Thought about getting a MBA or have an MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MINI430

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys...have any of you considered getting an MBA after graduation or already pursued an MBA after graduation? I have a pretty good bus. background but feel a couple class from an MBA program would be a huge help! What are your thoughts? Has anyone attended the ADA/Kellogg School of Management (Northwestern University) "Mini MBA" program? (http://www.ada.org/prof/events/featured/kellogg/index.asp)

Members don't see this ad.

MINI430 said:
Hey Guys...have any of you considered getting an MBA after graduation or already pursued an MBA after graduation? I have a pretty good bus. background but feel a couple class from an MBA program would be a huge help! What are your thoughts? Has anyone attended the ADA/Kellogg School of Management (Northwestern University) "Mini MBA" program? (http://www.ada.org/prof/events/featured/kellogg/index.asp)

I am going to strongly encourage all of my kids to pursue an MBA no matter what they decide to do in life. I wish I had done that.

i am thinking about an mba.. but lets finish dental school first i guess. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Come to UNLV, you can take night classes yr 2,3,4 and finish your MBA at the same time at a discounted price, the only prerequisite is a bachelors degree and a 500 on the GMAT. Pretty sweet

DIRTIE said:
Come to UNLV, you can take night classes yr 2,3,4 and finish your MBA at the same time at a discounted price, the only prerequisite is a bachelors degree and a 500 on the GMAT. Pretty sweet

I think an MBA is a great degree but not for a dentist who wants to have a private practice. For the most part, it is a general education and not focused on the business of dentistry. I think taking the same time and working in a well run dental practice would be very beneficial. Instead of paying for an MBA, volunteer your time at a top dental practice in the area that you would like to practice. Just my opinion.

Happy2th said:
I am going to strongly encourage all of my kids to pursue an MBA no matter what they decide to do in life. I wish I had done that.
Really?! I think MBA's are a huge waste of time for people who pursue careers in private practice dentistry, medicine, etc. Like somebody else said, an MBA is a general education. Getting an MBA from a top school sounds pretty cool, but if i were going to become a dentist (which I am), I know i would drop out after two weeks of writing memos, doing case analysis, and schmoozing with self-centered classmates (which is the main purpose of an MBA anyhow). *Of course, not all are self-centered though.* If you're gonna be a clinical dentist, just take the time to meet with an accountant in your first years out so that you can structure your business to take advantage of all possible business benefits you can get (incorporating, weird tax loopholes, etc.) . Either that, or go take some night classes in accounting at a local university or community college. You're not gonna learn much about how to run a private dental practice by getting an MBA. It would be much more cost and time-effective to meet with an accountant with experience in this area.

Getting an MBA is overkill. A dentist runs a business, and should know how to do so effectively, but getting an MBA is the $1000 solution to the $10 problem. At the end of it, you would know so many things that would apply to businesses very, very different than dentistry and healthcare. My business education was very good, but we never studied the healthcare industry because it was rare for students in the business school to move over to healthcare. We studied about manufacturing, retail, chemical, tech and some service oriented industries. An MBA sounds glamourous, but a person would be better served by taking some night courses in accounting, marketing, organizational behavior, investments, and finance. Maybe a max of 30 credit hours. I will never set another foot inside of a business program. Never, so long as my intention is to be a dentist.

Mouthjaw said:
I think an MBA is a great degree but not for a dentist who wants to have a private practice. For the most part, it is a general education and not focused on the business of dentistry. I think taking the same time and working in a well run dental practice would be very beneficial. Instead of paying for an MBA, volunteer your time at a top dental practice in the area that you would like to practice. Just my opinion.

I agree, I'm not going to waste my time, money, and effort doing it, but a bunch of students down here have a way different opinion about it. I believe it will cost 3 or 4 K for the masters degree. I say go for it if you have the desire. I think people do it for different reasons, they want to teach, run other companies besides there dental practice, or maybe they just want to be that much more intelligent, who knows, all I way saying is it is a great deal here at UNLV because they have a concurrent program and you can count some credits towards the MBA and graduate in both at the end of the four years. Pretty sure it takes 5 at other institutions?

Everything about the idea of a MBA not directly relating to the aspect of dentistry makes sense. I've heard of a MBA in Health Care Administration or Management, is this more for people who solely have administrative responsibilities, like at a hospital, and not for someone like a dentist who plans to run a dental practice and work directly with patients?

checkamundo said:
Everything about the idea of a MBA not directly relating to the aspect of dentistry makes sense. I've heard of a MBA in Health Care Administration or Management, is this more for people who solely have administrative responsibilities, like at a hospital, and not for someone like a dentist who plans to run a dental practice and work directly with patients?

Yep, what you'll be taught in an MBA program is how to run a hospital with 5000 employees. By comparison, if you aspired to be a dental lab tech, you could correctly assume that getting a dental degree would teach you most of what you need to know about being a tech, but it doesn't make any sense to take this route. The better option would be to go work for a tech and learn everything you can from him; or, if a local community college offers some dental lab tech courses, you could enroll in those. If a dentist enrolls in an MBA program, they will be taught business fundamentals (which is all they need) and they will be taught the intricacies and nuances of business (what most general dentists really don't need). Just like a dental tech really doesn't need to attend dental school and learn about the deep cervical fascia or about the pathology of oral diseases in order to do his job.

An MBA would help you more in a private dental practice than you realize. It doesn't have to be focused on the business of dentistry.

Howard Farran has his MBA. Ask him his opinion on whether or not it has helped him in his dental practice...... And ask him if he had to do it all over again, if he would skip getting his MBA. You know the answer.

I will pursue a MBA from the ROss school of Business at MIchigan. Although it may not help as much in a private practice it may help land a job on wallstreet...did anyone read that NY Times article about the Physician who works on wallstreet analyzing drugs and stuff and gets paid something like 20 million? Anything is possible its just what u make out it, whether or not u have a MBA.

Hey Guys...have any of you considered getting an MBA after graduation or already pursued an MBA after graduation? I have a pretty good bus. background but feel a couple class from an MBA program would be a huge help! What are your thoughts? Has anyone attended the ADA/Kellogg School of Management (Northwestern University) "Mini MBA" program? (http://www.ada.org/prof/events/featured/kellogg/index.asp)[

Some schools such as temple and Upenn have dual degree programs. At temple the MBA is free as long as you finish the MBA program before you get your DMD. If you are blessed enough to get into UPenn then you have a chance to go to Wharton's. Which everyone knows is one of the top programs in the nation. Now that would be great....