thoughts on my poor grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddswanneb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I am writing this to get some advices.
I have started my pre-dental path since 2008 with biology major at a community college and transfer to a 4-year university with biochem major. I also did master’s with biotech and finished it last year.

At a community college, overall gpa is 3.87.

Biology classes: general bio (A), organism bio (C), cell/molecular bio (A)
Chemistry classes: general chem 1 (B), general chem 2 (A), Organic chem 1 (A), Organic chem 2 (A)

At a 4-year university, the GPA is 2.7, and the sGPA is around 2.3~2.4.
In master’s program (biotech), the overall GPA is 3.8.

I have done shadowing and volunteering for 2 years.
I never had a research experience at school, but I as a research scientist at a biotech company have an experience for 2 years, and I have gotten a FDA approval under my name on Class II medical device, which is a clinical chemistry reagent.

Will there be a chance that I can be accepted by average dental schools in U.S?

Members don't see this ad.

It's very possible. How did you do on the DAT? Have you written a personal statement yet? The dental schools consider the application as a whole when making decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi.

I am writing this to get some advices.
I have started my pre-dental path since 2008 with biology major at a community college and transfer to a 4-year university with biochem major. I also did master’s with biotech and finished it last year.

At a community college, overall gpa is 3.87.

Biology classes: general bio (A), organism bio (C), cell/molecular bio (A)
Chemistry classes: general chem 1 (B), general chem 2 (A), Organic chem 1 (A), Organic chem 2 (A)

At a 4-year university, the GPA is 2.7, and the sGPA is around 2.3~2.4.
In master’s program (biotech), the overall GPA is 3.8.

I have done shadowing and volunteering for 2 years.
I never had a research experience at school, but I as a research scientist at a biotech company have an experience for 2 years, and I have gotten a FDA approval under my name on Class II medical device, which is a clinical chemistry reagent.

Will there be a chance that I can be accepted by average dental schools in U.S?

Honestly, you would get multiple invitations for interviews from dental schools.
if you just scored around 21-22 in the DAT.

Have you started preparing yet, do you need any help on how to prepare, I can give you links to people who did well

I think you can do it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's very possible. How did you do on the DAT? Have you written a personal statement yet? The dental schools consider the application as a whole when making decisions.
I have not taken DAT yet. I was going to start preparing for the test if there is a possibility because i am working in the industry currently.

Honestly, you would get multiple invitations for interviews from dental schools.
if you just scored around 21-22 in the DAT.

Have you started preparing yet, do you need any help on how to prepare, I can give you links to people who did well

I think you can do it!

That is something good to hear. Thank you for your advise. I have not started preparing anything about DAT. I just bought a DAT practice book from barrons.

Please help me to prepare the rest of the process. I might have to quit my job once everything is set up.

Ic5mOsT.jpg

Might not be much help, as the link above suggests there is a whole forum post about this. Best of luck to you :)

That is something good to hear. Thank you for your advise. I have not started preparing anything about DAT. I just bought a DAT practice book from barrons.

Please help me to prepare the rest of the process. I might have to quit my job once everything is set up.

I would start here:
DAT Breakdown Compilation Thread (future test takers, look here!)

This thread contains a lot of useful information plus posts by other users who did well on the dat
if you read at least 3-4 of them, you'll have an idea where to start and how to prepare.

But basically:
For Biology, you need to read either cliff ap + Ferlise notes or ( Kaplan bio+cliff ap bio) or any other ap bio books you have + Youtube vidoes by topic
For chemistry you need Chad's Videos for chem and ochem
or Mike's Videos from Bootcamp dat

DAT destroyer for practice ( a must)
Math destroyer +youtube videos for QR(math)

Bootcamp Dat and Datqvault are some of the resources for practice test, others like (crack the dat)
Bootcamp dat has practice tests and programs to make your practice PAT called generators (pat is the part of the test where you have to do perceptual ability questions) this section needs more practice, you can't just jump to test mode right away.

There are other websites for practice tests like achiever, top scores.

But yeah, read what people did and learn from them.

as for timing, it depends, takes about 1 month to 2 months review and 1 month practice
or 1 month review, 1 month practice. depends on you and your schedule.

Best of luck..

Ps: I heard Barron's book is good for starting PAT.

I would start here:
DAT Breakdown Compilation Thread (future test takers, look here!)

This thread contains a lot of useful information plus posts by other users who did well on the dat
if you read at least 3-4 of them, you'll have an idea where to start and how to prepare.

But basically:
For Biology, you need to read either cliff ap + Ferlise notes or ( Kaplan bio+cliff ap bio) or any other ap bio books you have + Youtube vidoes by topic
For chemistry you need Chad's Videos for chem and ochem
or Mike's Videos from Bootcamp dat

DAT destroyer for practice ( a must)
Math destroyer +youtube videos for QR(math)

Bootcamp Dat and Datqvault are some of the resources for practice test, others like (crack the dat)
Bootcamp dat has practice tests and programs to make your practice PAT called generators (pat is the part of the test where you have to do perceptual ability questions) this section needs more practice, you can't just jump to test mode right away.

There are other websites for practice tests like achiever, top scores.

But yeah, read what people did and learn from them.

as for timing, it depends, takes about 1 month to 2 months review and 1 month practice
or 1 month review, 1 month practice. depends on you and your schedule.

Best of luck..

Ps: I heard Barron's book is good for starting PAT.
Thank you so much for good information. This will really guide me to the right way.

Thank you so much for good information. This will really guide me to the right way.

Also, some dat takers follow Ari's study guide( but you don't know who Ari is, Ari is the founder of dat-bootcamp and he did well on the test got into Columbia)
I personally couldn't as I like to study a topic by topic (which was wrong now I realized)
but his schedule looks good and you can adjust it.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/datbootcamp/Ari'sStudyGuide.pdf