Thoughts About Taking A Year Off To Sit My Steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azurus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am a soon-to-be IMG. I'm planning on applying for the match next year but I haven't taken any of my USMLEs. I was planning on taking a year off to sit at home and focus on getting the highest USMLE scores I could possibly get. The only problem I am facing is that I'm getting mixed reactions from my friends and Ive seen mixed outcomes from people who did that (some people got matched and some people didn't)
I just need a proper answer from a someone. Assuming that my USMLE scores are through the roof, does it make me less competitive to be taking a year off ??? (I don't assume its going to be a full year off. if I'm done with my USMLEs earlier, this will give me more time to do externships while I wait on applying to the match.)

thanks in advance everyone

Members don't see this ad.

An amazing score with time off looks exponentially better than a mediocre score without time off, especially as an IMG. Just make sure you can get that score, otherwise you'll dig yourself a deeper hole

An amazing score with time off looks exponentially better than a mediocre score without time off, especially as an IMG. Just make sure you can get that score, otherwise you'll dig yourself a deeper hole
yeah, that's the plan. Another question for you if you don't mind. Do you think externships and observerships as an IMG count for anything or are they usually overlooked? I'm only asking because if I finish my USMLEs early, I was looking into options to fill in the spare time for the rest of the year until I apply for the match

I can't give you an honest answer as I am not an IMG. You definitely should not limit your preparation study-time for the exam to "fit" an externship in the year because again, your score will be vastly more important as an IMG than an externship/observership. However, if you've peaked and did well on the exam and have time left over, you definitely should stay active and pursue those possibilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about not taking a year off and failing step 1 vs taking a year off and getting a mediocre score on step 1?

what about not taking a year off and failing step 1 vs taking a year off and getting a mediocre score on step 1?

if its between those 2 options, failing would be better, only if on retaking you do well. Once you pass it your stuck with that score. I.E if after failing on retake you get a 225, that is better than passing with lets say a 205 on your 1st try.

if its between those 2 options, failing would be better, only if on retaking you do well. Once you pass it your stuck with that score. I.E if after failing on retake you get a 225, that is better than passing with lets say a 205 on your 1st try.

Failing is never better than passing.

A PD can create a filter for a failed score, so you already cut your residency pick down by doing so. Passing the first time is always better than failing in virtually every case.