Thoughts on Dr. Anna Pou and the Events at Memorial during Hurricane Katrina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoMD87

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We learned about this case during nursing school.

As critical care physicians, what are some thoughts and opinions on the events that occurred in this scenario?

Members don't see this ad.

In my understanding of the case, I agree wholly with Dr. Pou, and harshly disagree with the residents who decided to abandon the patients. Abandoning the patients is much less humane than giving them a lethal cocktail.

I know that since I am not a physician yet, there are many legal implications that I do not understand the complexities of. This is a very interesting case for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too little information to know for sure, but given how many of those were on vents without power, how does an understaffed late keep people alive in that scenario?

And yeah, I don’t see how you can go after some while ignoring the abandonment

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry in advance for ressurecting this post, but the book Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink very thoroughly covers this topic. I actually agree with the OP but some actions on the part of several physicians including Dr.Pou were questionable and the whole thing was FUBAR. If you have the time it's well worth the read for a deep dive into medical/legal ethics

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I'll have to check it out. I saw an interview with Mrs. Fink and it seemed that she was extremely critical of Dr. Pou so I gave it a pass. If its truly factual and balanced I'll check it out.

I work with Dr. Pou daily and find her to be an amazing physician.

I'll have to check it out. I saw an interview with Mrs. Fink and it seemed that she was extremely critical of Dr. Pou so I gave it a pass. If its truly factual and balanced I'll check it out.

I work with Dr. Pou daily and find her to be an amazing physician.
The first half was a recount of the story by interviews. There is most certainly a tinge of bias but I still found myself backing Dr.Pou's decision. Other details discussed made me concerned about how it was ultimately done. My end opinion was rather that there was a clear lack of coordinated authority and the people with the purse strings to help the hospital left everyone else to burn for the sake of money. So much of it was a mess that I think everyone was trying to be an advocate it their own way and with no central guidance and a lack of strong support heavy decisions were made. I ultimately feel that abandonment gave an extremely slim chance of survival to those patients but an extremely high chance of utter torture before dying. In a risk to benefit ratio to me it makes no sense to do that. Of course the taboo of euthanasia makes many knee jerkedly decide that it's murder... Such is life in the peanut gallery though...

I'm glad she wasn't prosecuted. Sounds like the main force pushing for it was the Louisiana Legislature.

I'm glad she wasn't prosecuted. Sounds like the main force pushing for it was the Louisiana Legislature.
Yeah. The back half of the book gave me an ulcer and frustrated me as a reader. I can't imagine being involved in that case.