Thoughts on Ferkauf School of Psychology/Yeshiva University PsyD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sherry641

Reaction score
Hi all, I just got accepted into Clinical Psych PsyD program of Ferkauf, and trying to decide if I should take their offer. I am an international student from China and so student loan would not be available for me, but luckily my parents are willing to help me pay my tuition. Even though I won't have the burden of debt after graduation, I am still wondering if the quality of the training at Ferkauf would worth the high tuition. Their statistics seems good, and I have not heard many negative comments about them. Is there anybody have experience with them? Any comments are welcome!

I also interviewed with William James College last week and I'm waiting for their decision, but I found that their reputation very controversial, based on some previous threads. Anybody has different thoughts?

Before I got any offer, I also thought about wait for another year and apply again next year. However, since I am an international student, I have to go back to China and apply from there, which I've heard it's gonna be harder to get in.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there a few years ago and really liked it. I’ve met several students from there at my externships and they all seem pretty happy and have gotten internships they were happy with. If finances aren’t a concern for you and you want a clinical career I think it’s a great option.

Reactions: 1 user
I met someone who went to that program while out on internship interviews and they seemed to like it. They had a financier and seemed to be geographically restricted, so it was a reasonable decision for them. Pass rate for the EPPP is pretty good so that's something. A downside that I can see is that not everyone attends an APA accredited internship, which is a huge barrier. If you get it, you might need to work harder to be competitive for an APA accredited internship and ignore wobbly advice that minimizing the importance of an APA accredited internship.

I've seen this at a few professional schools now where they do this weird thing with theoretical orientation where people are placed in a training program specific to that theoretical orientation. I don't really understand the point of it. Looks like they do that here.

Ignore WJC. It's a terrible program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there a few years ago and really liked it. I’ve met several students from there at my externships and they all seem pretty happy and have gotten internships they were happy with. If finances aren’t a concern for you and you want a clinical career I think it’s a great option.
Thank you! Do you mind if I ask which school you end up going?

I met someone who went to that program while out on internship interviews and they seemed to like it. They had a financier and seemed to be geographically restricted, so it was a reasonable decision for them. Pass rate for the EPPP is pretty good so that's something. A downside that I can see is that not everyone attends an APA accredited internship, which is a huge barrier. If you get it, you might need to work harder to be competitive for an APA accredited internship and ignore wobbly advice that minimizing the importance of an APA accredited internship.

I've seen this at a few professional schools now where they do this weird thing with theoretical orientation where people are placed in a training program specific to that theoretical orientation. I don't really understand the point of it. Looks like they do that here.

Ignore WJC. It's a terrible program.
Thank you for your reply! Can you explain the theoretical orientation a bit more?