Thoughts, advice, very bleak...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Genefreak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,

I am hoping you can give me some advice, I have posted in the forums before about my situation but I think I can maybe explain further

1) If I were to get a good score when I take the mcat, with my current GPA, poor GPA from my old school and limited research experience, do I even have a chance for the 2011 cycle for an acceptance into an MD/PhD program.
Current GPA - 3.83
research - one summer , plus one academic year if I were to apply next cycle.

2) So the question is should I go through the whole application process just to get rejected

3) MCAT score should I be aiming for.?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) If I were to get a good score when I take the mcat, with my current GPA, poor GPA from my old school and limited research experience, do I even have a chance for the 2011 cycle for an acceptance into an MD/PhD program.

2) So the question is should I go through the whole application process just to get rejected

3) MCAT score should I be aiming for.?
1) Considering all relevant factors, I think that applying to MD/PhD programs with only one year of research experience is highly unlikely to end well.

2) I think it would be premature to apply in 2011 if MD/PhD is your goal.

3) 35+.

1) Considering all relevant factors, I think that applying to MD/PhD programs with only one year of research experience is highly unlikely to end well.

2) I think it would be premature to apply in 2011 if MD/PhD is your goal.

3) 35+.

Thanks for your reply, So do you think I have a chance for just MD acceptance.

Also, since MD/Phd is what i really want, if I were to continue to doing research for my senior yr and then take a gap year, would I have a chance.
Although this is just a hypothetical situation which is not possible.

Thanks again

-High school teacher at my old High school. From 2007-2009
-involved in my church youth group,
-Helped form a community development group and volunteered at a radio station.
-I also did a number of other little things here and there.
-two months doing bioinformatics research at a larger university.
-October (2010) I began doing research with MRSA
-mentor for anatomy lab, like a TA kinda I suppose.
-a few of clubs at school.

This is plan for next semester
- I plan to continue with my research.
-I also hope to complete some about 50 hours each of volunteering and shadowing, at least by June.
-I also plan to apply to a few summer research programs even though I think don’t have a chance.
1) So do you think I have a chance for just MD acceptance.

2) if I were to continue to doing research for my senior yr and then take a gap year, would I have a chance.
1) You won't have enough clinical experience in time for a summer 2011 application if you'll only have about 6 months worth. MD-only programs have higher expectations for ECs than MD/PhD programs.

2) Your chances would be much greater for MD/PhD with at least two years of research on your application. Two years of research plus 1.5 years of clinical experience would also give you a better shot at the MD-only highly selective research giants which take internationals.