1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Thoughts on Albany?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Tre Cool, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Tre Cool

Tre Cool Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

anyone go on an interview there? any comments?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. daviddamoore

daviddamoore UK fool
    5+ Year Member

Albany medical college seems a really nice place. The students are very enthusiastic about the place. I had two interviews - for which I prepared using the interview feedback on SDN. Most people at my interview day seemed to fit in with the "one very conversational, one a little more intimidating" format. A couple of people only had one interview. All in all, the school is great and the interviews pretty relaxed - however, Albany the city is the worst place I have ever been to. If I go there, I will be studying non-stop just to try and stop myself from being depressed at where I live!

4. Scalpellum

Scalpellum SDN Donor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I interviewed there about 2 weeks ago. I stayed with a friend who didn't seem to like the school very much. What I noticed is that the school seems really small because it is attached to the medical center. The medical school is across the street from the pharmacy and law school. I liked the change in weather. All the trees were changing color. There is nothing really to do in Albany except go to Lark St. and go to random bars. After the interview I went to Jack's Oyster House and then to Albany's Pump Station. I only had one interview and it was pretty relaxed. The last question they asked me was about Terry Schiavo. They like to ask ethical questions. Overall it was a great experience because I have never been to Albany before.

5. LucidSplash

LucidSplash Bloody Plumber
    Physician Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I went to undergrad right near Utica (about 1 hour west of Albany), and I just wanted to add that you should definitely be prepared for long cold nasty winters with grey skies and the sun not actually being out for months. The nice "change in the weather" lasts for a very short time. Don't get me wrong, I am applying to Albany and one other school in Upstate NY myself and I loved my undergrad experience, but the weather is definitely something to take into account in this area.

6. MDCali

MDCali Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Albany is a good school. When I interviewed there, I stayed with a student who was very nice and enthusiastic about the school. I feel the school's greatest asset is the student body, and I'm sure if you ask anyone there they'll say the same thing. The students at Albany Medical College are an amazing bunch of people. All the ones I met have great personalities, interests outside of medicine and are willing to help each other out. It is evident that the school itself does try to find students with personalities to go there. That's why they tell us to describe ourselves on the secondary. You'll get a good (and expensive) education there for sure.

The city of Albany isn't really the nicest, but I guess I'm spoiled coming from California. The buildings are old, the school is small. The students seem to be happy to be there too. If it wasn't for the student body, I don't think I would be very happy going there.

7. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I interviewed there last year and loved it. The students were enthusiastic and helpful. The interview was a conversational "we want to get to know you" interview.

8. carn311

carn311 Dead tired.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've lived in the capital region my entire life and I am currently at SUNY albany for my undergrad. The city of albany is a pit. Lets put it this way: when I was testing out of my EMT-B class and they told us we would be going to albany high for our written my pants got a little heavier! :eek: They were talking yesterday on the local news channel about albany's crime rate being higher than the Bronx. If you do go to AMC commute. There are nice areas everywhere around the city. Try: troy (certain parts), guilderland, lathem, east greenbush...anywhere...it'll be worth the drive every day trust me.

9. thegenius

thegenius Senior Wharf Rat
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I interviewed at Albany and I loved it. Now, I didn't get a chance to cruise the city, but what I saw of it didn't upset me. It looks like any small-medium town/city in the north east. Lots of trees, wood houses, etc. I didn't drive through stretches of slums for instance.

I really liked the staff, faculty, and students. Overall I had a real positive experience there. My only grip is tuition cost, it's >40K. But Albany is a cheap place to live.

I'm not sure why people nag on Albany...it's not the perfect school but in reality I think it would be a great place to go if you didn't get into a top 20 or 25 school.

10. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i really liked albany. even the town (gasp)

i think it has a really cool and historic feel to it. call me crazy, but the place has TONS of character. (and, oh yeah, ITS CHEAP AS &%[email protected]!!)

i loved the integration of hospital/school. the peeps seemed really friendly (but not pumped about amc for some reason), tons of shadowing, volunteer, and research opportunities.

i really can't understand why the place isn't more highly thought of... :rolleyes:

but alas, the one negative i can say is the facilities were a little dated (esp considering the 40K a year price tag), but oh swell.

(grain of salt: i still liked tulane (and my state school, for that matter--both of which ive been accepted to thank god) better though, so go figure; but i would have gone there otherwise no problemo)