thoughts on if I need to push usmle back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trs88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions on if I should push back my usmle step 1 or keep it at my current day?

My dates so far: May 30th is usmle step 1 and June 10th is Comlex (that date is set in stone, that's the last day I can take it). July 24th is when rotations start and on June 14th - June 20 is a mandatory course with the school where everyday is 8am - 5pm full of lectures. I think after that, school is finished. I need to ask.

To start, my school isn't super nice about giving us dedicated study time. "Dedicated" doesn't even start until May 19th. For the last 2 weeks (leading up to now) and then leading up to the 19th, I have been studying nonstop for usmle. Studying consists of uworld, FA, usmlerx.

The reason why I'm asking for your thoughts, is that I'm going too slow. I'm not sure if I'll finish uworld in time for May 30th. Right now, I've only done: the first 200 pages of FA, 500 questions done in usmleRx, and I have 2126 questions left of Uworld. Meaning, I can't even take any NBME assessments to see where I'm at because there is so much that I literally haven't even looked at. I had schedules worked out and other resources I planned to use, but it all fell apart because my school really likes to have mandatory events that last for hours (these events pretty much are daily until the 19th).

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions on if I should push back my usmle step 1 or keep it at my current day?

My dates so far: May 30th is usmle step 1 and June 10th is Comlex (that date is set in stone, that's the last day I can take it). July 24th is when rotations start and on June 14th - June 20 is a mandatory course with the school where everyday is 8am - 5pm full of lectures. I think after that, school is finished. I need to ask.

To start, my school isn't super nice about giving us dedicated study time. "Dedicated" doesn't even start until May 19th. For the last 2 weeks (leading up to now) and then leading up to the 19th, I have been studying nonstop for usmle. Studying consists of uworld, FA, usmlerx.

The reason why I'm asking for your thoughts, is that I'm going too slow. I'm not sure if I'll finish uworld in time for May 30th. Right now, I've only done: the first 200 pages of FA, 500 questions done in usmleRx, and I have 2126 questions left of Uworld. Meaning, I can't even take any NBME assessments to see where I'm at because there is so much that I literally haven't even looked at. I had schedules worked out and other resources I planned to use, but it all fell apart because my school really likes to have mandatory events that last for hours (these events pretty much are daily until the 19th).

Most DO students who push their USMLE back end up not taking it so I'd think twie about doing that. Put those few classes on the backburner, stop doing USMLERx, and focus all your energy on UWorld. With 2126 questions left in UWorld you can do 2-3 blocks a day + FA and still have days left over to do practice NBMEs.

Reactions: 2 users
Most DO students who push their USMLE back end up not taking it so I'd think twie about doing that. Put those few classes on the backburner, stop doing USMLERx, and focus all your energy on UWorld. With 2126 questions left in UWorld you can do 2-3 blocks a day + FA and still have days left over to do practice NBMEs.

That is a plan that I should be able to follow. Looks like back to FA I go! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)

10 days between USMLE and COMLEX is a lot of time (maybe too much time). I don't see why you wouldn't try to push your USMLE back one week to around June 5-7. 3 days is plenty of time to prepare for COMLEX and it wouldn't hurt to have the extra week for USMLE.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
10 days between USMLE and COMLEX is a lot of time (maybe too much time). I don't see why you wouldn't try to push your USMLE back one week to around June 5-7. 3 days is plenty of time to prepare for COMLEX and it wouldn't hurt to have the extra week for USMLE.

I would personally need those 10 days for comlex :/ It wasn't until this last semester that the school finally got on board and decided to teach opp that's high yield on comlex instead of clinical opp medicine. I've tried reading Savarese in the past and it literally makes no sense, hence I would need time to understand and figure out what it's telling me.

Also, my scheduling permit for usmle ends in May. So if I was going to pay the $70 to extend it for an extra 3 months. I'm not sure if it would be best to do it for just a few days instead of pushing to to July or so.

