Those who work as pharm-techs, were you registered with state when hired

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zanza7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from Florida and looking to become a pharmacy technician at a retail pharmacy. Florida requires as of Jan 1st of 2011 that Pharm-Techs complete a board approved program or an employers program. I have my PTCB certification but do not want to take a full 40-80 course for 2-3k. Will they hire me and allow me to take their course for registration If i work retail or as clerk?

Is it worth me taking an accredited course on my own before trying to get a job? I would hate to get stuck working retail and getting no pharmacy experience during with my schedule.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I have my PTCB certification but do not want to take a full 40-80 course for 2-3k. Will they hire me and allow me to take their course for registration If i work retail or as clerk?

Is it worth me taking an accredited course on my own before trying to get a job? I would hate to get stuck working retail and getting no pharmacy experience during with my schedule.

Thanks for your help.

I don't work in retail or in any pharm environment yet, but I can easily bet that the big pharmacies such as CVS and Walgreens will have their own program in place. Having your PTCB cert already is an incentive (I would think) to hire you. They don't have wonder if you will pass etc.

Personally I wouldn't take any courses until I am actually hired. Like I said you got the cert already, which is a good thing. Get hired, ask questions and if you end up JUST as a cashier than look elsewhere.

By the way, can you please link me to the source that mentions the "by Jan 2011 program thing?" I am curious since I am in a similar boat.

Many retail places will have the designation of "pharmacy intern", which starts with a lower pay. I was registered with my state prior to receiving employment.

The course seems pretty hefty. In Texas, we are able to take the PTCB exam and register with the state (no special classes needed).

Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
In California, retail pharmacies require you to be registered with the Board of Pharmacy before they will hire you as a pharmacy technician.

I became a tech in Florida before the registration rule went into effect. But from what I can gather from coworkers and employers (the information on the Florida Department of Health website is SO unbelievably unspecific); yes, you will need some sort of a training program. The PTCB is definitely no longer enough. That being said, I've heard that big chains like Walgreens, CVS and Publix have training programs that fulfill the new requirement. So I'd suggest seeking employment at a large retail chain in order to become registered. Places like hospitals will probably want people who are already certified and registered--the hospital where I work does.

Ive been a pharm tech(also in FL) for 6 years and did not require that when I started. However the company that I work for now, does require any future employees to be certified. Are you studying to become a pharmacist or just want a job as a technician?

When I first started working in a pharmacy in Florida back in 2008, it was not required at the time to be registered by the state nor be certified to work in a pharmacy. It was not until a year or two later that it was actually required by the state.