Thoughts on Embryo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysium

Not Really An Old Beaver
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my classmates wrote this about embryo and I thought I would share it with you all.

I would like to start this post by saying that I know full well that both our anatomy professor and the rest of the school has nothing but our best interest at heart. That being said, it is with this subject in particular that I am left perplexed past the point of confusion and well into hysterical laughter. Therefore, when you’re beat and there is nothing you can do to stop the absolute insanity, then just laugh, because there is not a damn thing you can do to change the crazy things that some people think. So, let’s take out the boots and shovel.

I am ashamed of all of you!! How could you complain about embryology?! Are we not in medical school for the sole purpose of educating ourselves to be excellent physicians? And what better way than embryology? The structure and function of the body can only be understood though an inherent understanding of every minute detail of the development of the human body. For example, what exact day of development is the brain formed. Well, for the majority of the class it must not matter because we don’t have any brains. Otherwise we would inherently understand that life is all about the fetus. In fact when a person is born it should be a time of mourning, for the simple unfortunate reason that they are no longer fetuses. The following question might be asked by my fellow classmates: what do have to look forward to? (Stop at this point. I ask all non-believers to close this e-mail and go review your neuroscience, you are all too weak to read on) As future doctors who will never pass anatomy because it was 15% old embryology and 5% head and neck we have an eternity of hell waiting for us. This hell will be so painful, for in hell all that exists is Langman’s, an endless supply of it. The Simbryo CD will be playing that music nonstop. And you won’t be able to cover your ears because the growth factor BMG-666 will be missing, which means that we won’t have any arms in hell. Only super large ears due to SSH, FGF-8 and Lefty-2. We will all suffer for eternity, all of us as morulas, blastocyts and embryos. All along the music will still be playing over and over again. There is no escape, so repent now, throw away all your books except Langman’s, and study nothing else. I will help you repent my fellow students. I promise as the self appointed Langman’s czar to post pictures of embryos in every bathroom stall so that when we are brazen enough to take the time out and use the toilet we can be reminded of the more important things in life. I want every person in the hall to walk around with your Langman’s text book. And for those of you who are interested I will be leading a group (along with my secret Mormon missionaries THE UTERTUS) to the mall to teach the holy word of “The Langman’s”. We must save the world. VP of admissions, I will hope that you demand that all students be asked embryology questions in order to gain acceptances to TUN. TUN, by the way, stands for To Understand Notochord. CT, I will need all money diverted to an embryology research fund, we need to keep these embryos from coming out. Last but not least, the SGA need not worry. I have scheduled a meeting with President Bush and he has all but promised full military support. Long live Langman’s.

Members don't see this ad.

reminds me of mugatu :hungover:unno:

OHSU really hammers in the embryo, i guess? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I don't go to OHSU. But yes, our school really hammers embryo home and it sucks my ass.

i totally blew off embryo last year. now that i'm studying for boards, i'm glad i did. seems like the important stuff for boards covers maybe 10% the amount taught in first year embryology. i say "10% the amount taught" instead of "10% taught" because seems like the boards tests on a totally different set of facts than what i was taught. embryology sucks and is almost totally useless. i think guys should have the option of skipping embryo because let's face it, only weird dudes become obstetricians, so who cares?

Sounds like someone is being sarcastic and is really tired of studying embryology. If this isn't the case then I don't understand that person's writing.

Yeah, we're all so sick of embryo we're about to go bonkers. We have a year long anatomy course and my instuctor insists on testing us on 15% old embryo from last semester on this semester's exam (mind you, we're doing head and neck right now and don't have the time or energy to try and relearn the 15 chapters of embryo from last semester). He's convinced that anatomy and embryo are high yield on the boards, which we constantly tell him is bullsh1t, but he doesn't care. So, my classmate posted this on our bulletin board, completely tongue in cheek. It's sarcasm borne out of complete frustration. If you've ever studied embryo, you know what I mean.

a philosophical question:
which sucks more ass? psych or embryo?

the thing about embryo is that they actually have our best interests at heart. psychiatrists and psychologists, on the other hand, are arrogant closet douchebags.