Thoughts on OSU vs. other DO programs vs. Ou

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dylan4081

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on whether to apply to OSU, other DO programs, or OU. I live in Oklahoma. I have a GPA of 3.5 but have 24 more hours to complete, and I am taking the MCAT in april and have been scoring 30's on practice exams. I'm really torn on where I would apply based on my application. I have over 100+ volunteer hours, have held at least 6 or 7 exec positions the past three years, have held benefit events accumulating over $5,000 for various charities, have been a college ambassador for Southern Tide for the last three years, have 30 hours of shadowing, and 40 hours of clinical volunteering. I just want to know what my chances are at these various schools. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply broadly, then make your choice. I assume you've researched the schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Apply broadly. Narrow down when you get interviews. Be sure to tour locations you like outside of the interview and talk to current/past students.
I chose OSU with no regrets.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply broadly, then make your choice. I assume you've researched the schools.
I have researched the schools, I'm more concerned about my GPA though. I had a 4.0 the first two semesters, then a 3.5, 2.9, 3.4, 3.4, then a 4.0 this last semester. The reason for my fluctuation in grades is due to getting to busy with my organizations and namely partying. Wasn't really studying. However, now I've matured considerately and I don't see any reason why I won't continue to get 4's.

I would apply to a minimum of 8-10 schools. And apply EARLY. If you get accepted by a top choice, you can always back out of other interviews

I would apply to a minimum of 8-10 schools. And apply EARLY. If you get accepted by a top choice, you can always back out of other interviews
That was kind of the plan. I need to get my LORs though, I have two people so far I can get a guaranteed LOR but the third will be trickier. When you say 8-10 schools are you referring to MD programs or DO? Does it really matter?

That was kind of the plan. I need to get my LORs though, I have two people so far I can get a guaranteed LOR but the third will be trickier. When you say 8-10 schools are you referring to MD programs or DO? Does it really matter?
You should be focusing on your MCAT and not thinking about schools as yet. You're MCAT will be dictating how many and to which schools you will be applying to.

For those schools, as a resident, you have a good chance at either one assuming you have a decent MCAT. That said, you should still apply broadly. I recommend taking a tour of both schools to see if you prefer one or the other. To me, they had very different 'vibes.'