Thoughts on not taking Physics II until after applying to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confusionanddelay

Reaction score
I'm a non-trad who is not exactly in the best financial situation. My undergrad GPA is really terrible but I still want to apply to dental school this year. Outside of biology, my pre-reqs were completed after graduating through a DIY post-bacc (3.4 cGPA/sGPA). I have 2 remaining pre-reqs, Ochem II and physics. I'm preparing for the DAT now, so I know I have to take Ochem II ASAP. Due to how expensive the application process is and seeing as physics isn't tested on the DAT, would it be bad idea to wait until after applying to take physics II? I know an A in physics II would definitely help strengthen my application, but at the same time, saving that extra $1000+ would help me out a lot too.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a non-trad who is not exactly in the best financial situation. My undergrad GPA is really terrible but I still want to apply to dental school this year. Outside of biology, my pre-reqs were completed after graduating through a DIY post-bacc (3.4 cGPA/sGPA). I have 2 remaining pre-reqs, Ochem II and physics. I'm preparing for the DAT now, so I know I have to take Ochem II ASAP. Due to how expensive the application process is and seeing as physics isn't tested on the DAT, would it be bad idea to wait until after applying to take physics II? I know an A in physics II would definitely help strengthen my application, but at the same time, saving that extra $1000+ would help me out a lot too.
I believe waiting until after applying would not be a problem - just put Physics II down under "planned coursework" on your application. Like you said, physics is not on the DAT so you're good there. As long as you take the course before matriculation (since it is a prerequisite) you should be fine. Additionally, if you took it now and got an A, I think it would only contribute a tiny amount to your GPA anyways. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing wrong with it, I took Physics I and II both after applying plus several other pre reqs. That’s what the in-progress section is for.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

You will be fine. Take care of physics in the fall.

Reactions: 1 user