Thoughts on having an international language translated Step 1 Question Bank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmletiwn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am thinking of developing a Step 1 question bank that have questions set to non-English languages. I wanted to ask everyone here if you would think this would be helpful in your studying? Particularly if you are an international medical student, seeking to pass Step 1 and Step 2 USMLE's, would this be something you would want access to?

My family members are immigrants, and speaking with a lot of family members about medical education, I've come to realize that a lot of international individuals who earn a medical degree in another country end up not being able to practice medicine in the United States because they are not familiar with how to study for the Step 1 and Step 2 exams.

This is a huge hurdle for them, even if basic English is not a problem. I thought that we can fill a transition for international MD's to help them pass the USMLE exams by having a "dual translation" version of a question bank.

Such a "International Language Question Bank" would consist of creating a "dual test presentation" screen where--say--the left-hand of the screen is in English with the practice question (and explanations), and the right-hand of the screen has the reader's native language. The user can then read back and forth, comparing vocabulary and medical learning topics to learn.

Although a lot of international MD's are well-qualified, they are not able to practice medicine in the United States because of difficulties passing the Step 1 and 2 exams. I am thinking of developing a language platform that will enable international students to begin to gain confidence and medical knowledge in solid English to make that transition. Increasing the number of international physicians who are able to practice here would also help fill the need for more physicians in areas such as family medicine and internal medicine.

Please share your opinions!! I would love to hear back from you!!

THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an IMG, so please explain to me what this would accomplish? Maybe I'm wrong, but you're going to be taking the test in English. How would it be better to practice the questions in anything but English? I feel like reasoning in a different language on the real exam would be tough enough as it is, let alone if all your practice time has been spent familiarizing yourself with questions in your own language.

I'm not an IMG, so please explain to me what this would accomplish? Maybe I'm wrong, but you're going to be taking the test in English. How would it be better to practice the questions in anything but English? I feel like reasoning in a different language on the real exam would be tough enough as it is, let alone if all your practice time has been spent familiarizing yourself with questions in your own language.

IMG here. Simple answer is to learn English well before sitting step 1. People lose out on matching after interviews for having abysmal English, real talk.

Reactions: 3 users
I think joining Berlitz or some community college to learn English will help more to prepare for the steps and beyond. A friend from East Europe who had very little knowledge of English learned English in community college and by being friendly and talking a lot-talking/speaking with everyone always helps to learn the local language. Lots of older Russians have learned English at community colleges, one young russian man told me he would borrow tapes from the local public library and repeat what he heard all the time, he started speaking with an American accent-yes there is something called an american accent.

. Lots of older Russians have learned English at community colleges, one young russian man told me he would borrow tapes from the local public library
Related to this, I am at the public library a lot and noticed they have something called "ESL Cafe" once a week during the evenings, where people who speak English as a second language come and practice English for free, with tutors I think. I am sure they could guide students to resources as well.

Last edited: