Spongeman7

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2018
Hello! I am writing my PS right now and was curious to hear what you think about being specific on your PS. By this, I mean I discuss a lot of experiences working with kids throughout the years (clinical & nonclinical), how my childhood events affected that choice, and working with underserved kids specifically. I do not explicitly state anywhere that "I want to be a pediatrician" although it could probably be assumed, but rather how those experiences working with kids has made me want to become a physician. In the end, I just think it explains my story very well.

But will this make it seem like I am not open to other specialties going into medicine, and close minded? I know the best PS are personal and paint your true picture of why you want to become a physician, and my work with children is why, but I don't want to make adcoms think I am not open minded as I know many students switch their specialties throughout med school, and I of course want to experience working in all areas. Thank you for the advice in advance!

Sep 10, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
But will this make it seem like I am not open to other specialties going into medicine, and close minded?
I'm no adcom, but I am almost certain it will not come across like this. Adcoms know that most students end up changing their specialty interests at some point through medical school. Most people won't expect you to know for certain which specialty you will go into before you even start your medical training. If those experiences are what forged your passion for medicine (which I think sound great, by the way), then you should include them!

Reactions: 2 users

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
People do not decide to enter medicine to become some generic doctor; they almost certainly have some image or idea of the kind of doctor they want to be. I find it extremely disingenuous to position yourself otherwise

additionally, you should write why you want to be a doctor and not project what you perceive adcoms want to hear.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

ThrowawayShmoaway

2+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2019
Pediatricians are not the only physicians that work with kids. You can (and should) write about how working with children has influenced you to pursue medicine, and doing so doesn't mean you're being close-minded or "pigeonholing" yourself into one specialty.

Reactions: 1 users

Spongeman7

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2018
I'm no adcom, but I am almost certain it will not come across like this. Adcoms know that most students end up changing their specialty interests at some point through medical school. Most people won't expect you to know for certain which specialty you will go into before you even start your medical training. If those experiences are what forged your passion for medicine (which I think sound great, by the way), then you should include them!
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure, Ik I have read some other places that have said otherwise which I did not agree with, but I'm glad we have a unanimous decision that it is fine!

Reactions: 1 user

Spongeman7

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2018
People do not decide to enter medicine to become some generic doctor; they almost certainly have some image or idea of the kind of doctor they want to be. I find it extremely disingenuous to position yourself otherwise

additionally, you should write why you want to be a doctor and not project what you perceive adcoms want to hear.
Thank you! That is what I was thinking as well, it's best to write your story!

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.