I would personally need those 10 days for comlex :/ It wasn't until this last semester that the school finally got on board and decided to teach opp that's high yield on comlex instead of clinical opp medicine. I've tried reading Savarese in the past and it literally makes no sense, hence I would need time to understand and figure out what it's telling me.

Also, my scheduling permit for usmle ends in May. So if I was going to pay the $70 to extend it for an extra 3 months. I'm not sure if it would be best to do it for just a few days instead of pushing to to July or so.

You can know absolutely nothing about OMM, but as long as you read the greenbook a couple of days before the COMLEX, you will be fine. I knew absolutely nothing about OMM. My school did not have any written exams on OMM. My school graded us on OMM based on attendance and practicals that only required an hour of studying before the practical began.

When I was taking the COMLEX, there were a bunch of questions that I had no idea what they were talking about...never even seen some of the **** they were talking about. But I don't think any students who were taking the test did. I ended up scoring in the highest percentage on OMM on the COMLEX.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, a small update if anyone was interested or if anyone in the future is reading this thread to figure out what they want to do. But I'm 90% sure that I'm going to push my step 1 back to late June or early july depending on date availability. I haven't done it yet; I'm stalling until the 15th (we have our last exam and it's a few days before the school's mandatory comsae) to take a self assessment and see where I honestly am at.

From when I made this thread to now, I am down to 1742 uworld questions. I know it's not that bad but I don't feel like I'm comprehending the material anymore. I feel like I'm just transcribing the explanations instead of having the time to actively let them soak in. For example, did half of the cardiopath questions, did average on them (murmurs are my worst, I can't pick out the clues in the question stem), took notes on half the explanations. Had to stop for a mandatory school event. Got back home, had dinner, finished taking notes. Did the other half of the cardiopath section, missed even more questions than I did on the first half and it covered the same things. Murmurs, *here's a graph, here's a description of a mumur, where on the graph is it happening?* missed all that even though I took notes on it early. So I think my issue is either no time to review my notes or a gap in foundation knowledge.

I still plan to keep doing uworld as I am because it'll be good for comlex.

If your rotations start on July 24, then take the max alloted time to do USMLE. If you meant June 24, then it's time to sacrifice the USMLE. If you take the USMLE weeks into your rotations, you will have gotten cold and probably would have let essential knowledge decay.

Reactions: 1 user
If your rotations start on July 24, then take the max alloted time to do USMLE. If you meant June 24, then it's time to sacrifice the USMLE. If you take the USMLE weeks into your rotations, you will have gotten cold and probably would have let essential knowledge decay.

Nope, July 24 is when rotations start :)

Sorry to bring this back up to the top, but I got some updates. Some good some bad. Mostly bad. :(

I just finished NBME 13 and I got a 180 on it. The only subjects that were in the center were: Micro and Immuno, System blood and lymph, System skin, system general principles. Followed by: Genetics, Renal resp were the next "bigger" sections that were near the center. Literally every other subject was on the left. What's weird is that I hadn't even reviewed blood, skin or renal in FA yet.

The only good news is that before I had taken it, I pushed back my step to July 19th. And then with comlex, a bunch of my classmates spoke to the dean and the last day to take it now, is June 28th. So I moved my comlex to that.

To improve, I'm not really sure? I know the answer is UFAP. But, I'm at 56% done with uworld, 400 something pages into FA. Then that's about it. I have boards and beyond that I've started watching again and I feel that it is helping in explaining things but I have no idea what other supplemental study material I need.

If anyone has any additional thoughts, I'd appreciate it. I know I'll probably have to cancel step 1 but I might as well still keep it open as an option till the new date gets closer.

Update 5/18/17
Instead of making a new post, I'll just add a few things to this last post. My class and I had to take comsae D today; the cut off was 375. Anything under that and they'd compare your score to your class rank to see if you would be an at risk student. I ended up with a 400. So, I passed the cut off. Still no where near a good enough score but with my Comlex now set for June 28th and usmle on July 19th, I think I'll be able to pass or get an "okay" score on both.

