mphthenmd

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2005
91
0
38
Status
Medical Student
What are everyones' thoughts on joining AMSA?
 

cbgray

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
52
0
TX
Status
Medical Student
Seems like a no-brainer to join up. Don't you get discounted books through them?

I remember sneaking onto their website back when I was a wannabe (well, I guess I still am for a couple more weeks) and thought their forums were really cool. I'm pretty much guessing that's why nobody on here is a current student - they've all moved up to the AMSA world.
 

Church

Snark-free since 2008
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
169
0
Waynesboro, Georgia
www.mwci.org
Status
Medical Student
They are waaaaay too political for my taste. I got enough other crap to do without politics intruding.
 
About the Ads

forkslide

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
6
0
Status
Medical Student
mphthenmd said:
What are everyones' thoughts on joining AMSA?
The problem with AMSA is that once medical school ends, no benefit will come by being part of that organization. The AMA is a better organization to join because you can stay a member throughout your career, and they are a professional organization that has signficantly more clout. Besides, AMA offers a free medical dictionary and is more politically moderate than AMSA.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
Church said:
They are waaaaay too political for my taste. I got enough other crap to do without politics intruding.
I was president of AMSA at my school for 2 years, and didn't have to deal with the politics, since they don't happen at the local club level.
 

jocg27

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
470
7
Status
Medical Student
forkslide said:
The problem with AMSA is that once medical school ends, no benefit will come by being part of that organization. The AMA is a better organization to join because you can stay a member throughout your career, and they are a professional organization that has signficantly more clout. Besides, AMA offers a free medical dictionary and is more politically moderate than AMSA.
you can be in both...
 

jocg27

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
470
7
Status
Medical Student
OSUdoc08 said:
I was president of AMSA at my school for 2 years, and didn't have to deal with the politics, since they don't happen at the local club level.
Were you president during undergrad, or med school?
 

njbmd

Guest
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
9,050
146
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
forkslide said:
The problem with AMSA is that once medical school ends, no benefit will come by being part of that organization. The AMA is a better organization to join because you can stay a member throughout your career, and they are a professional organization that has signficantly more clout. Besides, AMA offers a free medical dictionary and is more politically moderate than AMSA.
Hi there,
AMA is a great start with being involved in the business and practice of medicine. I was the AMA rep from my medical school and it turned out to be a huge plus when residency application time came alone. A couple of the attendings at Mass General and Hopkins remembered me from my national AMA activities and gave me high praise for being involved.

I was pretty politically involved with AMA in the context that I lobbied for decreasing the loan burden for medical students, changing the reimbursement formula for practicing physicians and increased financial rewards for medical students who go into primary care (I'm a surgeon so this one doesn't help me much). I am also involved in healthcare delivery to underserved populations both rural and urban especially to Latino, Native American, Vietnamese and African-American populations that are hit hard with chronic diseases.

Being active as medical student member of AMA gives you loads of contact with the local medical societies too. All things considered, and for the long haul, AMA gives more bang for the buck than AMSA.

njbmd :) :)
 

jocg27

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
470
7
Status
Medical Student
njbmd said:
Hi there,
AMA is a great start with being involved in the business and practice of medicine. I was the AMA rep from my medical school and it turned out to be a huge plus when residency application time came alone. A couple of the attendings at Mass General and Hopkins remembered me from my national AMA activities and gave me high praise for being involved.

I was pretty politically involved with AMA in the context that I lobbied for decreasing the loan burden for medical students, changing the reimbursement formula for practicing physicians and increased financial rewards for medical students who go into primary care (I'm a surgeon so this one doesn't help me much). I am also involved in healthcare delivery to underserved populations both rural and urban especially to Latino, Native American, Vietnamese and African-American populations that are hit hard with chronic diseases.

Being active as medical student member of AMA gives you loads of contact with the local medical societies too. All things considered, and for the long haul, AMA gives more bang for the buck than AMSA.

njbmd :) :)
I again point out that you can be in both...
 

jocg27

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
470
7
Status
Medical Student
The thing is that AMSA and AMA are two different groups and each have a ery different focus. Sure you, as a physician, can get more out of AMA - it's an advocacy group for physicians...That's what it's for, it makes no arguments to the contrary. AMSA makes no such claims. It's heavily involved in advocacy as well, but more advocating for students and, I'd argue but not everyone would agree, patients.

Whether or not you agree with that is one thing...But the two definitely have a different focus and purpose, and they're not mutually exclusive. You can be in both. I am...
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
jocg27 said:
Were you president during undergrad, or med school?
Med School (MS-I and MS-II)
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
By the way, AMSA is the largest student-led medical student organization in the nation. It is great for networking and meeting people from many other medical schools.
 
About the Ads