Technology Thoughts on Nook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkeyjerky

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have one?

I was thinking about getting an ipad, but this seems like a pretty nice alternative for someone who's gonna be using it mainly for reading pdf's and surfing the web. Anyone have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The best bet was a Touchpad with CyanogenMod, however, that ship has more or less sailed. The Nook Color is a good second choice.

Wife has the Nook Color and likes it. The glare is a bit of an issue and she wishes she would have gotten the kindle since she likes to sit in the sunroom and read quite a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have one?

I was thinking about getting an ipad, but this seems like a pretty nice alternative for someone who's gonna be using it mainly for reading pdf's and surfing the web. Anyone have any thoughts?

Where are you going to use it mostly? The eInk based readers have the advantage of working well in direct sunlight (just like a book!) but the disadvantage of doing nothing but reading books. I hear PDF support on the Kindle/Nook can be iffy as well.

The iPad is certainly more versatile, but the battery life and display performance (for books anyways) will be worse. FWIW, the Nook Color seems to be pretty hackable.

Where are you going to use it mostly? The eInk based readers have the advantage of working well in direct sunlight (just like a book!) but the disadvantage of doing nothing but reading books. I hear PDF support on the Kindle/Nook can be iffy as well.

The iPad is certainly more versatile, but the battery life and display performance (for books anyways) will be worse. FWIW, the Nook Color seems to be pretty hackable.
eInk also flashes Black->White with every page turn, something I find very annoying.

I'd probably use it mostly for reading textbooks as well as internet and email. Not really considering an eInk reader at all, honestly.