Thoughts about Tulane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has had any experience with Tulane. They give an automatic secondary for all that apply, so i'm wonder if anyone has had any experience with them, in regards to applying with a low GPA, high MCAT, excellent extracurriculars and letters of rec.

The purpose for asking this is i'm trying to gauge how i will apply to schools, and specifically to Tulane. Pretty much those that actually got in, what did you think was the deciding factor. Or at least what was the factor that probably got you to interviews?

As always thanks for all the help and input!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a low undergrad GPA, high MCAT, better-than-average ECs, and my recommenders each knew me at a different time in my life, so they presented a good picture of me over time.

Despite the low ugrad GPA, I had a strong upward trend in graduate school and then post-bacc work. So I think that was the factor that kept my application out of the trash can. And there were really no other weak points than the ugrad GPA, and the disastrous effect it had on my cumulative GPA.

I really have no idea why they chose to interview me, or why they admitted me. I have yet to do anything spectacular, except cause trouble for myself. However, by sheer chance I'd had some unusual medical experiences that I talked about in my personal statement, and I think they felt it might add something unique to the class. And it was probably good preparation for a clerkship at Charity. :laugh:

Anyway, there are schools which specifically have a process for evaluating applications that fall short of their numerical screening criteria, but which are outstanding in some other component. Your pre-med advisor (if he or she is any good) should know which schools do that, and can give you some valuable ($$$$-saving) advice on where to apply.

Hope this helps.

Thats interesting, especially your "unusual medical experience". I too have had one, which i hopefully successfully integrated into my latest draft of my personal statement. I guess "unusual" is a relative term but hey it was unique.

I have to admit, i am excited and nervous about applying this year. Excited that after all these years of challenges, that it somehow all melded together into something that defined why i want to be a doc. Pretty interesting how things work out that way huh?

Anyway, the outcome remains to be seen. I just feel like i've been building up this application for so long, and now i can finally let it loose. After surviving and overcoming family and economic challenges, and finding opportunities through what appears to be shear luck.....but then again, luck plays a big role in med school acceptances from what i've heard. Hopefully i havn't run out of luck yet:)

Anyway your info was very helpful. If you dont' mind, for the sake of my sanity, do you mind PMing me your stats? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks a million!

Hey,

I'll send you a PM but I think deciding factors for me were probably high verbal MCAT, lots of international travel experience, and an interest in tropical medicine (they have an outstanding program).

Good luck!