I didn't really like the comsae D today, it felt like the questions were too easy even though I got a good amount wrong (I don't know how many, the report doesn't say). Another flag against it - we caught our favorite pharm professor hanging out and we asked her a few questions from the comsae. Every drug that we brought up as ones we never heard of "Oh, they don't even sell that drug anymore :)" was her response and then she explained things as best she could. She got annoyed with the exam when she would say what the 1st line drug would be and we would respond - "Yah, that wasn't a choice" then the second DoC, "Yah, that wasn't on there either".

Update 5/31/17
Been studying hard like I'm supposed to. Down to 34% of uworld left but I do have some harder topics remaining, gi, heme, renal, resp. I was really banking on taking one of the comsae's around this point in time, but the company removed 1 of the 3 leaving only 2. I'm still underprepared and I didn't want to waste A or C, so I grabbed one of the -old- nbme and did that just to see if I knew content. Yes, I know don't trust the score and the exams are 100% different now. For me atleast, it still covers the same "topics" and if I don't know something, I'm not going to know it. And that proved to be true. I went up a lot compared to my first nbme, my first comment about the 180 was the converted step score, that was the nbme score. I think my usmle converted score was a 160ish? Anyway, using the formulas internet people suggested, my score went up to a usmle converted 197 this time. Or, another way to word it is I got right 120/200 questions on the first nmbe and this time I got 143/200. That's still really bad, I know. I know it's no where near passing.

But, it at least shows improvement on my part and I still have a full month until comlex and usmle is in july. So I still have a while to prepare. If I looked at the topics for this old nbme, I missed 11 renal, 7 heme, 7 immune, 5 neuro basic anatomy, 6 ish biochem types. And I hadn't even studied renal or heme yet so that's not the most awfulist thing ever. I was able to reason out and get some of the renal questions right. But, it looks like that's going to be a tough subject. I think I'll take comsae C some time around June 10th and see what I improved on or got worse on. Then around the 20th or so, I'll take comsae A.

It'll be rough studying at that point because mandatory classes last for a week 8-5, and then I have to move to a new state for rotations and live in a hotel for about a week because the landlord messed around and let the current tenant stay longer than they were supposed to.

6/12/17
Little late on my update, but I took Comsae C 2 days ago and bumped my score up to a 500. I thought I had done better since I knew a good amount. When I took it, I still hadn't covered GI or Heme (the last 2 sections of FA that I hadn't covered). And there was an odd amount of GI so that was strange. All my categories went up except for 3 went down (?) - physiology (I think that was because of all the GI), asymptomatic, and health care delivery issues. I can't even really figure out what questions would fit into those last two categories. A good amount of people on the comlex thread are saying not to bother with the score and to just focus on learning the material that was tested on. Which is a good idea, except for the fact that a lot of the comlex takers are saying how the comsaes couldn't be farther from being decent prep. So, I'm probably not going to take comsae A and instead focus on the topics that people are saying are high yield.

Just gotta keep studying and hope that I can at least pass. Because after that, I have almost 3 weeks of pure studying for usmle. And even as a DO student, I have to take it. I literally don't have a desire for what residency I want to do into, all I want is to get back to Texas. That's it. Problem is, the AOA has only 19 residencies, 3 are derm, and none of them are near the major city which is near my home. Compare to ACGME, there are hundreds of Texas residencies and a ridiculous amount that are in or near my major city. Thankfully, there are peds, IM, neuro, PM&R that are nearby. So as long as I get a 200. I might be able to go home.

6/27/17 @ 7:15 pm
Only a few more hours until I take COMLEX! Man it has been such a scary, rough ride. I am glad that after tomorrow - one test will finally be over with. I've been told that comlex has a high first time pass rate, so that helps. Then, from reading the comlex specific threads, it seems like this years batch of exams are falling under most of my strengths. So fingers crossed that tomorrow goes well and that even if I know the info, I don't fall for any trick questions. Like the question is giving all the info for Corynebacterium Diphtheria until one little thing says nope and the answer is C Diff.

Last edited: