Thoughts on my Chances for getting into Dental School? Help! 2020-2021 Round

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

em1012

Reaction score
My stats are...
GPA: 3.88 (Dean's List every semester)
Science GPA: 3.79
Major: Microbiology (I attend a four-year university)
DAT scores: 19AA/19TS/18PAT/19GC/19OC/20BIO/16QR/23RC
LOR: One from a dentist I've shadowed, one from my major advisor, two from science professors.
Jobs Worked since in School: Taekwondo Instructor, Organic Chemistry Supplemental Instructor, Chem/Calc/English Tutor.
Shadowing: 110+ Hours
Volunteer Opportunities: 60+ hours with Remote Area Medical clinics and Miles for Smiles as a volunteer dental assistant, and about 200+ more because I'm the president of my school's departmental volunteer club. Also about 30 hours for volunteering with a road race event planning company.
I've had lots of leadership experince (I've completed a study abroad course called Leadership and Professionals in Global Health last year in a third-world country). I hold a position in my school's ASDA club and have been on a past SGA Homecoming committee.

TN resident. Applying to - UTHSC, Louisville, University of Kentucky, Colorado, Buffalo, Tufts, MUSC (I have multiple relatives who have gone to MUSC for pharmacy school).

What do you think? Any help is great!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely retake your DAT because you have a high GPA but a below average DAT score = these two don't correlate well and may come across as grade inflation to schools (you did well in classes and got As, but you couldn't perform at that same level on the DAT, which is a standardized test everyone has to take, and really the only way for schools to be able to compare GPAs among applicants = your school may have been really easy). In addition, the fact that you are a tutor for OC, GC (I'm assuming), and Calc but you scored only 19/19/16 on those subjects would raise a red flag imo.

In regard to your school list, MUSC is pretty OOS unfriendly if I remember correctly... and I'm not sure how likely you would be to hear back from Colorado and Buffalo with your DAT. I think you do have a chance this cycle, although it's a low one, but I would add private schools to your list as they tend to be more forgiving on stats. They would be schools like LECOM, Case, MWU IL/AZ, MOSDOH, ASDOH, etc. I'd have about 12-14 schools on your list because your DAT makes things harder for you.... Definitely look at this spreadsheet to see what schools fit the range for your DAT: Dental School Statistics, and post #46 has updated stats from last year.

Good luck nevertheless!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your thoughts, I really appreciate it. Do you think I should still apply? I just get so nervous lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your thoughts, I really appreciate it. Do you think I should still apply? I just get so nervous lol
That's a tricky one because while people do get in with 19s, you never know how the cycle will be/how competitive the other applicants are this year. Also, the 16QR may filter you out from schools automatically.... If you're up for it, I would likely retake your DAT first and score a 21-22+ to match it with your GPA. If you don't want to do that, then I would apply to a wide variety of schools that are reasonable right in June, see how this cycle goes, and if you don't get any acceptances, prepare for a retake and reapply next cycle.

How much do the admissions folks at UTHSC know you? You probably have a decent but not great shot for your in-state with 19/19/18, but certainly it's not a guarantee. Your other hours working with dentists in volunteering environments should help you a bit with the in-state. I agree I would be more assured if you had 20's across the board on your DAT, which isn't too far from what you have already done.

How much do the admissions folks at UTHSC know you? You probably have a decent but not great shot for your in-state with 19/19/18, but certainly it's not a guarantee. Your other hours working with dentists in volunteering environments should help you a bit with the in-state. I agree I would be more assured if you had 20's across the board on your DAT, which isn't too far from what you have already done.

Hi, thank you for your input! I have met the TN person twice, and have met the Louisville person twice as well. I believe that is why my advisors told me to not retake the DAT - is because I'm close to 20s.