isn't doing a very good job testing peoples' abilities if it is possible to improve so dramatically!