though program invites spouse, is it OK for spouse to attend pre-interview dinner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The program's website invites significant other to attend pre-interview dinner. But is it advisable to do so..

Also what's preceptor observation in the interview process.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

Members don't see this ad.

The program's website invites significant other to attend pre-interview dinner. But is it advisable to do so..

Also what's preceptor observation in the interview process.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

Think about what you're asking. :confused: The programs website says that SO's can come to the pre-interview dinner, why would it not be advisable not to come? It's not a trick they're pulling to see if you make the right decision or not. :D Bring her along, it makes everything more comfortable rather than being by yourself.

I know you're right ....sometimes I get tooooo paranoid :scared:

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
i went to 3 pre-interview dinners and no one brought a spouse, but im sure there would have been no problem if they did. i think it also depends on ur spouse. i havent brought my husband because im usually concerned enough about making a good impression myself, that i dont want to add an extra variable into the equation (like them not totally clicking with my husband). it might be good to take ur spouse along if u usually bring ur spouse to med schl parties, etc because then she/he can see if she/he likes the program and residents and would be comfortable with them. if u usually dont mix ur med schl world with ur home life, then it doesnt matter.

i dont know where u're from desi, but if ur spouse isnt from here (ie grew up in india), then u may want to consider whether she/he would introduce any extra barriers (in terms of culture, language issues) at the dinner. its one reason i didnt take my spouse. im not saying that a person from elsewhere is backwards or something, but i think a lot of the resident's evaluations about u will have to do with how well they see u fitting into their program. u may fit in better than ur spouse. for some ppl it will important that their future colleagues will also get along with their spouse, for others it doesnt matter because they're just their to work anyway.

I know you're right ....sometimes I get tooooo paranoid :scared:

Thanks a lot

Am I off base here, don't most people who want FM get darn near their number 1 choice? Why is there concern over matching and little details? In all seriousness, what is the likelyhood of not matching at one of your top three (assuming they are not the top three FM programs in the country)?

Am I off base here, don't most people who want FM get darn near their number 1 choice? Why is there concern over matching and little details? In all seriousness, what is the likelyhood of not matching at one of your top three (assuming they are not the top three FM programs in the country)?

I hear that most match at their #1, but that doesn't mean it is ok to be cavalier and not make every effort to put your best face forward. "Effort" to one may be "paranoia" to another.

I hear that most match at their #1, but that doesn't mean it is ok to be cavalier and not make every effort to put your best face forward. "Effort" to one may be "paranoia" to another.

I have an acquaintance who graduated last year and is doing fp. She got into her 3rd choice and they weren't even the top programs in the country; she even did sub-I's at all of these places to increase her chances of getting in and she's really smart too. I don't think it's paranoia to be concerned. Heck, I'm concerned. It's harder to get into the residency program you want when you're from an out-of-state med school (I think).

I have an acquaintance who graduated last year and is doing fp. She got into her 3rd choice and they weren't even the top programs in the country; she even did sub-I's at all of these places to increase her chances of getting in and she's really smart too. I don't think it's paranoia to be concerned. Heck, I'm concerned. It's harder to get into the residency program you want when you're from an out-of-state med school (I think).

Yeah, I'm not saying to be cocky or overconfident, just saying not to sweat the small stuff (easier said than done though). It's not ortho you know, but I can understand stress from the unpredictable match and that it can be an un-nerving time.

And your friend, she still did get her top three :)

Interesting thought about out of state, I hadn't heard that before. Do you think that applies to the community programs or just academic?

Yeah, I guess data from previous years and comfort from advisors only gives so much re-assurance. A lot is riding on the match and I can understand dotting all the i's and crossing the t's.

And your friend, she still did get her top three :)

Interesting thought about out of state, I hadn't heard that before. Do you think that applies to the community programs or just academic?

I'm not sure... I think it may be the academic programs as well as programs in general that are in popular locations. She only applied to programs in Colorado. I've never lived there but a lot of people at my med school are interested in that state.

It's harder to get into the residency program you want when you're from an out-of-state med school (I think).

I highly doubt it. If you're a strong candidate, it's not going to make a difference. I can't imagine a program would take a weaker in-stater over a stronger out-of-stater. Getting into a residency is much different than getting into med school.

I highly doubt it. If you're a strong candidate, it's not going to make a difference. I can't imagine a program would take a weaker in-stater over a stronger out-of-stater. Getting into a residency is much different than getting into med school.

What if you have strong out-of-state AND strong in-state applicants to choose from?

What if you have strong out-of-state AND strong in-state applicants to choose from?

Then it's a crap shoot. Just do your best during the interview and hope for the best on match day.

My husband has come to some of the dinners, and it has been really nice. The residents brought their spouses to every dinner I've been to. One program even insisted that he come. It's nice to get his opinion about the program and he has the opportunity to ask questions. Like it or not, your rank list and match will affect them too, so it's nice to get your spouses input.

I'm the chief resident at a program in Ohio and I can tell you that we prefer you bring your significant other and if so, we try to bring our families to the dinner as well. We don't judge you based on if your significant other chews his or her food with their mouth open or has a glass of wine (I'd actually encourage that one). Our goal is for you to be comfortable so that we can get to know the real you. Family medicine is all about families, so we want to meet you, the husband or wife, the kids, etc. And we try to find a way to make the transition for the significant other as smooth as possible (i.e., helping to find them a job, daycare for the kids, etc.). I rank applicants who let their guard down and just act like "real people" more favorably then someone who is uptight and can't have fun.

Dean

Refreshing for this year's applicants.

So it's definitely OK to bring spouses to pre-interview dinners. But what about boyfriends, girlfriends? I mean, if we are in a serious relationship and he is planning to move where I get into residency, I feel he should get to meet the residents as well, and hopefully talk to their spouses to see how they've coped/adjusted. Plus, I trust his input and it would be nice to compare impressions!

However, like others have said, I am afraid of adding that extra variable. Neither I nor my bf are very extroverted, and so I have enough to worry about during the dinner without having to worry whether he is also impressing them/looking like he is having a good time. Like it or not, their evaluation of me will probably also factor him in subconsciously.

So I don't know...I can see definite pros and cons to this...

Anyone else have input here?

FP interviews are generally so casual that the program just really wants to get to know you...no tricky questions...so if having your SO there will help you relax & be yourself than that's what you should do.

most programs dont pay for the airfare for the applicant itself(even though they take care of the accomodation the night prior for both spouse and u),why pay extra for the spouse for the airfare.
so simple as that

does it make sense