Thoughts on my school list? (510, 4.0)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gakupovi

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have created a medical school list in preparation for this cycle. I am a Texas resident so I'm sure that has some impact on where I should be applying OOS. I have presented some information about my application below and was wondering what y'all think of my school list (even further below). I have a feeling it is a bit top-heavy. Thanks in advance to all who take the time to read this and offer advice!! I would appreciate everything from "take this school out" to "add this one."

Some information about me:
Graduating from the University of Arkansas, Summa Cum Laude
Obtaining a B.S. in Biochemistry
GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 510 (128/125/128/129)
Demographics: Caucasian male from TX

Research: About 500 hours of research in a biochemistry laboratory. Successfully defended an Honors Thesis Defense with a perfect score. One publication should be submitted for review by the time of application; a second manuscript in the works. Served as a primary mentor in the lab, helping other undergrads navigate their Honors research. Two poster presentations, one national conference.

Extracurriculars:
250 hrs shadowing across pretty much all forms of surgery as well as some primary care (pediatrics and internal medicine)
100 hrs clinical volunteering
50 hrs non-clinical volunteering
Public health summer study abroad in Thailand. Identified an area of health that could use improvement then devised and implemented an intervention
Drill Instructor for University Chemistry for two semesters (15+ hrs/week, about 500 hrs total)
Worked part-time (~25 hrs/week) as a cook and bartender
FIMRC Chapter Secretary

Awards:
Selected as top 20 in the graduating class (taking into account ECs and community involvement)
Received multiple grants for research and study abroad

School list (in no particular order):

Texas:

Baylor

UT Austin Dell

Texas Tech

TCU/UNTHSC

UT San Antonio

Texas A&M

OOS:

U of Michigan (far reach, I know)

Georgetown

Drexel

U of Cincinnati

St. Louis U

Rutgers

Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad.

This list is just too short, and your ECs are weak in the volunteering category. You focused wayy too much shadowing, and not enough on your clinical hours and non-clinical volunteer hours.
Anyways, I don’t think you are competitive for Baylor, Michigan, Cincy, or Dartmouth because of your MCAT score. You should add a lot more schools like:
UTMB
UTRGV
Tulane
Creighton
Seton Hall
Temple
Wake Forest
MCW
Oakland
VCU
EVMS
Penn State
Geisinger
Etc

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
More details on your clinical and non-clinical volunteering. As it stands the community service/non-clinical volunteering is lower than desired.
Clinical volunteering was at a local non-profit clinic serving uninsured and underinsured. Basically recorded vitals and took care of urinary analyses and similar tasks. Non-clinical volunteering at a homeless shelter/food pantry.

Apply to all your Texas schools. Also Arkansas. Most OOS MD schools interview few Texas resident with no connection to those other schools or states since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school.

Reactions: 1 user