Thoughts on attending professional program during gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newyork1004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished an undergrad program and have a gap year during the application cycle. As a backup plan, I have applied to pharmacy programs and got accepted. I am interested in learning more about drugs and take courses to improve my GPA, so I am considering attending the school. At the same time, Idk if this would look badly when I apply to med school. If my ultimate goal is MD, would it be a good idea to attend pharmacy program during gap year?

Members don't see this ad.

It will not look good unless you have a compelling reason to switch. #lolbackupplan doesn't count.

Bump this... anyone?
Is it a bad idea to take pharmacy classes to boost my bio GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will be classified as graduate courses so will not affect GPA.

Bump this... anyone?
Is it a bad idea to take pharmacy classes to boost my bio GPA?

I was under the impression that pharmacy classes in the PharmD curriculum are quite challenging...

You should have searched for non-pharmacy doctorate/professional options. I'm doing a masters in pharmacology and toxicology at uc Davis in the fall because:
1. I'm interested in it
2. Medical students get minimal advanced pharmacology courses
3. It will help me get research exposure and allow me to continue research in and after medical school.

I'm not doing it to boost my chances of getting into medical school. But, a thesis does look pretty good, so I can't complain. I also get to take a lot of advanced physio and things like that.

I just finished an undergrad program and have a gap year during the application cycle. As a backup plan, I have applied to pharmacy programs and got accepted. I am interested in learning more about drugs and take courses to improve my GPA, so I am considering attending the school. At the same time, Idk if this would look badly when I apply to med school. If my ultimate goal is MD, would it be a good idea to attend pharmacy program during gap year?

Taking a spot in a professional program when you don't intend to finish or practice that profession is a dick move.

If you wanted advanced training as a backup plan, as someone said above, you should have gone for a one year masters program.

Also said above, the courses would be considered grad and wouldn't move your undergrad GPA. Plus medical schools may look poorly on starting something you don't intend to finish.

It's a bad idea. You will look flighty applying to medical school at the same time you are starting pharmacy school - adcoms will question your ability and desire to commit to the profession.

Taking a spot in a professional program when you don't intend to finish or practice that profession is a dick move.

If you wanted advanced training as a backup plan, as someone said above, you should have gone for a one year masters program.

Also said above, the courses would be considered grad and wouldn't move your undergrad GPA. Plus medical schools may look poorly on starting something you don't intend to finish.

This.

So I'm a pharmacist applying to medical school and just based on this post I would probably recommend not going to pharmacy school for just 1 year. The first year is very hard. You take at least 5 HARD upper level science classes but do not learn any pharmacotherapy until your 2nd pharmacy year (P2). The first year is biochem, a&p, physical chemistry, medicinal chemistry, etc. at least at my pharmacy school. Also you will probably appear flightly to adcoms. Just my $0.02. Also at least the first 2 years of pharmacy school are considered undergrad years at most pharmacy schools.